manta GT/E road rally project.

Mick

i have just purchased a 1986 manta GT/E hatch in red. it has the standard manta 2.0 cih engine, i am planning on changing it to a C20XE 2.0 16v astra engine towards the end of next year.

the car has done 104k and is in pretty good nick, the engine runs spot on and i drove it 160 miles home with no problems and didnt even use up the £20 of fuel i put in it. it has filler around the sunroof where someone has been trying to cover up the rust. rusty chassis rail on n/s where it meet bulkhead and a small patch towards the rear of the n/s sill, all these area's are common rust area's in the manta i believe. the rest of the car is spot on. oh apart from the brakes which are ****e!

i will put some pics up when i take some.

i plan on using it on 12 car navigational rally's through the winter.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where abouts are you, I'm just starting this game using my Ascona, I'm in the yorkshire/Lincolnshire area.

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe..On its way to a new home

1981 Manta B will be just as Adam intended when I fix it

1981 Ascona Auto SRi130 engine going in soon

• 2 weeks later...

when i got it the headlights weren't wired up properly and the indicators didn't work and also the car had been broken into and ignition barrell holder had been snapped and the plastics that cover it and the drivers door lock had been screwdrivered. as the car is kept in a friends lock up i haven't had chance to work on it yet, i did have a little look at it and found out that the hazard switch was broken and taped down, this was causing indicators not to work, i have got a new hazard switch, indicator stalk, ignition barrle and plastics on its way, also a mk2 cavalier lock set which should fit, brand new with 2 keys and fuel filler cap for £12 posted from ebay. the headlights had been fitted by a 2 year old child that didn't know what he was doing, easy fix when i have the time to do it.

also waiting for my mate to do the welding on it then i can get it mot'd once all the work is done. the rev counter on top the dash will be taken out and binned! luckily it wasn't screwed to the dash, it was wedged by the windscreen so it hasn't left holes on my dash!

anyway here are some pics i took. the last 2 are the dent on rear quater and rust on leading edge of the bonnet.

manta1.jpg

manta2.jpg

manta3.jpg

manta4.jpg

manta5.jpg

manta6.jpg

drift-on!

• 1 month later...

the manta still isn't on the road. i have purchased some bits for it, i got a mk2 cav lock set brand new on ebay for £13 posted, all locks are fitted apart from boot lick that needs the bar bit extended, i got the barell holder from a mates scrap mk2 cav as manta one had been damaged to try and get steering lock off when atempted to nick it, i fitted a new wiper etc. stalk and column plastics as the hazard switch + plastics were broken, i got that free from someone on here. just going to fit a new ignition switch as that is damaged, i am going to wire in a modern plug and switch as from past vauxhall experience they burn out occasionally and will be easier to replace with plug on. i purchased a quickrack from christ on here that i still have to fit. i got some spot (driving) lamps for it that i have to fit and still got to wire in the headlights properly, i have 100 watt lucas bulbs for all the lights.

just waiting on my mate to weld it so i can mot it.

drift-on!

I saw this car on ebay right?

If it is the same one, i thought about buying it myself, but my grey one came up instead and as id had a grey car before i decided not to bid on your red one. Which turned out nice for us both!

Looks better in the pictures than the ebay auction.

Best of luck with it, looks like its got a great deal of potential to be a really nice car.

Many Thanks

gte1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the ignition switch had been snapped out of the barell so i decided to put a modern type switch from a mk2 astra on it and solder the connector onto the manta loom, i soldered the wires to the same positions on the switch but when i tried starting the car there was no spark, after a few tests with the test light and a multi metre it confirmed the internal positions of the astra switch were different so i swapped the terminal into the correct position on the connector block and its all fine now. i started to wire the quads and spot lights, mounted the relays etc. it will hopfully be on the road within the next couple of weeks!

drift-on!

• 2 weeks later...

a mate of mine started the welding on it today, done patches on both sills, n/s arb mount at front. he said the chassis rail where it meets bulkhead on n/s where it was bad has been done before badly and wants to drop the subframe out and re-fabricate it, so i will give him a hand with that next weekend hopfully. its getting there!

drift-on!

quote:Originally posted by astrasteve23

took measurements of offset of manta and astra caliper and disc and figured out what audi discs i need to go with my astra calipers and got a pair of audi 100 2.3 discs 256x22 discs on an ebay shop for less than half the price i could get them anywhere else.

id="quote">id="quote">

They fit straight on or do they need machined?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

Ebay does throw up the odd bargain [:)] discs are normally £55 then what ever the local engineering place charges to do the lathe work [:(]

Any disc that does fit straight on shug will need machined, the center hole has to be lathed out and will need drilled for the wheel stud pattern.

keep up the good work astrasteve [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

• 1 month later...

sorry the discs were from an audi 80, or audi coupe. the centre needed machining and they needed to be re-drilled which my uncle is doing for me. i haven't touched the car for ages now. i hope to do a bit this weekend, i really want to get it on the road!

• 3 weeks later...

i managed to go and do some work on the manta this afternoon, i fitted the new brakes, all fit fine but one bolt that holds the disk on was rounded so a bolt had to be welded onto it to remove it. they fit fine, i put some new OMP uprated pads in, capable of up to 600* and should bit fine from cold. also took the steering rack off and was going to fit the quick rack and new column but new rack is different so i need a few bits first, going to fit new track rod ends too.

engine bay.

P4150417.JPG

new leads & cap etc.

P4150416.JPG

K&N and bracket.

P4150414.JPG

headlight relays and wireing. (missed out 1 wire to o/s headlight and have to put a live feed to them still)

P4150415.JPG

new astra GTE 16v calipers and audi discs.

P4150420.JPG

very rusty n/s chassis rail.

P4150419.JPG

standard rack and quickrack.

P4150422.JPG

standard one.

P4150424.JPG

quickrack.

P4150425.JPG

mk2 cav coupling or whatever its called.

P4150421.JPG

as you can see the standard rack has a coupling built onto it and has a joining bar to the coupling on the column, the quickrack doesnt and needs a coupling (i got one off of a mk2 cav my mate had at his yard where its kept) but now i need a slightly longer joining bar.

Fuc4 why did you bother putting the brakes on ? Won't they have to come back off again for that chassis rail to be fixed ?

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

yep i put audi 80 discs on on my manta with 16v callipers some job they are got one of the lads to redrill the stud holes and open out the center hole and they were finished for close to one third of the price i got quoted by a few people, standard manta brakes are plain dangerous[;)]

quote:Originally posted by PeteM

Fuc4 why did you bother putting the brakes on ? Won't they have to come back off again for that chassis rail to be fixed ?

id="quote">id="quote">

The entire crossmember will have to come off to repair that chassis rail properly[:P]

Carl[:D]

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1988 GTE Exclusive Coupe - E862BAO

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpge862bao1.jpge862bao2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by astrasteve23

tonight me and the chap who is going to be welding it up went and cut a section of chassis rail that is repairable out of another manta.

id="quote">id="quote">

Which would be mine[:D] Bloody hell Steve. You didnt mess about to get on here[:P]