OH Dear!!!!!

Toni

Well just bought this.

no.1.jpg

Muchas grassy ass to Ian Virco, AKA Mantaman who I went with to get this onto his Bedford Flatbed thingey, was pretty much a tale in itself.

Well, a few pics to follow here.

no.2.jpg

no.3.jpg

no.4.jpg

no.5.jpg

BUT looking a bit better for a bit of a scrub up, and I mean a SCRUB up, My kiddies and me raided the wifes cleaning cupboard and ransacked the scouring spongey things, about the only thing short of a pressure washer that would remove 11 years of accumulated crap.

Was actually wary of using a pressure washer as I could imagine the car disappearing on the drive[:D]

no.10.jpg

Typically bad chassis rails

but%201.jpg

but%202.jpg

And typical B series inner wings, nose cone, battery tray, washer area etc, all absolutely faultless, engine runs quite nicely too, and it has a Weber carb, And most surprising is the fact that the exhaust does not blow.

BUT.jpg

Current neighbour rating 10/10

Current Bud consumption 5 bottles

Neighbours are already saying they want to get some "before" piccies.

MY GOD IT'S A 4UCKING SHED, WHAT THE HELL POSSESED ME????????

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For £97 Clive, that looks okay to me. Just think, for that you could have bought just less than one 'Englebert' mirror off eBay (see the Club Discussions section) and you've got a whole running Manta.

I'll bet that one's not included in the 1093 total remaining Manta figure either.

I assume it's one of the original 600,000 or so Silver 2's of course too.[;)]

Cheers,

Joe.

This is not an autobahn,

It's just an evil roundabout.

That leads to the Haywain, and

You'll never see great trains again.

Yup, inner wings solid.

Boot area all solid, except where the rear inside quarters join to the arches inside the boot[:(]

Floorpan looks quite bad.

Rear sill sections look very bad

lower front inner wing/A post area quite bad.

Chassis rails and jacking points are history, the pics show them far better than they are.

Rear arches are very bad along with the inner arches too.

Wings are shot, but maybe, just maybe repairable.

Interior is hideous, and totally unsure just what exactly I'm going to do with this yet.

Sunroof area Very Bad

And that is from the quick look from today. There will be a lot more to uncover yet.

But as far as what this is going to end up as........ Well, I'm not saying anything but will post progress piccies up as I go along.

Also Joe, I think it is about the right age to be a silver 2, but just not interested whether it is or not cos silver Manta's don't do it for me.

Don't get me wrong they are a nice Manta like any other but not a colour choice for my own car.

quote:Originally posted by Joe

For £97 Clive, that looks okay to me. Just think, for that you could have bought just less than one 'Englebert' mirror off eBay (see the Club Discussions section) and you've got a whole running Manta.

I'll bet that one's not included in the 1093 total remaining Manta figure either.

I assume it's one of the original 600,000 or so Silver 2's of course too.[;)]

want to buy some mirrors then?

Cheers,

Joe.

This is not an autobahn,

It's just an evil roundabout.

That leads to the Haywain, and

You'll never see great trains again.

id="quote">id="quote">

TBH most people know my feelings on the silver 2, Couldn't give a dingo's kidney about them.

but this has had an engine swap sometime in it's life, will know more when i get the V5.

As for future plans, I'm keeping them well under my hat at the moment.

What was reassuring though was walking past the garage door and seeing my shiny V8 tucked up in there, the shiny V8 that started life very similar to this.

And PLEASE NO more silver 2 comments just simply aint interested.

Final S2 comment: "I was 'avin' a larf, guv."

Every silver Manta is one isn't it?[:o)]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

Considering how much foliage that was growing on it, the panels look straight and dent free from those pics. Good luck to you Clive with the rebuild, another modified one or a standard fair?

And i'm glad to see that Bedford out and about doing its rounds, That was a 6 hour weldathon under there and the winch was something I helped to re-engineer.[;)]

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

lolllgolfkt1.gif

OMOC 5714

Where did you get it? Bottom of a pond? [:P]

Cannae be any worse than my first A tho.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

But I'm a name, not a number dammit!

Hi MANTAMAN here, chief Manta ( and other 'things' ) shifter of the south Midlands

I've seen this Manta close up and personal,it looks worse than it is, though in truth it does look very bad,its got all the usual sill,arches,floor rot etc but unlike late GTE/Exclusives there are some good parts, i.e. everything forward of the baulkhead is good for a Manta,even the front wings wouldn't be too hard to repair.

The 1900 engine was a mystery in the listing,but it definatly has had an engine swop and would have been a 2.0L originally

I went and looked at the Manta two days before the auction ended and did think about buying the car to break for spares if the price didn't go up,but it would have only yealded parts i already have and would have ment another Manta i haven't got space for.

As Clive had said on the fleabay thread he might go and have a look at this Manta i e-mailed Clive with a description of its condition to save him a journey and told him i could move it for him if he were to take it on.

I'm glad i did,so now instead of possible being broken for parts its in the hands of a man who can do great things with Mantas,when Clive,myself and a niegbour (bribed into pushing with a bottle of bud ! ) possitioned the car on Clives front drive you only had to look across to the garage and realise soon there will be two show stoppers!

Well done Clive another MANTA SAVED !

