my 16 valve A

Robbie

Hi everyone,

after being a bit dormant (re: lazy) lately and after speaking with Robbie following my wanted ad i've decided to put my A on here for a few people to take a look at.

The shell is amazing - it's a low mileage all original solid example.

original sills, arches the lot! Got it from Martin in stockport 3 years ago and i've built this in the street where i live. (nightmare!)

this is the 4th A i've had - first was a V8 one that appeared on ebay about 2 yrs ago in yorkshire. lovely car but due to not cutting the engine bay i had to run the exhausts forwards and under the crossmember - nerve wracking under heavy breaking!

i'll post some pics of my latest one once i play with photo bucket and get that sorted.

cheers.Image0011.jpg

Image0041.jpghttp://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/garrycroft/Image0001.jpg

Garry

I'll get some interior ones and engine bay ones sorted asap.

and yes, i admit it, that IS a hyundai "coupe" badge on the rear.

brief spec is:

spax rears

monroe fronts

17's

standard interior reupholstered - but a few signature extras (await the pic's)

braided lines

carlton vents

standard rear brakes

full stainless exhaust

hot cams

chipped

Rolling roaded at 187 bhp (it'll hit 90 in third but potters about like a *****cat when it needs/has to)

later opel chrome badging

locking bonnet pins

plans for the future are:

remote servo (3:1 ratio) - anyone got one cheaper than the £200.00 one's on ebay?

tidy wiring

install stereo and maybe, just may maybe go for a turbo motor. I want a Broadspeed eater!

also anyone have any recommendations for the following:

1. my front springgs are cut and shut's but take a beating - have new low ones made or can i get off the shelf jobs?

2. rear brakes - would mind discs eventually - easy/cheap options?

3. can robbie sell me his chrome 16v motor for £100.00 purlease???

opinions/criticism/advice welcomed.

Garry.

wheels ain't chrome they are silver centres with stainless steel rims/lips - glad you like em!

the shell is still the most impressive thing for me here - after having 4 A's (the V8 one only retained the roof and rear quarters of the original shell!) it was amazing to find one this good (albeit in beige cellulose!)

took it to Cossvaux of sheffield to install the motor and get it running - who did precisely nothing with it for 1 1/2 yrs, i took several weeks holidays off to go get it on promises of it being ready only to find it sat outside with 2 inches of water in it and beer cans on the roof - just under a year ago they called saying they're going out of business (surprise!) and i've a day to get my car or it'd get crushed.

lovely people,.... (apply barge pole in heavy doses if anyone comes across the people from this place in future...)

it all goes to show that "if you want something doing" or at least get decent testemonials.

• 2 weeks later...

Your car looks truely yumski, the side view is a perfect example of the lovely shape and lines of the 'A'. Im also glad to see 17"s on it as thats what I want on mine they complement the chrome detail perfectly. Are they Wolfies? I want Wolfies[V](sulk)

PS You should've found out where the owner of the garage lived and set fire to his car (after knocking him out)[B)]. F**king outrageous behaviour towards your special car or any other customer for that matter! get away with it all day long (w@nk@$)id="purple">

¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸$©øøßÿ$øø¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸

¤¨¨¤i have drain bamage¤¨¨¤

A Type 2.4 Berlinetta

A Type 2.4

Opel GTid="purple">

Quote from SkoobySoo.

"PS You should've found out where the owner of the garage lived and set fire to his car (after knocking him out). F**king outrageous behaviour towards your special car or any other customer for that matter! get away with it all day long (w@nk@$)"

Brilliant, PMSL[:D][:D][:D]

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

[}:)]Well, it really p!$$!z me off! you'de have to at least put demolition explosives up his cars derierre (or just up his). PS dont forget to change yer pants Opel2000[;)]!id="purple">

[:D]I love V[8]s I do!!![:D]

¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸$©øøßÿ$øø¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸

¤¨¨¤i have drain bamage¤¨¨¤

A Type 2.4 Berlinetta

A Type 2.4

Opel GT

http://www.rally-bird-v8.piczo.comid="purple">

• 1 month later...

in reference to the garage that ripped me off and wrecked my car (see previous posts on this topic) i think the ebay advert offering c20xe and turbo conversions could be the same people. (trading as three initials and then VAUX)

if it's a big guy called will - then take my experience into consideration before trusting them to carry out work - if it isn't them then good luck, just hope you get better service than i did!

not slagging trustworthy companies off - just don't want anyone to go through what i did!

id="size3">Hi Garry, Very cool Manta 'A', black seems to be the 'in' colour. Wheels look the biz too. Nice list of upgrades to go with the 16v. Would have been nice to have read the whole build. You had 4 'A's ....keen or what!

