Heck, may get this to Billing

opel2000

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Thought the mention of the 1.8 box would have made it obvious tbh.

id="quote">id="quote">

Well no,how many different front wheel drive type engines are there that bolt to this gearbox, 1.6 16 valve,2.0 SEH,2.0 XE,2.0 LET,2.0 SET,2.0 Echotech,2.2 16 Valve,2.2 16 Valve Turbo,3.0 V6,3.2 V6,3.2 V6 Turbo,etc all of which would make an interesting Manta.

With the outward appearance of his car,standard with excellent alloys and good power with the XE,this will make this a really nice Manta.

One thing about this Manta if i owned it i would have a think about is the tailgate colour,the Red going 'up into' the vinyl roof,might this be better black,paint or vinyl? i think Vauxhall had this problem why they left it Red,because if it is made black where would you put the line between the black and red at the bottom of he tailgate,perhaps best left alone.untill i saw this car i wondered what a vinyl roof looked like on a Manta/Cavalier hatch.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

quote:One thing about this Manta if i owned it i would have a think about is the tailgate colour,the Red going 'up into' the vinyl roof,might this be better black,paint or vinyl
id="quote">id="quote">

The vinyl roofed hatches were always finished at the tailgate, due to the logistics of folding the vinyl around the edges of the tailgate itself, as I understand.

Quite like the tailgate colour going up into the black, but I appreciate what you are saying Mantaman.

Anyway, Block:-

Honed, cleaned and painted.

Head:-

Is stripped and I've started cleaning up the valves and re-seated half of them.

Just bidded on a Carlton clutch on Evil Bay.

Engine mounts are clean and painted ready to go on [;)]cheers buddy they were a bargain[;)]

Crank, mains caps and pistons are all cleaned up ready for new rings and shells all ready to back into the block.

Oil pump cleaned up and re-assembled all ready to go back on.

Brand new Steel sump is bolted to a friends spare XE block marked out for cutting and altering.

Cam cover has been smoothed down ready for paint.

Timing cover will receive a bit of engraving before that gets painted the same as the cam cover.

Inlet manifold is still in the process of being cleaned up, as it was a hell of a mess and lost interest out in the cold last night at 11pm

All moving on well but got no time to put all piccies up as yet. but here are a couple of pics. Oh and that is one of my daughters with the boots on not me.

xe1.jpg

xe2.jpg

xe3.jpg

Should be a distinct difference when finished, really want this engine fitted and running within a couple of weeks time, if I wasn't working so much into the evenings lately this wouldn't normally be a problem.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

cant wait to see this finished. had a feeling you where going down the xe route. you got any mods planned for it?

if ya need any parts for that ive stripped about 3 engines and ive most things in storage, [:)]

omoc member 5918 (leeds)

the only i240 hatch

washing-machine-181.gif

g1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Heck! due to recent events I may now be going a totally different route altogether, but if I do it is not going to be a straight swap and will need a car as a daily driver now as since Friday just gone i have been having toi use the hatch as a daily drive with the Cih in it.

Crashsm.jpg

Feel a project change of direction coming on, many thanks to the lorry that drove into me.

Car actually looks quite good on the pic, quite shocking in real life, but there is a seriously damn good engine in there which faces the right way round.

Thanks D.Fish

Yeah i'm fine, but the hassles I've had since Friday you would not believe.

Current thoughts/options are..

Rebuild the XE, which is only going to take an evening as everything is now cleaned up, and get this fitted, but need to spend cash on rebuild items Plus Exhaust manifold and system.

Not to mention a minor hassle of building a fuel reseve/swirl pot to sit under the axle tunnel in order to fuel the injection system and alter the tank to allow a fuel return. (Carb tank fitted)

Or Try fitting the CA18DET out of the Nissan, which is simply going to take time, but time is going to cost me money.

XE route is a known quantity and should be relatively straightforward.

CA18DET route is going to be trial and error and there may well be a lot of modification involved, speedo drive, Hydraulic clutch, Trans tunnel, rad mounting, intercooler mounting, etc, etc,

at the moment the hatch is drinking fuel like there is no tomorrow (Tired Varijet on a CiH coupled with my heavy right foot and an auto choke that takes about a day to decide to go off)

I could tweak the CIH, by setting tappets, fiddling with carb and swapping onto electronic ignition, etc., to give better power and economy but would be wasting time when i could be spending this time on a better engine swap.

Bloody nice to be driving a Manta again though, the looks the car gets is absolutely amazing

:sad

maybe you will be the first to put this engine into a Manta. :thumbup

quote]

There is already a Manta out ther with a CA18DET in it. :thumbup I helped the guy put one in an A Series last year. Theres some pics on the forum somewhere.

Hi Clive, hope you,re ok, need to call you.

I meant to mention that too Simon. as I saw that thread by Youngun when looking back for this thread/topic.

Really don't think I have the time to CA this, as I would really like it spot on if I was going that route, but would be one hell of a sleeper though

Ouch

That looks nasty. Glad you're ok mate

I think the XE is prob you're best option. Enough power and economy to make a reliable daily driver without the excessive hassle that the CA will undoubtly cause.