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Just dug a photo out of my camera of the Bedford with the Manta onboard

ClivesBontheBedford.jpg

The ironey is that Bedford transporting the Manta is equally as scruffy and the whole move nearly didn't happen.

I got the Bedford out of its home OK and stopped for fuel,it was after this it went down on power until halfway over to collecting the Manta it conked out completely.i phoned Clive and gave him a fright but then managed to restart it.

From then on it ran really poorly,and was very slow up hills with the Manta onboard ( about four metric tons all up wieght ) but as if by magic on the M1 just north of the M6 / A14 junction it cleared itself and ran normal the rest of the way and all the way home.

My first theory was dodgey fuel but when it ran normal that was disscounted,what i think happen there was some condensation formed in the fuel tank while it was stood the previous three weeks,going to the petrol station used what was in the fuel and line there after water started comimg through and it took 50 or more miles to get rid of it all.

One thing i do like about driving this is its obvious that the odd small scratch wouldn't worry me so with its size i can take on the Kensington Tractor brigade and they give way to me,YES!

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Joe mate, I did enjoy the silver 2 comment[:D] cos that is my opinion too.

Bloke who owned the car used to mess about with cars A LOT.

Told me the engine bay on the Manta was crying out for a Skyline engine.

Unfortunately he has gave me some real food for thought there. Cos it definately needs doing to a Manta at some point.

But intention for this car (in the cold light of day) is........

To simply restore it, and paint a good dark metallic red or dark green.

Slightly lowered, running the stock engine.

And that's it really, interior may come out of my V8 to go into this though, and something a bit more suitable fitted in the V8

This is another good rreason to Link to Ebay cars, people end up with things like this..[:D] Like I said Clive Braver man than me, good luck..

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe..On its way to a new home

1981 Manta B will be just as Adam intended when I fix it

1981 Ascona Auto SRi130 engine going in soon

Hi Clive,good choice of car mate, early B in silver, just like mine(except mine's a hatch) and chrome bumper; can't be many of us in the club. Good luck with the new project,and DON'T FORGET TO RING ME if you need anything, speak to you soon mate,cheers Paul.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Birmingham)

Been thinking long and hard about this project today whilst bored stooopid at work cutting out 1000's of holes in useless bits of ally[:(][:(][:(][:(]

Sensible thing is to restore as best as possible, tackling each bad area as it is uncovered.

Best thing to do would be to strip down the whole car to a bare shell, but don't really have the facility to do that.

The ideal thing to do would be...........

Weld the doors shut, and have a seamless run from wing to quarter panel, put lowered cutouts into the doors to enable access to interior with a gull wing Targa topped roof, and a nice stupid engine i.e. Nissan Micra Skyline.

will posibly draw this out on the car to show you what i mean, but this idea I've had for Donkeys years now.

But what I would like to say is big thanks to everyones comments so far, the bast for me is, I've got to do this now otherwise I'll look a muppet[:(][:(][;)][:D][:D]

Also forget the above idea I just sketched it out on a pic of the manta and it looks crap.

Thats a bare shell resto job Clive [:)]at least you have a blank canvas to work from. Looking forward to the progress on the car, The welder will be hot for a while, good side of that keeps you warm on the winters nights.

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

The New OMOC Northern and Southern Ireland Forum

http://www.vxopel.com/phpBB/

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Sorry Pete, missed this

"I'd be more inclined to the 200sx "mota" myself."

TBH it is a good option, and one I have thought about.

Sump is a particularly diffcult area as the pan is back to front, and although the engines and boxes can be picked up cheap for the S13, they are generally cheap for a good reason, as they have a lot of big end failures.

Rebuilding the S13 engine (CA18DET) is not particularly cheap either. prices tend to be in the region of £1200 for a good rebuilt engine.

The later SR20 engines that were fitted in the S14 are a lot more powerful as standard, but are still a fairly recent engine and again 2nd hand ones are not cheap and rebuild costs are very high.

Engine wise the lump that's in there sounded particularly good when fired up, in fact sounded a bit too damn good to be totally honest, so I'll clean that up and work the head and carb and inlet and mess about with the ignition, and fit a 5 speed box cos I've had good results doing this in the past, this will get me mobile to get the car to and from places to finish off the body/paint and will get the car used, just don't really know what to put in it for the future though, quite like the idea of turboing the cih should ahve spare injection loom and gubbings in the spidery shed and using the turbo off my Nissan should do the job quite nicely (getting a bigger one for the Nissan) I could do all the pipework and mating flanges myself and would merely need some sort of engine management and extra injectors.

Must say I do like the idea of turboing the original engine, just for the hell of making up a nice shiney heat shield for the turbo[:D][:D][:D]

[?]Sorry to interupt you guys but I noticed that a few of you are always posting in the morning. Are you working for yourselves (I know Opel2000 does) and have a computer at work? I only post in the morning if Im on a PM shift like today. Thats so not fair, we are only allowed access to the BBC site at work (boring unless you want the news all day)[:(]id="purple">

¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸$©øøßÿ$øø¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸

[:D]I love V[8]s I do!!![:D]

A Type 2.4 Berlinetta

A Type 2.4

Opel GT

http://www.rally-bird-v8.piczo.comid="purple">