My Manta GTE Project

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the comments about the car.

You are quite lucky in that you live not to far from Paul Manta who is down in Cornwall.

If you need any advise get in touch with Paul, he is a really helpful chap.

John

Just read this thread from the start - what a stunning car and so good to see a "no holds barred" rebuild. Inspirational!

Ok so Johns asked me to take over on his thread, just saves doing it twice.

So last week i got all the front mocked up with the condensor and electric fan in place, the new A/C rad in and the top cover plate on to make sure it all fitted . While i was there i also re routed the front wiring loom as that was running behind the front crossmember and not through it plus re-wired the relay for the quads.

Next job was to remove the battery tray i had installed the week before. The reason being, Nick Webb had kindly lent me his new spare one and given us the old one from his Monza. Now i completely forgot that it was pattern only and went ahead and fitted it. Nick picked up on this in one of the emails between us so i had to remove it in tacked otherwise i'd be on concrete boots and going for a swim. Nick don't worry its out and in one piece, its just silver.

So battery tray Mk2 was knocked up from a chopped down Monza tray and a chassis bracket made to fit. Next job was to strip out the condensor etc so all the bracket and closing plate could be painted and while that was happening i swapped out the water pump again from a Monza A/C type which takes a different viscous coupling.

After a quick clean up it was onto the interior as we now have to start cutting holes in the bulk for the re-circ flap and wiring so its dash out and all the heater box from under the bonnet. The heater box has now got to be cut in half so it will mate with the A/C section.

So next it will be time to start cutting up LHD heater boxes to fit a RHD car, cutting big holes in the bulk head plus lay in the harness and also the loom for an alarm system

johnscar2001.jpg

New Monza Water Pumps and pully setup

johnscar2003.jpg

Modded Monza Battery all the way from the good old USofA

johnscar2004.jpg

Condensor fan back in place after paint

johnscar2005.jpg

A/C Fan Blades. looks like mice may have paid a visit. Another part to find John

johnscar2006.jpg

Under bonnet heater box removed ready for some hole cutting

johnscar2007.jpg

Dash board removed

johnscar2002.jpg

A/C dryer mocked up for hight, need to get it correct otherwise Jons bonnet will have a lump

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a case of cutting, checking, cutting again and glueing up the heater box for the last couple of weekends.

The box is now been painted so it will all be ready to put back together next week along with the condesor and i'll start fitting all the A/c pipes in place.

We had a stroke of luck with the A/C fan motor this week. Last week took the motor out of the housing to find some of the blades had broke away. Now to find a complete motor is bad enough but a fan is impossible. We tried a Monza one the Nick had swapped out of his car but thats was a bit to big it fit correctly and it was half way round the world!!

Well during the week we had a clear out of our old warranty store and i found a complete motor & fan assy from a Zafira, i think. The fan was about the correct size and so with a little adjustment i now got it in place and runs wisper quite and if it ever goes wrong we are in a better place to get a replacement

Ok pic time and these are of the heater box. The white is what had to be removed and re-fashioned to fit as this is a LHD unit so in a RHD car the top of the box becomes the bottom

Top half of the box, this face gores aginst the bulk head

jphnscar4004.jpg

Inside view of the same piece

jphnscar4005.jpg

End shot of the top section. This has been cut to clear the bonnet hinge support and the bonnet

jphnscar4006.jpg

Bottom half which was the top in the LHD cars. The box has had a section cut to give it a flat bottom

jphnscar4007.jpg

Inside view of the top section. This has all now been seal with sealant to plug any gaps left by the glue

jphnscar4009.jpg

The two motors. New one on the left

jphnscar4010.jpg

New motor in place with a mounting plate to give the fan an extra pices of clearance

jphnscar4013.jpg

Thats all for now but next time i should have the heater box back together and most of the pipe work done

Cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well John has asked if i could finish this post off as its been left up in the air a bit. Due to timing not alot of photos were taken has it came down to the wire to get not just Johns car ready for Billing but also Nick & Jo Webbs.

So after much adjusting of the heater box and drier i finally managed to get all the pipe work in place and the wiring loom that John had re-made from a pattern.

The loom did give a bit of a problem as it came with all new relays but the problem we had was the compressor would kick in but the idle kicker wouldn't and the fan stayed at one speed. When we turned the A/C off the idle kicker came in.

As the only wiring diagram i had was all in German i had to fall back on the good old Haynes Manual and no matter which way i looked at it everything was as it should be.

This problem didn't stop the A/C guy turning up and gassing not just Johns car but also Nicks which ended up with two degrees at the centre vent on full blow which in my book is cold enough but i think Nick would like it in the minus :D

Anyway back on Johns wiring problem. I'd had my lot after spending two weekend looking at it so as the A/C guru was over from the US i got Nick to have a look with a fresh pair of eyes.

It took a while but we did find the problem and it turned out to be one of the new relays. The company that made the loom had fitted a single make & break relay and we needed a twin make and break, new relay ordered and everything was working as it should with Johns also pushing out two degrees

With the A/c now all working it was just a case of finishing a few small jobs and get the car bolted back together again ready for Billing.

As i said at the begining there wasn't much time for photos but here are a couple

johnscar5002.jpg

New A/C Rad Fitted

johnscar5003.jpg

Air Box Finally fitted

threeac002.jpg

One of Three. The only "Factory" A/C Mantas in the UK

I think thats it for now although its all coming out again this winter but i'll let John carry on with that

Cheers

Andy

Edited by andyc