manta GT/E road rally project.

Mick

quote:Originally posted by paul hinchy

yep i put audi 80 discs on on my manta with 16v callipers some job they are got one of the lads to redrill the stud holes and open out the center hole and they were finished for close to one third of the price i got quoted by a few people, standard manta brakes are plain dangerous[;)]

id="quote">id="quote">

yeah i was warned about the brakes before i bought it, when i drove it i was shocked at how bad they were! have you given the astra/audi set up any abuse yet? how do they cope? on a standard astra GTE 16v they are crap, my mk2 astra van they aren't bad but have had them fading a few times and the manta is slightly heavier so im not sure how they will cope, i hope the pads im using will be ok as this is the biggest set up that will fit under 14" wheels.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Originally posted by Chuck_

id="quote">id="quote">

Which would be mine[:D] Bloody hell Steve. You didnt mess about to get on here[:P]

id="quote">id="quote">

what you mean getting home or chopping the section out of your manta?

p.s it was even with the cav!

i borrowed a heat gun last night and removed the sun strip and the stickers but left the opel ones on the front bumper. it look 100 times better now! hopfully going to do a bit to it tomorrow. speedo cable, prep chassis rail section i bought, fit the quickrack.

• 8 months later...

little update as i havent for ages, we dropped the complete front crossmember to weld in section of chassis rail, all went fairly well, bled brakes, havent fitted quickrack yet, trying to get it ready for MOT.

crossmember out

24092007077.jpg

old chassis rail section

24092007076.jpg

new bit welded in

24092007073.jpg

did do 1st event in it today, an autotest with my cousin who part owns the car (my navigator) it done better than i expected, 1st time either of us has driven it, few pics,

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0185.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

link to all the pics and vids from the day including having a mess about after.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z60/ ... e23/manta/

what other things you got planned for the car?

nice to see a manta gettin used for such events[:)]

location: north wales. mcrae tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSu-D1W2wA

photo6009.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

i want it to be MOT'd by 10th jan for a 12 car rally, thats what i intend to use it for, might do track days in it, may have a bash at some sprints and hill climbs too, just want to have fun in it and enjoy it. i am building a mk2 astra GTE 16v for track days sprints and hill climbs tho but that isnt finnished yet. will polish it up when i get time.

im on the look out for some decent spot light brackets and a sump guard, LSD, and any advice on what springs to use, dont what it lower really because of the rallying, maybe a little lower and it will be used for all the above, was thinking of GAZ adjustable shocks as they are a good price and seem to be good shocks, i have then on another vehical and they are brilliant.

put 500lb springs on the front and 400lb on the rear, chuck the front anti-roll bar away[;)]

rallydesign do springs rallydesign.co.uk

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

You'll probably need to remove the spots or inner lamps for a road rally as they only allow 4 forward facing lights. I've got the older two piece quad lights on mine so I've replaced the inner lights with kc daylighter 150w sealed beam units.

OMOC 5768

bulb holder now fitted and working for o/s brake light, also managed to adjust the quads that were pointing all over the place, not perfect but a lot better than before, its ready for MOT now, i hope it passes so i can drive it!!!!! and do the 12car next thursday.

i was hopeing to have it ready for the 12 car last night, couldnt get a re-test in time so done it in my daily drive mk2 astra van (20SEH) and we finnished for once, it was a fairly easy one and local so i new the roads, went slightly off course twice but soon got back on track, we came last but only because we missed 1 code board at the beginning, i forgot to keep my eyes peeled. we were not far behind on time either but we were up against experts and were very happy with the result! the manta will take some getting used to to be able to get it round the lanes quicker than my van as it is slower and is standerd, van has a lot of suspension mods. looking into upgrading the manta tho. will be fun in a RWD again.

quote:Originally posted by 0peli400

put 500lb springs on the front and 400lb on the rear, chuck the front anti-roll bar away[;)]

rallydesign do springs rallydesign.co.uk

colintribute.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

the ten star range yeh? what size (1.9" , 2 1/4", or 60mm range and what free length do i need? i want a standard ish ride height.

give rallydesign a bell, they will help you out(http://www.rallydesign.co.uk) i've got tarmac springs on the front of my red manta and coilovers on the rear, i'm not sure what lb the fronts are on mine though.

sorry not much help!!

location: north wales. McRae tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSu-D1W2wA

small.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by 0peli400

give rallydesign a bell, they will help you out(http://www.rallydesign.co.uk) i've got tarmac springs on the front of my red manta and coilovers on the rear, i'm not sure what lb the fronts are on mine though.

sorry not much help!!

location: north wales. McRae tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSu-D1W2wA

small.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

i will give them a call about springs. what is the advantage of getting rid of front arb?