My old GTE Coupe is WRITTEN OFF

I sold this one earlier this year and now my mate has left me to look after it and get it repaired. Usual thing a bit of welding turns out to be a bit more or a lot more in this case. 1984 GTE with nice [xx(] Beige interior, blown head gasket, no jacking points or A posts, holed inner wings, seized calipers and only about 2 months to sort it all out for its MOT and my mates return from Afghanistan.

DSCI0494.jpg

DSCI0496.jpg

Will get some photos up soon but so far the interior is stripped ready to weld the footwells. Will paint the roof lining grey and fit the full black and grey interior. while the glass is out a pair of 6x9's will be fit into the shelf. I picked a good engine and calipers up as its as easy to swop the engine as it is to do the headgasket especially when all the sensors are duff aswell! I'm going to fit a proper mirror on the passenger side and see if he notices it.[:D]

When he gets back he'll have the cash saved to get the respray done, I'm just sorting it out so it drives properly and is a solid shell, most of it is good.

Wish me luck!!!

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe..On its way to a new home

1981 Manta B will be just as Adam intended when I fix it

1981 Ascona Auto SRi130 engine going in soon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it need a respray mick?

looks good in the pics, number plate dont look right thou,1969/70 plate looks odd on a later car, having said that, its nice not advertising the age of your car.

chrisb

The paintwork on this pic looks good as I had just polished it, it would still clean up ok but has a couple of scabs on the arches that have come through also he wants it painting Black...

The bloke who owned it before me was called Keith, KFE was close enough, plus it gets a second glance as people try to work out what looks wrong about it. [:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

Photos as promised...not great!! Stripped the interior, just put the seats and a few bits in the car to keep them out of the way for now.

DSCI0680.jpg

DSCI0679.jpg

DSCI0682.jpg

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

Mick its that old problem, manta looks good outside but got to much red stuff once the wrapping comes of.

Nout a big tank of gaz and a bottle of gas wont sort out, [;)] Hope you get on well with it [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

id="quote">id="quote">

ah well, better than a Manta that's rough on the inside and the outside

OMOC 5885

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

How to post Images

The number is still there, unless a picky tester was doing it they usually take it from the VIN plate under the bonnet.

I see what you mean though, luckily this one hasnt disolved yet.

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found out today my Mate due back in 3 weeks and I hadn't got any further with it.

So today out came the engine box and prop. The rear oil seal on the gearbox has had it and jellyfied the rear mounting. I cleaned up the engine to go in and found its a newer Unleaded one so thats another thing thats easier, no more redex.

Next job is remove the bumper and wings to get on with the welding, new jacking points both sides, kick panel, door posts and a patch on the chassis along with the usual inner wings and battery tray areas too.

After thats all done its refit the engine and box, tidy the engine bay as its been brush painted, it comes off with a pressure wash leaving the original paint on.

Once the welding is done its time to get the glass out and paint the roof lining grey to match the new black/grey Recaro interior thats going in, while the rear screen is out fit a pair of 6x9 speakers he left me also the ones in the front doors to wire up.

New calipers toi fit then blat the whole underside with black waxoyl before heading for an MOT...all by the end of the month..[:P]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Engine swopped, runs very well, I drove it up the road at work and it picks up much better than before..[:)]

Now I have got to get the welder out, I removed the wings today..OMG!! Rotten and really bad repairs done in the past.

Good news I fitted the 6x9's in the rear shelf, cut the holes, made filler panels to make it flat and it sounds good. All back out now as is all the glass and interior so I can spray the roof lining grey to match the new interior... got about 10 days to finish and MOT it..[:D][:D][:D][:0]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Manta B Coupe..FOR SALE

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

OMG! I mean WTF!

Bloody hell mate, missed the rotten floorpan pics of this in the past.

The "Oh Dear" topic where I bought that scabby old B series that had been stood for 13 years has a better floorpan than that GTE, in fact about 10 times better. I feel quite smug now[^][;)]

Edit:-

Mind you though just looked at the pics again and would swap floorpans for an exterior that looks like the white GTE in a shot.

