manta GT/E road rally project.

Mick

hoping to tax it this week, got 1st 12car rally in it on thursday night, got map light fitted, few other bit and pieces done, fixed the quads properly with bolts not the cable ties that the previous owner done. have purchased some lucas 20-20 spot lights that will fit this week, will adjust all the lights properly, gave it a polish today. also put a deposit down on a 2.2 CIH with aprox 150bhp with other bits like quickshift, leccy fan etc.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you fit say 400 or 500lb front springs they do the work of the ARB, the std ARB is a little too stiff and can cause bad handling ie understeer.

what spec is the 2.2?

some pics when you have fitted the spots please[;)]

location: north wales. McRae tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSu-D1W2wA

exclusive003.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

got it on the road on thursday evening, done 1st 12car in it, done ok, was hard navigation. we came 7th out of 9. car done ok, needs 90 or 110amp alternator, running 130 watt bulbs and the 70 amp isnt quite up to scratch. brakes were ok when they bedded in, the fronts lock fairly easy. have a clunking from the front n/s that we cant find what it is and it developed a clunking from the rear, need to take a look at that sometime.

Clunking from nearside, look for an end missing off one of the anti-roll bar drop links, usually the bottom rubber under the wishbone is missing, or if the bump stop isn't secure.

Some times cheap shocks wander off their bottom fixing rubber and clunk on the mount on the top wishbone.

No warranty implied or given [:D] New shorter posts to minimise global warming by conserving ones and zeros [:D] The uncivilized end of the North West [:(]

Other rust buckets are available such as http://www.chevettes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12922

sig.jpg

Dann Merino should definitely buy one of these. Well not this one.....

it should have a bit of poke with that tuned engine then!

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

have you checked the springs? it sounds like a coil has snapped to me.

colintribute.jpg

• 1 month later...

little update. fitted bilstein yellows to the rear (need new bushes in the bottom of the front ones) and some grippy tyres (toyo proxy T1-R 195/55 14) on the back as we had some horible plastic things on the rear with no grip what so ever and quite grippy ones on the front. did a 12 car scatter rally on thursday and done well and was very impressed with how the car handles now. its well balanced, easily controlled, positive and grips well! next i need to fit the front shocks and quickrack and get the 2.2CIH in.

front brakes still lock up quite easily tho which im not happy with.

oh and the bloody dash/voltage reg is doing my head in, i have a black box thing fitted bought off of someone on here which i was told was tested on his car and worked ok will just need tweaking when fitted ti mine. volt gague doesnt read correct, have no reading on fuel or water and oil pressure shoots up as soon as ignition is switched on. i asume there is no oil pressure sender fitted, where is the oil pressure sender located? i earthed out the water temp wire and gague read hot as it should, fitted new water temp sender and it still doesnt work, wont even work when shorted now, tried 3 sets of dials, checked its all plugged in ok, and black box will only plug in one way.

• 7 months later...

over the last few months iv been doing the odd bit of work on the manta, got a new (ever lasting) voltage regulator from someone on here and its all working fine. also fitted front shocks, fitted new handbrake lever as origional the button had come off of it, adjusted rear brakes and made a new brake line for it. brakes are better but im after a monza 3.0 non abs master cylinder for it.

have also tinkered with ignition timing and it goes a bit better now. fitted new heater motor so that works now.

• 1 month later...

now purchased a monza master cylinder but not fitted yet. new radiator fitted as old one sprung a leak, gearbox oil changed using genuine GM oil. fuel tank is leaking when it has more that 10 quids worth in, i have a new tank to fit in the next few weeks as it needs new MOT by the end of the month. also output shaft oil seal on the box needs replacing and downpipe gasket needs doing.

i done an autotest on boxing day with burnham-on-sea motor club, done quite well, car was fine and had good fun. will get some vids up soon when i get them uploaded.