Stradacabs S/R Berlinetta-The next chapter!

paulmanta

I took my last drive today, a moment to savor. I've been waiting for the tax to run out before tackling some welding.

It was supposed to be a quick little plate but I couldn't resist a little poke around. What have I done??-

Mantawing1.jpg

Mantarust1.jpg

mantarust2.jpg

Now I know I'm not the first person to find a hole in their Manta, and that some of the restorations you guys have undertaken makes this look like a walk in the park, but;-

Who developed an underseal that actually traps water and hides corrosion behind it?

Why does the hole have to be where the bulkhead, chassis leg and inner wing meet, right underneath the servo?

I'm probably going to have to drop the pedals, some wiring, servo and master cylinder to stand a chance of doing a decent job.

At least next year my feet will stay dry when I drive it in the wet I supppose!

If anyone has some good advice on how to easily get this ford capripy underseal off I'd be grateful.

Forumwheel.jpg

All that rubber understuff needs to come off, a scraper and hairdryer is best, it will amaze you how far the rust tenticles have spread.

As for the servo it is not too bad to remove, look up in the footwell and you should see 4 13mm nuts up by the pedals, these hold it in and can be got at with a socket and long wobbly extension bar, dont forget to remove the brake pipes from the mater cyl first.

Once you have cleaned it all up and welded it you really ought to try Wurths zinc rich primer, it is great as a base coat for a good new coat of gravi-tex rubber coating then you can paint over the top of this with normal paint to finish it off, this is what i did to the underside of the A series.

If you need any tips or other help let me know.

-----it's lonely here,

there's no one left to torture-----

---paulnewport "at" breathe.com---

To be honest, from your pictures that actually doesn't look too bad at all. If the car was several years younger (ie newer), you'd almost certainly find it was much worse than that.

May I suggest you buy some wheelarch liners once you've repaired it so that it doesn't happen again. And drown it in Dynax S50 (not Waxoyl, the Dynax is 100 times better )beforehand too.

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel (click on "eingebauter Zustand")

http://www.bilthamber.com

(Hi Gunman/Devil Fish - sorry to be so predictable![:D])

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

Hi James,

this post spurred me on to order the wheel arch liners- finally, only taken me about a year. I have had no problems ordering from Bernd or indeed Antonios - the GM outfit in Greece. Its just down to having the right bank sort codes etc. I think the liners have got be worth it with such a well preserved example of a B as your is. I know mine had both inner wings chopped out and replaced along with the chassis rails and nose section. Now with all the paint and sealer off you can really see what had to be done - last time not this time thankfully.

I still think that body colour is amazing, hope the repairs go well.

regards

Matthew

member 5811 i200 coupe

member 5811 i200 coupe

Finished the "A" post to inner wing and closed the footwell today. Just needs a couple of good coats of underseal.

Mantawelded1.jpg

Got to tackle this bad boy now. I feel a led upside down, setting hair on fire moment coming on. Don't you just love working in a footwell!

Hole.jpg

Forumwheel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

By popular demand (from pma in Micks coupe sorted thread)!!!

Update....

Finished fitting up, given it a good pressure wash to get rid of all the dust and dirt. Just got to paint the footwell inside again before refitting the carpets/ console (the car has always been copper bronze, inside is red cause thats what a previous welder used to protect their work)

28fittedfront.jpg

28well.jpg

In between decorating in the house I'm going to have a go at the rotten rear arch. Any suggestion on where to get the best panels would be great. I'm thinking I can get an arch repair panel and use the bottom 8 inches. I want a good quality one, last time I used cheapo panels they took ages to fit and fill, false economy really.

I still want to lose the aftermarket pop-up roof, does anyone have a coupe roof (new or s/hand) they can help me with?

28archrot.jpg

28rot2.jpg

I know its not exactly the most complex work in the world, but I often use the "Your Project" section for encouragement. I get inspriation knowing I'm not the only one freezing cold in my garage on these dark nights.

Forumwheel.jpg

Wil you be at the meet on the 4th James? I might be able to help with an arch repair panel - I've got a good GM panel cut from a scrapper a couple of years back. Its yours if I can find it!

OMOC #5826..... 79 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 1989 Senator CD - I've been converted! But it's for sale! Yakshimash.

