I240r cosworth powered coupe

Robbie

This is my long term project and has become a labour of love and currently sets me back about £6000

I found it in a salvage yard as it was a rear end shunt, that was back in 1999.

A new back panel was added.

I then set about adding the Trevor Lewis I240 kit and bonnet.

Bigger wheels were to come so i modified some Monza hubs so i could go to 5 stud and use 5 series BMW wheels.

Hartge split rims were added.

The brakes are M3 discs and lancia delta integralle brembo 4 pot calipers.

The roll cage was put in and i made up a jig so i couuld add the x type roll cage, i made brackets to join the cage to the floor and added a lower brace and welded 16g plate to the floor so the cage is part of the chassis.

I have had 16v Mantas in the past so wanted something faster in a Manta so the choice was C20LET or YB Cosworth, well the cossie won because you can get those suckers up to 600 bhp and all upgrades are off the shelf.

I placed the cossie into the Manta engine bay and it fitted great, the gearbox needed a sierra tunnel to fit properly but still looks right.

The engine is a collins rebuilt one.

The engine is fitted right back against the bulkhead and i made up mounts to suit, a problem i had with the oil filter was got around by adding a 4x4 cossie remote oil filter set up and i aslo had to use a 4x4 cossie exhaust manifold to miss the inner wing.

The car needed no work to any panel or welding, it was that good[:)

Hmmmm, i wasn't happy with a sunroof so i cut the skin off and added a second hand solid roof ( see the how to re-roof).

I added Corsa electric power steering to it and just need to get the piggyback ecu from ebay to make it work.

A RS500 intercooler and a radtech ali rad are the latest additions to it

Plans are to add a de-deon rear alxe based on a cossie one to take the power, i have a jig to work on and a cossie axle, the plans to do it but no time at the mo.

Pics[:)]

cossieprojectfronton-1.jpg

carwithwheels.jpg

brakesoncossisproject-2.jpg

COSSIETUNNEL.jpg

a><!-- m -->

intercooler.jpg

leadingaroof0005.jpg

leadingaroof0007.jpg

Picture_0035.jpg

Picture_0038.jpg

Picture_0150.jpg

Picture_0211.jpg

Picture_0220.jpg

Kev

OMOC 4076

Hi Kevin, Awesome!id="red">... an over used word now days, but this project, is the true meaning of the word.

Will follow this project with interest, please continue with the updates.

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

(Bowing down in Wayne's World style mark of respect to rock legend Alice Cooper . . .)

WE ARE NOT WORTHY ! ! ! [:0]

seriously though, the only car better than a Manta is a Manta with an XE in it, and the only engine better in a Manta than an XE is a seriously turbo'd LET

And the only thing better than a seriously turbo'd LET, is a SERIOUSLY turbo'd 16v Cossie lump.

You do the math. [:D]

My mate just had his run in at 397bhp, 350ish lbs/ft. Try getting that on the same budget out of ANY jap engine. [;)]

Cheers,

Tim (OMOC # 5996)

Did you break a ford for bits for a Manta?

Sweet sweet justice! [}:)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary

I can't remmember which model discs they were, i went into Brakes international in Rochdale and said i wanted bmw discs that were over 300mm. i think mine are 310mm and he said they were m3 ones.

With the monza pcd being 118 and bmw 120 the discs fit over the hubs and give about 10mm per side track increase.

The lancia calipers needed a fair amount of work to fit and they dont go onto the manta stub axle mounts, as the discs being 310 move the caliper out from the standard stub axle mounts. I had a a mate make some brackets up to suit.

The car is in storage at the mo while i build the mancona LET hatch.

Kev

Many A Night Tinkering About

OMOC 4076

• 3 years later...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE :lol:

OK, so iv'e added the electric power steering

102_2325-1.jpg

also see

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/24970-corsa-electric-power-steering-part-2-inc-wiring/page__pid__179131__st__0&#entry179131

so i'm looking at the axle, manta axles are shit so i need one to take more power, i looked at cossie and doing a de dion type, nope

I looked at the 1041 volvo they were using in Sweden, too hard to get parts for.

So i settled on the 4ha mega axle as used by aston martin, scimitar and jaguar as it is unbreakable ;)

Pic is a 4ha compared to a 400 axle

102_2352.jpg

I removed the axle from a scimitar gte and it was a 4 hour fight, at the end of it the bloke who owned the yard felt sorry for me and carried it( hmmmmm, him and 2 others as it weighs 150kg) to my volvo

PCD on the hub is 4x108 and i need 5x 120 so i went out and got a set of geometry school stuff, plotted the center of the scimitar and the bmw and transfered it onto graph paper

102_2376.jpg

So after a plug on one hole

102_2379.jpg

And a weld then grind flat

102_2378.jpg

The 5x120 can be drilled

102_2374.jpg

I had to add a milled surface for the back of the stud parallel to the hub so i got a counter bore drill

102_2383.jpg

It did this

102_2380.jpg

Studs in and ready for the wheels

102_2385.jpg

I am removing the links from the 4ha and replacing them with 400 type ones

, the stuff is rusty though so i have built an electrolysis set up to de-rust stuff

102_2375-1.jpg

102_2382-1.jpg

Next is to use all the mounts cut off the 400 axle and transfer them onto the 4ha

Edited by Kevin Abbott

Hi Kev nice work going on, i near fluffed there when i seen the topic starter lol. I though the bugs were fixed :) Nice choice of axle but I think its rover related rather than jag as the sim used a salsbury axle the same as the Rover 3500 and early p5 I think had a solid manta type axle also, If its got an LSD it should have the same guts as I used in the modified V8 axle in the A series. The jag axles for years used IRS and had in some cases power lock diffs. The CWP in the rover and sim axles are about 2 times as big as the Manta and should easy take 450 BHP :D

Edited by Robbie

Hi Robbie, yea can't seem to change the author on the link :blink:

The axle is a Salisbury one and was fitted to the jag mk2 and Aston martin db5 too, i have just got a v12 jag rear irs end and will be putting the LSD from that into it, the 4ha cost 50 quid and the jag irs v12 was 150 quid so i can see an indestructible rear end for £250

Many thank's to Callum at retropower :thumbup for his advice and giving me the inspiration to finally make a move on this car, it was the axle choice that was holding me back on it

Hi Robbie, yea can't seem to change the author on the link :blink:

The axle is a Salisbury one and was fitted to the jag mk2 and Aston martin db5 too, i have just got a v12 jag rear irs end and will be putting the LSD from that into it, the 4ha cost 50 quid and the jag irs v12 was 150 quid so i can see an indestructible rear end for £250

Many thank's to Callum at retropower :thumbup for his advice and giving me the inspiration to finally make a move on this car, it was the axle choice that was holding me back on it

Jag is hard to beat and no shortage of spare parts, my rear end in the Cobra is a Jag IRS setup with power lock diff but has been fully refurbed and setup for the car by ward engineering. Your car will be a nice beastie when finished, been looking forward to seeing yours for a while now, so get it to Billing and we can have the usual piss up and Danny can make a few phone calls

:D:D:D:D:D:D