Heck, may get this to Billing

opel2000

Red Drums of Powah!!!!! 10bhp

Bloody cheek must be well over 10 at least 10.257 i would have thought......

Seriously though I just aint looking at having enough time to paint them black in order to hide them.

As per the red calipers they should have been black too but poss better to see some detail beneath the big wheels to take the eye away from the fact they are tiny tiny teeny tiny discs and sh1te calipers.

Also cobbled up a bit of a Zorst this aftonoon, simply needed to replace the pea shooter, which may look fine to the "I say old chep that is a most splendid looking MKI 1.6 Cavalier" type, but I'm afraid that simply aint me.

so went from pea shooter to 3" stainless tail pipe, this still looks quite small to me but then again i'm used to 5" tailpipe on the Nissan, and before that it was the twin 4 1/2" tailpipes on the V8.

compare for yourselves

rh%20zorst%202.jpg

rh%20zorst.jpg

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For goodness sake get some torpedo netting around the car for the next week or so Clive. Memories of your bonnet from last year come flooding back.[:0][:D]

In fact, and I really mean this, this topic seems "just right" for this time of year. Somehow, the last minute preparations for Billing that Clive's doing and posting up for our enjoyment are the perfect appetiser for next weekend.

Last year it was the trials and tribulations of the V8, this year a classic tastefully modified early 'B' hatch.

Great Stuff!

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

I must admit I'm interested in seeing this car in the flesh.

TBH I'm interested in seeing how the wheels look on it, i'm thinking of large rims (and modern) on my car, although I do love the dark wheels with polished rims[^]. I'm sure the engine may will be the showpiece tho[^].

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Tell you what fella's must say many thanks for the comments.

And must also say that I have poss bit off a bit more than I can chew with the engine bay in such a short space of time. Engine really needs to come out and each individual part cleaning, painting replacing, polishing etc. Simply haven't got the time for that so gonna do the best i can with engine in place. Just hope the weather stays off of me, had a fecking gut full of getting soaked this week.

As for the wheel nuts needing to be black, must totally agree with that, but simply do not have the time to get things like this sorted, this is by no means what I would consider to be a concours car, but miss driving a Manta, and really want to take something to billing, after all can't have Mantaman slagging off the Nissan now can I, so I've gone and spoilt a lovely original B for him instead [:D][:D][:D]

And as for any balls hitting the car, not too fussed really as I haven't put years of work and dreams into this one........... Yet.

Getting pretty damn fecking miffed here with this bloody weather[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

Had a reasonable amount of time to get stuff sorted, and yet everytime I go to do something it fecking rains. And I don't just mean rain I mean RAINid="size6">

Still got an engine bay like this Wich simply aint good.

And can't seem to do anything about it due to the b4stard weather.

rheng1.jpg

rheng2.jpg

Another b4st is that I have to make up a filter housing for a K&N filter element due to the one I was told "Yes mate, GM Varijet II with auto choke, this is the one you want"

Like feck was it[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

But simply cannot leave the hideous big black plastic thing on there.

Just don't know whether the one I'm gonna make will actually clear the bonnet......... Hmmmmm bonnet scoop[8D][8D][8D]

Nip to argos and buy the cheapest gazebo you can find.

Presto, a new manta garage! [:D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

The joys of living in the Midlands eh Clive having the same trouble, put the wheels on the caravan this morning nice and dry. As soon as i get the wheels out of my shed the heavens open up still put the wheels on but was wearing a waterproof coat and still got drenched to the skin[:(!] oh well and as i write this the bloody sun has come out go figure.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands. OMOC 5285

You know what Mesh. all I needed was one full clear day and I could have got the main body of the work done on this, but simply lost so much time through farting about between the downpours, I'm about to TRY and spray up the battery tray, and I just know what is gonna happen as soon as i lift the bonnet [:(][:(][:(]

I know what you mean Clive not been able to do any polishing or hoover the car out. Must say i did the most idle way of cleaning the car i've ever come up with, it was raining and all the car had on it before it rained was some dust build up so i just shammyed it off.[:D]

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands. OMOC 5285

That looks like the very same rain that got me!

I had about 20 minutes of fencing work to do so i thought id get wet but get it finished. 20 minutes in the dry is 45 minutes in the rain. Plus driving an hour home in soaking clothes is - uncomfortable to put it politely.

Painting the rocker cover redid="red"> might be a nice touch? Made a hell of a difference when i restored my Herald, not original but tied the engine to the car. (very trendy in America to do this apparently)

If you were really bothered, the mk4 astra's with alloys have plastic nut covers on the wheels.

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Body coloured Rocker cover!!!!????