Hi James,thanks for the piccys,glad to see you making progress,best of luck with the arch repair,wish i had the know-how to do jobs like that,must be great to sit back when you've finished knowing you've done it!

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Birmingham)

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit of torch time in today!! Ground out the filler and rust, cut what I needed of the arch panel and butt welded the thing in.

Archrust.jpg

Archplate.jpg

Archtack.jpg

I'll have to make up a plate for the bottom of the wing as you can see in the first two pictures the rot runs back about another 6 inches. I'll finish this by the end of the week.

Countdown to Billing:- 4 months 3 weeks 1 day!

Forumwheel.jpg

Those wee magnets seem to be dead handy, been toying with the idea of getting them for a while now, good to see that tin worm getting chopped out [^] nice work

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

• 2 weeks later...

Not posted for a while but I've been busy.

Rear part of the wheelarch and wing is all finished now. Just needs a skim of filler to shape it and paint. I have to paint inside the boot to but I can do this myself with a can when it comes back from the bodyshop. To be honest I'm quite pleased with it!!

Archrearcomplete.jpg

Started to fiddle with the front of the arch which looked far better that the back, but there has been a plated put on the sill before and it was starting to go crunchy. This is where the dilemma starts. "Just how far do I want to go?" versus "I only wanna do this once".

So.....

archfrontrust.jpg

Chop, cut, cut, just a bit more, found good metal (eventually). Better get a sill ordered then too.

Still its a chance to do it nicely and repair all the rotten strengthening webs in there too.

archfrontcut.jpg

Stay tuned for more welding fun!!!!!

Forumwheel.jpg

• 1 month later...

Welding all done and stripped ready to go to the bodyshop on Tuesday 24th.

SGHArchbefore.jpg

Just picked her up this morning. Got to say I'm pretty pleased with the result considering the wing had been bashed before and had a lot of filler already. Also, this wing had been painted before and was a slightly different shade, now it matches perfectly.

IMGP2899.jpg

This is the best bit now, fitting it back up.

See you at Billing!!!

Forumwheel.jpg

Hi Darren and Chris. I didn't enter Pencoed cause I wasn't sure if I was going to have a car to bring. Noe I'm on the road I'll come over but I guess its to late to enter. Are you and Chris and any other of the boys going so we can hook up?

Forumwheel.jpg

quote:Originally posted by stradacab

Hi Darren and Chris. I didn't enter Pencoed cause I wasn't sure if I was going to have a car to bring. Noe I'm on the road I'll come over but I guess its to late to enter. Are you and Chris and any other of the boys going so we can hook up?

Forumwheel.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

D'oh!!! [:(]

South Wales Rep

OMOC 5643

turbo.gif

• 1 month later...

Just a quick interim update on winter '07's project.

Once the tax is out and the season is over I'll get on with this.

Here's my roof I got from Plymouth last month. A couple of tiny dings but no great big sunroof-shaped hole in the middle.

roof1a.jpg

So I set about salvaging the skin from the roof. Only about 160 spot-welds to drill out, it took ages!

roof2a.jpg

And ground off the weld remains and sanded off the surface rust inside the panel. If the ff sunroof models are the same inside I'm not surprised they rot. Apart from some overspray mist, that's all bare metal under there! I'll give it a good coat of paint inside before fitting.

roof3a.jpg

Got to repair some tiny holes then its into storage in the garage for 4 months. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this but it looks like a big job. Interior and dash out (to avoid damage) all glass, headlining, brightwork. Cut off the old skin being careful not to damage the flanges and fit new panel. I'm going to hire a spot welder for the original feel, plug welding will create too much heat and take ages to grind.

I've got lenk-tuning as a lead for headlining, does anyone have a beige pre-facelift headliner in good nick? (I'll be lucky!) or do you know a supplier who sells coloured headlining material. I can make my own.

I'll update when I start the job, meanwhile, see you at Billing!!

Forumwheel.jpg

James, Don't forget to remove the B pillar roof bar from the old roof frame, you need that to put into your car between the B posts as the sunroof ones dont have it.

Its a big job you have there but satisfying once done.

will see you friday before Billing for the Great South west convoy !!

....Been stuck in airports, terrorized

Sent to meetings, hypnotized

Overexposed, commercialized....