You must be well sick with that garage, to do nothing for over a year. It does seem to happen now and again. Certain garage take the work on then do little or nothing. The worst case I heard of was a guy in my town, payed a garage to restore his Jenson Interseptor. He knew it would be a long job and expensive, paid them about £10,000 but in the fist year, they only done about £3k's of work and had no intention of doing anymore, work just stopped. When I last saw him he was going to take them to court.

Will start to post my Manta build on here at the weekend.

Cheers.....Mal

OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today.... before its too late!

• 4 months later...

hi everyone!

*******UPDATE******

A decent C20LET is on the way into the A! (cheers Bob!)

along with wilwoods, biiiiiig discs and a revamp of the engine bay.

won't be as shiney as Robbie's under the bonnet (don't you just hate him!) but will go faster than almost anything barring Chevy's/drag cars.

entrusted the work to simon at suffolk county manta's and should have it back in the non too distant!

all being well i'll be at billing with it.

drove it down to simon's a few weeks back and just with the XE in it flew! can't wait to get this thing back.

Broadspeed? schmoardspeed!

yours excitedly - Garry.

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

"won't be as shiney as Robbie's under the bonnet (don't you just hate him!) "

ER, Er, simply go to "Custom Solutions" I'm sure the b4stard that runs that company would be more than prepared to supply you with sniney stuff for your engine bay [:D][8D][;)]

id="quote">id="quote">

Gotta say, I love your marketing [:D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

thanks for the kind words one and all! from one bar steward to many others - it's great we all encourage one another and we get good feedback from an educated audience.

hot rodder - love the style of yours anyway - the halibrands are true muscle car.

clive the link to the A series parts won't come up - i'd love to (once i get it done) start a series of stainless dress up items for the A - so let me know what you can do and i'll get robbing some pensioners.

i'm looking for a forward facing stainless/alloy tophat if they're still available. anyone??

quote:Originally posted by garrycroft

let me know what you can do and i'll get robbing some pensioners.

id="quote">id="quote">

http://www.mantaclub.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13330

[;)]

Get yer name down!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

• 2 months later...

dear all,

update on my what is no longer my 16 valve A!

because it is now my: 2 LITRE TURBO LET A!!!!!!

Added some pics so you can have a look - the all round good guy (and poor accent impressionist) Simon Peckham is responsible for the install and the general fettling of the car.

having test driven teh car on the way to teh hot rod nat's on saturday all i can say is that the car is AMAZING, the engine is smooth and powerful, it revs like mad! the willwood conversion has to be driven to be believed and the general quality and standard of simons work is top drawer. honestly, i owuld recommend this guy to anyone, manta wise or not! the most important thing for me is that when you tell him what you want he understands the look/feel/perfomance you are aiming for - let's face it one persons idea of a cool car is not the same as the next mans - but simon manages to interpret exactly what your aiming for. good guy!

anyway - during the build simon rang me quite dispondant... his tone was very down and after findng swarf in the sump the week earlier i was anticipating the worst...

he had a confession to make, i said - please tell be it's not dead/blown/in a ditch etc...

he told me solmnly that while using it as a daily driver he was on a dual carriage way nr bury st ed's and he saw 4 round headlights pop up in his (my!) rear view mirror and flash him to pull over,....

simon did this and a ferrari 360 pulled along side a dropped a gear acconpanied by that familiar ferrari screaming engine note. simon woefully added that he rose to the bait and droppe the A a cog and floored it.

after a long pregnant pause (or should i say up teh duff pause - sp knows what i mean!) he delivered the bad news.......

My little old manta A, that i've built over 4 years, has been close to getting scrapped twice, stands me at about 7k and has only been running a year - ran nose to nose with the ferrari and matched it point to point, he added that they were neck and neck for a good half mile and only had to back off at an approaching roundabout due to remembering who's car it actually is.

aghast i told simon sternly: simon, i said, had you have backed off, let him by quietly, behaved responsibly and remebered just how immature street racing against 100k of italian thorobred is, i would have been IMMENSLY p*ssed off at you had you have NOT raced the Ferrari.

straight up folks - ask the man himself - this is one quick car. Simon did teh theoreticals on a laptop with a performance tuning programme installed in it. 0 - 60 comes out at 4.9 secs. not too shabby eh?

pics coming soon!!!!!!!

Garry