The XE is at most couple of days job once you have all the parts.

Oh but you still have to sort the fuel feed/return issue of course.

Unless you go for Bike carbs

Fuel feed return issue.

Plan is to build a 3" square x 10" long baffled stainless tank to mount at an angle above the axle, one of my fuel pump brackets will be mounted to take the fuel from there to injection sytem. Red top pump will need fitting "Somewhere" to supply the baffled tank.

Return will be by a BSP fitting screwed into the bottom of the hatch tank filler neck, this BSP fitting shall have a 90 degree bent tube welded into it's internal bore to ensure that the return fuel shall be pointing down into the tank rather than hitting the walls of the filler neck.

the thread of the BSP fitting shall be sealed with somethign suitable to stop any fuel/vapour leaks.

Well that's the plan for the fuel system. Just need to sort out what pipes are going to be going where, air bleed, and where the return line goes into tank etc.

All perfectly do-able, and with no injection hatch tanks around this seems the most simple cheap easy logical route, with no welding of fittings onto the tank itself.

I think normally with swirl pot systems the return from the engine goes to the Baffled tank, with an overflow from the top of that to the tank.

It lets any air traped in the system out aswell as making sure the red-top doesn't over pressurise the injection pump (as its normally gravity fed)

Apart from that it does sound the simplest solution. Although finiding the right places to mount everything could be harder. Especially if you need access to it at a later date.

Its been awhile since i looked around a hatch fuel tank but is there room to mount the baffled tank infront of the spare wheel well but behind the panhard rod? Or to the side of it by the exhaust (with a heat shield)

Would just keep it away from the axle. Could even be shaped around the spare wheel well slightly?

Noramlly on race or rally cars all the pumps and pipework are mounted in the boot. But being a hatch you'd then need to isolate them from the drivers compartment.

Do remember seeing one car that had everything actually mounted in the spare wheel well, with a polycard cover over the lot and sealed around the edge. Kept it all away from the outside world and made working on it a lot easier. But he did have to carry his spare wheel in the boot.

Yes mate, everything you have just said, is everything i have been thinking of.

This can be an awkward area, but there is a lot of room under there to sort something out.

Main concern is mounting the red top fuel pump and getting any tank that i may make sitting correct to give a bleed off point at it's highest mounted position to return to fuel tank.

Ideally would like everything outside of the car, as the hatch tank lives outside i don't really want to go plumbing fuel lines into the car but there maybe room around the spare wheel to mount the red top and give a nice neat setup. But of course this means that the pump will be higher than the tank

Or I could get hold of a hatch injection tank,,,, ho ho hang on mate, I'll just get back on me chair after falling off laughing

i got 1. remember i got an injection tank for my hach of you when i bought your coupe. i never used it because the return pipe is blocked and i havnt managed to unblock it. its also abit shitty inside could do with a good clean out. im not needing this now as im running carbs and ive gone to a non injection tank. yours if ya want it. its as new on outside.

Yes mate, everything you have just said, is everything i have been thinking of.

Great minds think alike

But when i'm involved its probably just coincidence

Ideally would like everything outside of the car, as the hatch tank lives outside i don't really want to go plumbing fuel lines into the car but there maybe room around the spare wheel to mount the red top and give a nice neat setup. But of course this means that the pump will be higher than the tank

A red top pump will run without problems even if it is mounted above the tank. The only issue you may have is if you run out of fuel completly, then the pump will need to run for a little bit before its starts to suck the fuel up, but it will manage it.

With a red-top you can hear the pump when its sucking air, its slows a little as it pumps petrol, then slows more when its up to pressure.

I've even seen a couple of people mount the pump in the engine bay, now i wouldn't recomend that.

But it did work

Although it did take a long while to pump through if it ran out of petrol

Edit: Oh and if you want the tank from Mickappy i could drop it off for you on my next delivery trip down your way (should be within the next couple of weeks) :thumbup

i did see in a magazine the swirl pot was fitted on the inner wing near the headlamp's ,not in a manta though.

looked a bit of a mess,but am sure a man with your skill's could make a nice stainless box to hide all the gubbin's

am sure it used two pump's one high pressure and one low pressure,maybe the low pressure was a return to the tank..pity i gave the article to sutty when he bought a engine and my bad memory

I think the return from the fuel rail should go into the main tank as this fuel will have been heated by its trip. This means the low pressure pump has to work harder but should mean a denser charge.

Then again other articles say put the hot fuel back in at the top to help the swirl action......

....but found some more that say the top thing.

Swings and roundabouts.

Well possibly best to end this topic here really.

Car has got to go....

Been driving this about and it is just not me to be driving a car with chrome bumpers etc.

Car gets lots of attention, but it really aint me.

Just not sure whether to Ebay it or put it up for sale on here.

Love the look of the car, but it is not a car I really want to be seen in, i know this may sound daft, but there you have it.