OMG what have i started.

lewis p

Around christmas time i spotted on a rally car website a damaged rally car for sale with all parts to repair.At first i ignored the ad but after a bit it was niggling me so i e mailed the guy.anyway after much um-ing and ahh-ing i decided to go and have a look (well it was only 12 miles up the road.When i turned up the car was sat there looking very sorry for its self so after some haggling it was bought and so was the red early b next to it as all the parts needed to repair or so i thought.Turns out that the guy had some more spares at his ex's house and he would bring them down later.The spares turned out to consist of 16 5 stud wheels some with competition tyres another set of springs and shocks and some gm panels.So far haven't had chance to do much with them.Because of the damage on the rally car i thing easiest thing to do is to re build it into the red shell.This is how things look before i start......

Pictureofcar007.jpg

Pictureofcar005.jpg

Pictureofcar004.jpg

So i am going to need a fair amount of help and encouragement.I think i'm going to build it as a usable 400r with the odd track day throw in.(if it ever gets that far).

lewis2193'at'aol.com

17180743241d04a47b01e3.gifav-108.gif

omoc#5825

You'll look back on these 3 pictures in a years time and either say :-

"hav'nt done much to those cars yet, must get started"

or

"wow! i cant believe a year ago i had those two, and now i've got something absolutely amazing that nobody else has. My god i feel smug! i knew i could do it if i got stuck in"

The absolute best of luck to you, having probably all of the parts and some duplicates is a massive bonus. You can really create something amazing with those two, whatever route you decide to take.

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

I may be wrong (hello Mr Grundy...[;)]) but I don't think the white car started life with a four slot nosecone as it has the double air inlet grilles under the windscreen. Later cars had just one.

Incidentally, have a good look at your wheels before you spend too much on them as they do have a habit of becoming oval.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

• 1 month later...

Quick update.Have been slowly stripping the red car.(not had loads of time on it to be honest) but have some renewd ethusiasm after my trip to billing.Have wanted to get the white one running before i take any bits of it have come to the conclusion that the cranksensor is the problem.Will try and get some pics up when theres some progress to see.

I know i'm a very long way off but am still trying to make up my mind what look i want to go for weather to go for a tidy road replica 400 or a full on rally replica or somwhere in between sort of stipped out and capable fast road car look, and weather to stick with the two slot grill or change to a four or even a lamp pod.So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be ace cheers.

lewis2193'at'aol.com

17180743241d04a47b01e3.gifav-108.gif

omoc#5825

Lewis, I would assume the chassis rails on the white car will be creased by the impact it had, even though fitted with fibreglass wings as fibreglass does have a habit of being very strong.

Re-shell into the red one, mate

You should be able to get all the running gear swapped over in a weekend.

So if the engine bay on the red on was stripped and painted, rubbed down prepped and painted, all you would have to do after fitting the running gear would be a bit o' bodywork, any welding and re-spray and jobs a good un.

Ok so the bodywork involves the fitting of a 400 Kit but hey ho. it'll save you time messing about with the old knacker of the white one.

A lot less work than it first appears. I hope the red shell is a good un

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

I agree with Clive on this one strip the white car, pop all the running gear, 5 studs, and engine into the red car.

Just get any welding etc sorted on the red one if needed and get a new 400 kit [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

• 10 months later...

Wow,Its been nearly a year since i first posted this topic.Where does the time go? I have probably made more progress with this in the last few weeks since deciding to make a little bit of time doing stuff i want to do rather than jobs round the house and garden.Have now got a 90% finished house for the red one.its 6m x 4m which seems perfect now with just the car and a workbench in but will probably fill up so i can't move pretty quickly.The car is up on stands almost a bare shell i think i have dropped fairly lucky it seems basicly a reasonably solid shell.Even though i havent done much to the car for a while i have gained a few more bits here and there the loft is full ,and with billing round the corner i seem to have gained some renewed enthuiasm.

I'm going to start stripping welding and painting the engine bay/inner wings next does any one have any suggestions where to start ?was thinking of sandblasting all the old rust/piant off doing any welding then painting not, sure what would be best to paint it with first (rust eater type stuff or just primer ? ).WIll try and get sum pictures up soon though have said that before and keep this topic up to date if anyone is intrested ?

• 2 weeks later...

Right just got round to taking a few pics progress is still slow have been laying flags to keep the wife happy only about 130 left to go .

23062008272.jpg

Garage isnt even finished but couldn't wait to get the manta moved in.

23062008270.jpg

The worst rust i have foundicon_confused.gif

23062008271.jpg

23062008269.jpg

Chassis legs dont look too bad.

23062008268.jpg

Engine bay very nearly empty.

Have found a load of yellow gromets about 20mm all over the car with ziebart rust proof written on all over the car could this of been some sort of waxoil thats been injected at some point allong with the good coat of underseal type stuff that seems to of been applied under the bonnet?

• 1 year later...

I can't believe how long it is since i have done anything on this.Had a bit of a crap year last year,collected a few parts but other than that haven't touched the car (though the garage is finished now.So with some renewed encouragement and enthusiasm I have restarted work at least one evening a week with some help from my mate and my brother in law.Only started last week ,but there will be pictures and updates more regularly.The car is now on a chassis tilter only trouble is the roof of my garage is about an inch too low to yurn the car over but its well off the ground and i can turn it enough to make life easier.

• 1 month later...

Mantadoc ....Good plan but its not on castors :(.

Any way why is iteven when youset time aside for tinkering time somthing always happens (like a slipped disc in my back) as i'm on the mend later today I'm planning on at least going in the garage and have a bit of a re organise and genral clear out.Its amazing it doesn't seem to matter how big you build a garage it still ends up full.Along with the loft.

Not the best picture but heres the car now on the tilter

P1250062.jpg

Edited by lewis p

• 5 months later...

Well its been a little while since my last update.In the last few weeks I (along with my brother inlaw and my mate) have made more progress than i have for months.We have done a bit of welding mainly under the bonnet area.then one evening we were chatting about what was next and how hany it would be to be able to tilt it on its side properly.So one end at a time we jacked it up and used caravn type axle stands (wouldn't use them for a car but perfect for the shell and must go up another 6 -8 inches higher than my normal axle stands,and 'ajusted' the chassis tilter now it goes all the way over :thumbup .Since then we have maily been scrapping the underseal off i'm really chuffed with how good it is underneath though we have found a couple of bits we would never of found without all the scraping until they were big holes.We are haveing a few hours on it tonight so i will get some pictures and upload them asap.