Mancona hatch now Finished!! Aug 2017

Kevin Abbott

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^^ Oi ! Get off my thread. :lol: looks great Derek. 

With all the excitement of the latest secret project its about time I updated the mancona thread. 

The engine was proving to be a pain so yet another wiring loom was added and Andy Rutter came to the rescue. Injectors were swapped over and then it decided to chuck a load of oil out of the dipstick hole and all over the lovely engine bay. It also had chucked oil back up the breather over the head and back into the inlet manifold almost detonating the engine. 

Oil was dropped and about 7 litres came out !!

We never had a dipstick for it and was assured all the fluids had been drained, we should have checked........

New plenum top ordered and most of the oil soaked up out of the plenum. 

Brakes are now complete and bled up. Cally T calilers and cossie discs. 

Prop all buttoned up. New brake lines. Clutch done. 

Everyone else was too scared to attack the arch under the arch extension as it needed cutting out to suit the +5 offset of the 17" borbets. So I grabbed the grinder and started cutting away 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I cut about 2" from the edge of the arch and knocked it back together and welded it up

The extended arch was then stuck in place using the fibreglass return edge I made using the chopped glass and clingfilm method. Arch return covered in sykaflex and stuck to the car. A couple of self tappers from the back  to tighten it to the body. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Some goodies arriving from retro power although they didn't have black and as Andrew can't wait he went for blue 

It feels like this car has been in primer forever!  It's a continuous bog on, sand 99% off, bog on and repeat but finally we are looking at colour 

The cage requires 6 new feet making and extending so may not make it into the car yet. It's a problem as it has to clear the calibra tilt slide electric roof 

Finally a panel good enough in primer to put some colour on so we can see a colour option. 

Boot delocked. Wiper and spoiler delete. 

May end up doing a custom colour as Andy wants a light silver and I want dark.  It's his car so I really shouldn't get a choice!

Radiator has gone for a modification today so fingers crossed will be here Thurs. Extended studs ordered. Drop links on the way. 

Yep we are trying for Billing this year with the Mancona too 

Wooooooooooooooo 

Crazy times ahead. 2 cars in 5 months. We must be mad :huh:

Sorry for the typos. I'm on

a stupid pad thing. Will sort on PC tomorrow!

Edited by Kevin Abbott
typos done
  • Like 1

Wasn't happy with the feel of the clutch so back out with the gear box today just to check over the pivot point and everything else and repaint it whilst removed 

I like this Blue, for the Mancona the light blue/fliptone strip wouln't be needed -

Manta A GT/E pictured at the Opel Manta Owners Netherlands annual gathering, Hoogenweg near Hardenburg September 2015

Personally i would have painted the wheel centres the same dark blue as the bodywork, but i really like this shade of Blue.

• Like 1

Im 75% sure on going light silver metallic with a slight Blue tint seen it the other day on a panel we painted for a truck it has a hint of blue if the light hits it at the right angle 

Another option would be somthing like this with a similar satin black theme

• Like 5

So we have done a lot of work on the mancona over the past 2 weeks and it's realy coming togethe now, all the running gear is now done apart from the exhaust which I'm buying new for, the electric sunroof is all wired in and works a treat, power steering installed and is great, the car is going in the body shop on Monday I will post pictures of all the resent progress and through the week this week coming as the car progresses in the body shop, excited is an under statement hopefully will grace puddle duck this year 

• Like 4

update with some new and possibly some repeated pictures.

Hub centric spacers from a colt fitted but missing one for the front, car now has 32 wheel nuts :lol:

Arches need a bit of space making for the wheels at the front and it needs to come down about 1" all around

As it was lowered the axle was pushed over so I made an adjustable pan hard rod to centre the axle properly ( I'll do a tech writeup on this ) 

Polo heater box finally placed and bonded in, I had to put a small piece of steel over the hole I had made to the right as the motor required moving as far to the left as possible

It's tight at the back with the retro power pipes on too

The wiring has been a pain in the arse as the car has been apart and moved from pillar to post for the last 10 years with many hands having a go. So I stripped it back and started afresh . Dedicated wiring for the power steering and power roof added. 

Power steering all bolted in tight and working 100%

EPS ECU mounted behind the centre vents

ECU was a pain to position and this was about the best we could do, wires to be wrapped yet.

Engine bay wiring tidied up and bits postioned

bonnet bolted on

block painted

Handbrake on and new cable

I gave up trying to get the original gearlever circlip back on so I shoved a random gearknob on it

It's now been driven, yes driven under it's own power for the first time in ten years 10 foot to the bodyshop part of FMS for Tom to work his magic

Edited by Kevin Abbott
typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...