For instance you have front wings and rear wheel arches... Not so smug then [:(][xx(][xx(][:(]

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Just taken some pics, will put them on tonight when I get in, just spent an hour stripping all the black matting off the floors, soaking wet underneath most of it..[:(!]

Jobs to do, track rod ends, lower ball joint, rack boots calipers and pads, rtear brakes, loads of welkding, paint roof lining fit interior, engine tune and MOt all in 10 Days well nights as I am at work in the day..[8)]

Jobs done, stripped whole car nearly..lol, engine swopped, gearbox flushed and new oil and rear seal, new clutch, ajusted the ball joint pivot now have a better bite point. Full engine service and clean out, flushed cooling system, refilled and bled heater, Chopped floor out, fitted rear speakers and repaired the head unit wiring

I just hope the painting the roof lining grey works as I have stripped it ready to do it, all the glass out an on the roof..[:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Not much no... Just made a floor panel for the passenger side but will have to wait until tomorrow to fit it as my welder is at home..[:o)]

Jacking points are ready to fit when I get the remains off the chassis rail, the reat of it fell of easily with a hammer[:D]

When its done it'll have a fairly easy life in the sun, he's posted to Cyprus in a few months and is taking it with him!![8D] Thats the reason it's getting everything done rather than just enough for now.

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Photos taken tonight, some veiwers may find these images upsetting [:D] Found out why the idle was scatty, the throttle pedal pivot was seized due to water from above.

Looking at these pics remember 10 days to finish it!![:D][:D][:D]

DSCI0083.jpg

DSCI0082.jpg

DSCI0081.jpg

DSCI0080.jpg

DSCI0084.jpg

DSCI0094-1.jpg

DSCI0077.jpg

DSCI0075.jpg

DSCI0087-1.jpg

DSCI0088-1.jpg

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Will keep me busy for the next 9 days, all I have left to finish it!!

Nope, he just bought a full mint interior for it, thats the one in the pics..

Cut out the a post today, inner wins and made panels for the floor, going back up there to night armed with a welder so fingers crossed it'll be a bit more solid in places by the morning, had to buy a wing rail from Hadrian as there isnt one on the passenger side [:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Right today I managed to find how rotten this thing is. Ended up supporting the body on the chassis rails before chopping out all the forward side of the A post, kick panel washer bottle tray and floor, bit by bit tacking a brace across certain areas to keep the shape.

Repaired the drivers inner wing at the front, cut out all the passenger side awaiting the wing rail panel. Made a washer tray, fitted it and repaired the corner by the servo, the edge of the padal box housing and the door post... then ran out of wire...[xx(]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Not going that well really, spent hours cutting and making panels, not really geting anywhere. I dont pretend to be the best welder in the world but some of this is abismal, will not weld properly no matter what unless both bits are new![:(!]

Managed to get the jacking points ready to fit but still need to repair the chassis rail where they fit, still got no floor and holes every where, working nights so not much time to do it and I now have 6 days left. If only there was a magic wand out there I could wave..[:(!] I'm posting this while I eat my tea just before I go to work [:(]

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

[

xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

id="size3">Hi Mick, Have just read your Manta build to date, you have really got stuck in to this project. looks like there is far more work is required, than the initial shinny white body suggests.

The welding looks good to in the photo. Welding rusty metal is always a pain as you can only prep with the wire brush so much. It's so easy to end up trying to weld metal, so thin that it just blows through.

Do you know the history of that G reg number? 1968/9 issue, possibly have been a personal plate, with the owner's name initials of KFE?

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

Feck me Mick....

Don't know what to say really.

Ideally you could have done with a few of us up there over the weekend with welders and grinders ready, just to hopefully cut at least a day or 2 off of the remaining time.

Was looking at possibility of getting up to you tomorrow, but simply way behind with the work I need to get out, and what with not being able to sleep too[:(][:(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

So sorry I cannot help you out Mick, just a real bad time for me.

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk