C530 PRX 400 R Track Car

Big B i200

Very nice Mike, but just one little picky comment!! It looks great in the Shell gold card colours but the Opel Motorsport Decals don't

blend in with the period of the others. If it were my car it would be 1983/84/85 or nothing. Other than that, it is very nice I can see you have gone to alot of time getting it right. Now I know why you've been mithering the pants off everyone at the pub meets!![;)][;)][;)]

OMOC Secretary and Nw Rep M/N 3677

ianandann.online@virgin.net MANTA 400 "You know you want one"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks she looks bad.

The Lombard rac door no.s went on tonight.

Theres always one Ian lol. I was waiting for the motorsport decals to be pointed out not being from the period. Wait till you see the sunstrip lol

Most people who see the car will not know what the car is nevermind the decal matching to the period it came from but I understand your point.

Dont you have mats with the exact same logo ?[:D]

OMOC 5997

1986 Manta 400 Replica with Carlton GSI 24V running gear

I forgot to mention the Michelin stickers were not my idea, I purchased proper ones however when the stripes were made up and they did the wang decal, they decided to do the michelin ones, not sure whether to change them or not.

OMOC 5997

Cheers Kev! it wasnt for you and the manta club I wouldnt have got this far!

How do you mean the forest car?

OMOC 5997

Most of the decals are from ebay. The stripes and shell oils decals were customer made. To be honest I wanted the stripes to be sprayed on and not to be decals.

The next step is getting a manta loom spliced into the carlton engine loom.

OMOC 5997

Cheers Danny, it should hopefully on the road in January.

Ill be picking it up on Wednesday. The list of things that have been done to it are as below.

1. Nose cone/lights metal strip has been resprayed white and bonded to nose cone.

2. The fibreglass bonnet has had some of the inside sanded down it clears the dual ram engine plate so that the bonnet sits flush.

3. The corner of the bonnet was chipped this has been repaired.

4. Cracks started to form around the scoops and near the bonnet lip, this has been sanded down, repaired with glass fibre and then the whole bonnet has been resprayed.

5. The windscreen pillars had cracks at the bottom. Windscreen was removed in order to grind the metal down.

6. The end pieces of the 400 spoiler have been resealed as whoever fitted it in the past has used silicone sealent.

7. The middle section of the 400 spoiler has been rebonded down with tigerseal.

8. There was a hole in the roof where an aerial used to be and rust had formed around the hole. The metal was treated and the hole was refilled and painted.

9. The drivers side 400 arch wasnt the best of fit and the drivers door rubs on the arch. Paint on the door had been chipped off, this has been repaired and the arches filed down so that it clears the door.

10. There was flaking painted around the door hinge area. This was removed and resprayed. Apparently the bottom pin in the hinge was seized and it had to be heated up in order to drop out.

11.Cracks in the top and side of the drivers arch were sanded down, repaired and resprayed.

12. In the boot in the spare wheel well had rusted, this was repaired and repainted.

13.The sill section on the passenger side in the boot had rotted the old metal was removed and glass fibred. It wasnt possible to weld metal here as it was too close to the fibreglass rear arches.

14. Left side jacking point replaced.

15. Inner sill repair sections on both sides have been replaced.

16. Top rust on the floor has been ground off.

17. Sections of the floor and firewall have been replaced with new metal.

18. Bertie fisher stripes and shell oils decals

OMOC 5997

Ive just drove my car home from the bodyshop. WOW! it looks awesome, everyone was checking it out LOL.

I found a few problems though, one of the rear tyres has been going flat since the car went to the bodyshop. I took it to a friend at a tyre place to check it. Theres no puncture but air is coming out of the side of the rim. We removed the tyre and found that a large portion of the rim has been chewed. This has been done by the cretins who originally fitted the tyres for me. My friend filed down the rough bits and refitted the tyre. The air seemed to have stopped coming from this area . However air is also coming from the middle of the rim. What must have happened is that the seam sealent that goes over where the rim joins inside the wheel has come away.

Does anyone know any good wheel places that can sort it?

Also noticed the left wiper arm isnt pressing down hard enough (think this is because the spring in the wiper arm may have stretched) and the drivers side rear night light isnt coming on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjebMiLP7nY

OMOC 5997

Ive just had another blast in it to see what else needs sorting.

There is quite a loud whiney noise coming from the gearbox and it seems as if power is being lost through the transmission. When I press hard on the gas the engine roars into life but it does seem to be getting through to the wheels.

Also when the car pulls forward theres a single knock coming from the passenger door. Any ideas people?

OMOC 5997

The power loss sounds like a slipping clutch. There's not really anything else in the transmission it could be (gears tend to either work or not, rather than slipping).

I hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

Very interesting comments there Daytripper.

The box in my V8 is absolutely shagged, sounds like I have a whirly whizzing whining thing sat next to me when driving.

The interesting thing is that when the secondaries are opened up on the carb the car doesn't behave as it should, but this could be due to the carb being very badly set up, but it feels as if the gearbox is taking the power from the engine instead of putting it to the rear wheels.

I'd hazard a guess that you are feeling the same sort of thing.

Now I cannot figure how a gearbox can do this, the only thing I can assume is that my clutch is not up to the job, but I get no clutch slip anywhere that I know to, i.e. with the current state of the roads I've been having a lot of rear wheel slip and arse end out driving recently in the V8, so no clutch slip there which is where I would possibly expect it to happen more than anywhere, but at 70/80 MPH when flooring it it just doesn't go as you would expect it to.

I'm only typing this as I'm assuming you are having the same experience.

Myself I'm going to be swapping the gearbox and clutch for a better box and going to go for an uprated clutch and take it from there to see what happens, and of course I'll get the carb tweeked properly on a rolling road.

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

if your changing the clutch go for a decent one, ive just put my box back on today after changing the clutch to a cally turbo jobbie, not an easy job to do by yourself underneith the car, in fact it was a right tw4t, you dont want to be doing it twice[:(!] l.u.k do great quality clutch kits.

omoc member 5918

400r trackday turbo on its way....

Well Im not mechanically minded so Ill try and explain the best I can. I drove the car to my friends and took his dad for a spin in it. He said a few things.

1. When I change gear the engine revs drop suddenly and the engine nearly dies so I have to start from a low speed again loosing loads of engine power. He doesnt think the clutch is screwed as the car was wheel spinning fine. He said there is no "over run" on the engine what so ever. Now he mentioned that the c30se engines overun is computer controlled so he thinks its either the ecu at fault or the loom. Bearing in mind a previous owner fitted a bmw dash and butchered all the loom up so it may be that.

Once I get my split rim fixed ill see to the loom.

2.It could be the springs that have snapped on the clutch drive plate. If the previous owners have hammered the clutch by stamping on it this will make the springs to snap. Or it could be on the teeth that looks like a big a bellville washer, they could have broke.

3. The primary shaft on the gearbox, the splines may have worn down.

4. The release bearing on the clutch.

5. The friction pads on the clutch.

Well tomorrow Im going to change the gearbox oil and diff oil as its never been changed I think for about 5 years (bearing in mind I got the car in august).

What I feel is not arguable is that the car has been abused by previous owners.

Also the gearbox doesnt feel right, its very clunky. The stick itself has been sawn in half, I have a feeling someone has fitted one of those things to shorten the gear throw.

I have a few questions, is the manta box able to handle the c30se engine?

Will a standard manta clutch cope with the power?

Will the manta axel handle the power?

One thing I didnt like was **** heels looking at the car today, I cant leave it anywhere.

OMOC 5997

Ive found out some more history on the car. When it was sold from Sean richards to Stuart Brady late 90s early millenium the bmw dash was working ok. A clutch kit was fitted in scotland, I spoke to the guys and confirmed a part no. on this invoice.

LUK623002006 is the no. I was told this is a generic part no. and most garages can order this. Does anyone have the ability to check this for me?

Also in 2004 a helix clutch kit was fitted by Ears. I spoke to the guy today who remember the car and hes going to try and found out what sort of clutch was fitted as there computers crashed last year.

The car was sold by Stuart Brady WITH the LSD axle. Between selling the car and me owning it the LSD axle was removed. It is rumoured during that time the car was hammered for quarter mile runs, this is probably why the helix clutch is damaged.

This is the damage on the rim that the original tyre fitting place did.

Wheel.jpg

That was done by fix it now in, Prestwich, Manchester. Also when I went there with my suzuki ignis sport to fix a puncture, the wheel went in clean, came out with mud on it. Washed it a few days later and found scratches all over the white paint. I managed to get the scratched out in the end.

Here are the 285 mammoth tyres!

Tyres2.jpg

Tyres.jpg

And here is the missing bit of the gearbox leaving the clutch exposed.

Does anyone have the bits for it?

Gearbox.jpg

OMOC 5997

ive got that bit spare im sure on the gte box i just butchered,

its a gromet fit rubber blank, its so you can change the gearbox

release bearing lever to left hand drive, its just a push in fit.

let me know if ya want it and ill fish it out and send u it.

omoc member 5918

400r trackday turbo on its way....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the gearbox rubber thingy.

What colour should I respray my split rims centres, white or gold, saw these wheels on this model and I quite like it.

c13b_1.JPG

initiald.gif