No amateurs here mate[8D][;)]

And thanks Danny, quite hoping to make this a cool retro sleeper with some later additions to the engine.

Well this is about done now, Got a load of bits cleaned polished painted and fitted just need to try and find some new hose clips for the Rad hoses, fit some brackets to the rear bumper (it came off of a coupe and doesn't have the extensions for the side fitting bit) try and get some plug leads that are not falling apart, TRY and cobble up the air filter housing...... This has been an absolute b4stard.

Car has also been serviced, and just need to try and time it up due to some muppet having put the dizzy back on 180 degreees out, so I assume it has had it's head off in the past.

Chrome trim now fitted all round (back on its wheels ten mins ago)

And I'm absolutely fffing knackered, Car is insured at £125.00 with Wheels declared

Just need to fish out the MOT and get the damn thing taxed, put water in it, fire it up and drive the damn thing OH! and give it a polish.

rhbay.jpg

You know, a cynical man might think you worked on that car for ages and just pretended its all quick and last minute [;)]

Tis looking good [^]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

I Really wish that was the case Shug, cos non stop Rain AGAIN for the last 3 hours has now pretty much stuffed me from finishing this off tonight to get it to Billing tomorrow.

Need to get water and anti-freeze in it, make and weld some side brackets to the rear bumper, set up the timing and the new points, re-fit the boot interior try and get the centre caps to fit onto the wheels and weld a piece onto the base of the air filter thing I'm trying to make.

Then wash and polishe the damn thing and hoover out all the crud on the inside of the car.

Oh and in case you are wondering...... The air filter is going to take approx 3 hours to make. Hence the weather has stuffed me big time.

4ucked off now[:(][:(][:(][:(]

Bl00dy hell clive that all went on rapid! The varijet K&N code is 56-9037 and they are an awkward fit, but I take it the base plate of yours is the wrong shape altogether? On the 1.8S they do sit very close to the bonnet underside but dont touch, should have the same clearence on this earlier engine.

I'm in the same situation as you with the weather but thankfully I've got an extra day[;)] See you there.

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

Dead easy engines to clean up and look tidy though are the 2.0s engines, a lot of time has gone into this and literally busted my balls on this since I bought those wheels.

I did buy a K&N air filter but took it back as it simply did not clear the Auto choke mechanism, which incidentally has been the major problem in making the baseplate that I have cobbled up.

Weather broke here about 7:45 and went and filled the cooling system, and got it running and timed up and ran it round the block.

Actually took fecking ages just to do that due to messing about with the points and having plug leads with No.1 in No. 4 position etc, and no fuel from the tank, went to get fuel and the queue was a bloody mile down the road.

I'm knackered and I want my bed[xx(]

He He LOL AndyP, that just prompted me to fish out a similar pic I had.

Well the car got to Billing.

It was pretty damn hectic here on friday, as such I did not have time to post anything up as regards the progress.

Simply wish to god I had never tried to make up an air filter housing to sit on top of the Varijet.

Just when I thought it was done, I find the throttle doesn't move all the way, it was stopping the acceleator pump from rising.

Had to keep cutting bits of the base out and eventually ended up making a spacer for it to clear other bits.

But all got done gave it a quick wash, loaded the camping stuff up and drove off.

Driving down to Billing I noticed that when the car EVENTUALLY got up to 80MPH there were real horrid vvvVVVVuu vvvVVVuu vvvVVVuu noises sounded like the auto box was not at all happy about something, which quite worried me, also it seems that the car wanted to decide to run as rich as something that runs really rich.

Anyway got it onto the concours field on Sunday (car being far from concours) and the bloody alternator decided to pack up on me. [:(]

Fortunately one was spotted on the Autojumble and £10 later it was fitted, so down the pan went my nice dead shiny one and lovely black dirty dusty manky scabby one was fitted but at least it worked [:)]

Anyway as despondant as I was about the forthcoming Billing itself and actually trying to get the bloody car there, I was simply so damn pleased I persevered what with the weather being brilliant and getting there with a Manta. I love the car and it will be going Manual and having a Weber fitted.

So here are the final pics at the end of the topic, bit annoyed I never got a pic of my car in the concours line up, but hey ho.

rh%20bill%201.jpg

rh%20bill%202.jpg

And that's pretty much a succesful conclusion to this topic, and would like to say thanks to the guys and girls that came to see it at Billing, nice to have raised a bit of interest to be honest.

I should have a pic or two of her in the line-up. I'll have to get them uploaded as I don't know how well they've all come out!? I was curious to see if this was in standard B or standard CC as it doesn't seem to be clearly defined anywhere.

Manual gearbox, 4 or 5 speed? The 4 speed boxes must be in surplus supply by now [:D] and the autos too!

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta