My old GTE Coupe is WRITTEN OFF

quote:Do you know the history of that G reg number? 1968/9 issue, possibly have been a personal plate, with the owner's name initials of KFE?
id="quote">id="quote">

Exactly that, I owned the car before my mate and the bloke I got it off was called Keith.

quote:So sorry I cannot help you out Mick, just a real bad time for me.
id="quote">id="quote">

No problem at all Clive, Thanks for the thought but you have enough to do at your end!

Feel a bit more positive today so I'll be back at it this afternoon, tonight is my last night shift so will have a few solid days to get it done, MOT booked for Friday [:D][:D]

Just to add to the pressure the MOT runs out on my Discovery end of this week too so thats another one before Friday!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Originally posted by Manta Mal

id="size3">

Do you know the history of that G reg number? 1968/9 issue, possibly have been a personal plate, with the owner's name initials of KFE?

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

id="quote">id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by Mick earlier in this thread

The bloke who owned it before me was called Keith, KFE was close enough, plus it gets a second glance as people try to work out what looks wrong about it. [:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe..On its way to a new home

1981 Manta B will be just as Adam intended when I fix it

1981 Ascona Auto SRi130 engine going in soon

id="quote">id="quote">

every rusty GT/E I seem makes me more 'n' more convinced my Exclsuive is gonna be knackered....[xx(]

OMOC 5885

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Well I have finished the welding on the drivers side, now the passenger side to do but it isnt as rotten.

Welding is bad, will not weld clean at all so it looks bad but its solid.

MOT BOOKED FOR FRIDAY MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:0]

We have a floor, jacking point, chassis rail and door post topped off with a Washer tray!![:D]

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

Started on the passenger side now..

PICT0053.jpg

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Speaking as a nearly non-welder, that is some pretty impressive welding. Looking at the first pictures of what could only be described by some mechanics as "knackered - wouldn't want to touch it" that car is turning back into something tasty again. I love seeing proper work, and you usually see it on peoples cars they've worked on themselves.

Nice Job!

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Cheers...I'll be happier when its got a coat of paint and the carpet back in then its out of sight..[:D][:D]

The other side should be done tommorow, not all the inner wing but the floor and a post area, might have a break then to mask up and paint the roof lining grey just for a change from metal glueing.[:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Back home for tea, then off out again. Got some of the footwell welded onthe passenger side, changed the Calipers, track rods ends, rack gaitors and lower ball joint. Painted the inside of the drivers floor white, refitted the washer bottle, air filter and covered all inside the nosecone with waxoyl, the inner wing and floor on the drivers side got a drowning in black wax too. Filled the door post and chassis rail with it so hopefully it'll stay solid for a while.

Get the drivers headlamp and wing back on tonight then wax the seam from inside, same again when I finish the passenger side.[xx(]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Just got back in, couple of beers drunk and I'm here again.

Wing on, drivers side soundproofing mat in, ECU in, headlamp on drivers side in after swopping the reflector for a better one, not good but better, sprayed everything under the arch in black waxoyl.

Tomorrow is weld the rest of the footwell, battery tray and kick panel, then in the afternoon spray the roof lining grey. I tested a bit in a corner under the back shelf, looks ok and stick well. After its painted go home for tea, go back an hour or so later to fit interior and glass.

Last bit will be the inner wing and final cleaning and fettling, Timing, Headlamp aim, tracking etc...

Looking on track for friday MOT..[:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

All floors done, jacking points done, inner sills done, kick panels done, battery tray nearly done, finish it later on tonight/tomorrow.

All the window holes masked up, didnt get chance to spray the roof lining but will do it tonight so I can get the interior back in in the morning after the last bits of welding inside, thats when I'll see an end in sight!!

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Just the puppy-proof covers to fit on the back seats and you'll be done then Mick![:D]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top on Google.

No puppies in this one... not unless he pulls [:D][:D][:D][:P]

Just cleaned and painted the roof lining, looks good, can recommend grey primer to anyone with a brown or red interior. Thanks for the tip Clive!!!

Fitted the resr shelf and speakers, the rear quarter trim, sun visors, mirror etc and the door seals, looks like I'm getting somewhere now [:D]

Still working on it, rear shocks to change when I get the front done.... never ending [:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Bit more done just got back in, back at it again in themorning. Probably about an hour of welding to finish the battery tray then the inside is finished, all the interior can go back in.

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

Thanks for the offer but I AM NOT doing this again for a while, I am knackered, 24 hrs to MOT, still has glass missing, welding needed and several other time consuming jobs to do..but it WILL be done, it has no choice, even if I finish at 4am it will be done today...

Just read that again. 'it will be done today' OMG has to be done today[:D][:0]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

ITS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!id="size6">id="red">

Done, all but a monster clean up and polish to get rid of all the black hand prints all over it.

Right just to get an idea of how much I should be charging him, here is what I have done. Anyone who has a Business can you get me a rough idea what you would charge for this little lot? He left me enough money to cover the parts. How much should I get, even on mates rates?

Approx 100+ hours work, split about 60% welding 40% mechanical work, stripping and refitting the interior and glass etc.

New Parts Fitted

Plugs

Oil filter

Air filter

Fuel filter

Manifold Gasket

Rear shocks

bottom ball joint

Track rod ends

Rack Gaitors

Wing rail repair panel

Gearbox output seal

Total £174

5 litres of oil

1 metre of Fuel hose

2 Sq Metres of sheet steel

2 litres of seam sealer

5 litres of Waxoyl

1 litre of primer

1 litre of thinners

1 litre of White paint

5 litre can of Gear oil

1 Pub bottle of Co2

1 5kg roll of mig wire

Total £87

Second hand parts fitted

Mint Interior complete, everything, the lot, repaint roof lining to match (From me)

Complete engine

Brake Calipers

6x9 Speakers

Pair of headlights (from me)

Starter motor (from me)

Jacking points (from me)

Door glass (from me)

Lock set (from me)

Total £220

Work done

Remove old interior and refit new one

Cut rear shelf and make mounts under the shelf to support speakers

Remove and refit all glass

Weld..Lots of it, footwells, door posts, replace Kick panels and jacking points repair inner wings at the front and wing rail, repair a couple of patches on a sill, repair chassis leg where jacking point fits

Remove, drain replace seal and refit gearbox

Fit replacement engine

Full engine service

Strip and clean rear brakes

Clean fuel pre filter elbow

Fit all parts listed above

Set ign timing

Set Tracking

Adjust Headlights

Wire CD player for front speakers and repair rear speaker wiring

Spray underside and inner wings with Waxoyl

Wash polish and full valet inside

Take for MOT £35 and put £10 petrol in as its running on fumes

Total spent so far £526 on parts and MOT alone, neither myself or the owner knew how bad it was, thought it was a bit on the floor and a bit onthe door posts...Oh how wrong we were!!![:0]

Probably more to add later as I cant remember what day it is anymore, all merged into one[xx(]

Did I mention its Finished!!!??????id="red">id="size6">

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe

To knackered to type much now, worked 15 hours solid today, stopped for 20 mins for a bag of chips...[:D] Doesnt look much different as 90% of the work is out of sight, main thing is the beige interior has gone[:D][:D][:D]

Pics as it is now...needing a good clean inside and out. MOT in the morning

PICT0087.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0084.jpg

I swept up once and I still ended up with a pile of rubbish this big!!

PICT0088.jpg

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1981 Ascona FOR SALE

1981 Manta B Coupe