Some minor work on my GTE coupe

paulmanta

I decided that after 21 years, it might be a good idea to remove the front wings and have a good prod around then renew the underseal. I have taken off the O/S wing and the underseal is flaking off in places and there is a bit off surface rust but nothing serious.

What do you recommend as a replacement for the underseal? I was thinking about using black hammerite but is there anything better?

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

David OMOC Member 420

http://www.mantamad.fsnet.co.uk

sig%20gte.jpg

Ask Joe...........(i suspect he will say prep the areas and paint with Bilt hambers products, they are good and do seem to kill the rust)

[;)][:D][:D]

I've seen the nations rise and fall, I've heard the stories, heard them all...

---paulnewport "at" breathe.com---

You need to clean up all the rust areas with a wire brush in an electric drill,making sure to properly remove the rust taking the underseal back till you can see 'fresh' un-rusted metal.

You can get a wire brush for an angle grinder but these are very harsh,infact make sure you dont rip any holes with any wire brush,particulary on areas that look a little 'crusty'

Then you'll need to treat the area with rust converter then paint and underseal it,as Pual posted Joe is the expert when it comes to the sort of products you'll need.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Prep the areas and paint with Bilt Hambers products, they are good and do seem to kill the rust.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

If i was doing this i would remove all the underseal as i have seen lots of rust forming under what looked like good underseal on a few mantas now.

Also to protect the inner wings in the future you could do no worse than fit wheel arch liners.

I want some myself and cant remember where you can get them. But i'm sure someone who knows will come along and remind us soon.

000_0260.jpg

Right, now I've had my laugh (sorry Paul, I couldn't resist that, and to Graham - our posts crossed), what I'd recommend is cleaning off as much of the rust as you can, treating it with Hydrate 80 followed by Hammerite No1 paint, then Dynax S50 and finally fitting a pair of Brend Bannier's wheel arch liners.

BH don't make an underseal yet as far as I know, but if you use their Hydrate 80, Hammerite's paint and the Dynax, and then prevent any impact damage to the steel by using the liners, I don't see why it wouldn't last indefinately.

You can coat the rust with their Deox C gel to remove it as long as you can allow about a week for it to work thoroughly and remember to keep agitating it during that time (follow the instructions in fact!)

http://www.bilthamber.com

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel/eingebaut.html

(Bernd's site may be down at the moment incidentally).

For the parts the liners won't protect, I'd use (in fact I use) the Hydrate 80 first, then No1 paint and finally Hammerite 'underseal with Waxoyl'.

Robbie uses a different range of products so I'm sure he'll have some ideas for you too, but the liners really are the key, whatever you use on the metal.

I can't imagine why anyone who intends to keep their Manta doesn't have the liners. They fit beautifully (most of the time - ask PeteM [:I]), are completely unobtrusive and for about £120 a pair are the best investment you can make for the longevity of your car.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

That might have been me Joe. [:I]

They were only one for a few weeks before the car failed the MOT [:(]

is it worth having a sticky thread about rust protection. Or something in the FAQ area ?

OMOC 5885

• 6 months later...

An update[:)]

Both front wings are now back on, the underwing areas have all been rust treated and repainted. I also did a small repair to the back passenger wheel arch. It needed the metal cut out on the bottom corner and a new piece welded in.

A year or so ago, I had a shelf collapse in the garage, a tin fell onto the bonnet and dented it. I got the bonnet repaired and resprayed at the weekend together with the rear wheel arch. I was done by a friend who is a painter and he has made an excellent job.

All I need to do now is finish off the new paint with the polishing mop and some G3 paste, then its ready for next spring.

David OMOC Member 420

http://www.mantamad.co.uk

sig%20gte.jpg

Much better to take some time and effort at that stage and get the inner wings and A posts rust free rather than wait till they get big holes makes life so much easier. Good job [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)