Restoration 1.6 manta B 1978

0peli400

I've actually developed quite a soft spot for the early B's since seeing a couple crackers at Billing.

You say this is the last one, but time will tell. Itchy fingers n all that [;)]

What wheels are you actually going for? Got 3 options in them photos!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

its the silver 13 x 8 inch ats rims (spare 9&1/2) im going for, they were yellow, got the blasted, straightened! and painted and laquered,

The 15 inch revolutions are of my 400 replica (gallery forum)

This is the last, (for sure) this is my second one in a row, never again, well for now[:o)]

could have been on ebay, bought it dirt cheap in Belfast, for a spare shell, seen so many b's in billing just had to restore it.

The line up of B's in billing just goes to prove that they are a better shell, (if they don't , why are there so many of them against the gte etc in billing. there always seems to be more b's.

I will post photos as she get renewed,

Its nicknamed busy bee ) Sisters kid, because it yellow and black (wings)

Seems to suit it or should it be (Buzy B)

The last B I seen with a factory fitted sunroof looked like this,

REVERTINGBACK.jpg

[V]

It had a mint interior till someone left the door open on it, it is now green, velvet moss

Any car Ive owned with a factory fitted sunroof, I extend the sunroof drains out of the sill, a small piece of 8 mm copper, slid up the inside of existing drain, then drill a 10mm hole in the sill, gromet it and put a extra 800mm piece of sunroof drain on to the copper pipe and out through the sill, The sunroof in the grey exclusive is done this way, its amazing how much water goes through this, a ten minute shower of rain, nearly filled a jam jar sitting beneath this pipe, (a 15 minute job, saves a manta)

so if you dont do this you have the equivant of a river flowing through your sill.

why was this overlooked, maybe it was a master plan by opel to make you buy a new car with in 6 or 8 years, a saves them keeping parts for beloved mantas, if the cars are rusting away, no need for parts,

(so thats why the vauxhall dealer always asks, you must keep it in a garage?)

The B im restoring has no sunroof java script:insertsmilie('[:D]') java script:insertsmilie('[:)]')

java script:insertsmilie('[:)]')

java script:insertsmilie('[:)]')

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

• 4 weeks later...

Joe or you a sales rep for this company ![:D]

you have been getting a bit of stick for this, I was going to phone up the company and asked for joe, only joking, but they did ask were i got there number from, said I was a member of the omoc, they seemed well impressed, (oh no, not another one!!!)

I read your section in the last manta magic and thought I would give it a go!!

well happy with it, done a good job on the exhaust maniford, do you know the way a cast manifold is rusty and very hard to clean, two days dippped in this stuff and a run over with a wire brush on a drill, good enough to powder coat or ceramic coat, think i will just high temp paint it for now.

I will never sandblast again[8D][:D][:D][:D]

quote:Originally posted by Joe

[br

RustremovalbathforDeox-C.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

Its that photo that makes me wonder if people go 'missing' in Joes neck of the woods [:D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

Hopefully all OMOC members will now be able to take advantage of the BH 20% discount offer for the club. See my posts elsewhere about this.

I ought to be on commission, but it's simply good stuff and I hate to see people buying stuff that doesn't work as well.

As to the missing people, well they say that you never leave our village once you move here (and those sausages the local butcher sells are just so moreish....[}:)])

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making some good progress there [^] Will be finished before you know it.

Only wish I could say the same of mine!

OMOC #5988

mcrae.jpg

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

front and back axle stripped using bilt hamber and coated with redoxide, 2 pack primer and black

IMG_0493.jpg

red drums and lowered springs!

IMG_0494.jpg

yellow dust gets everywhere

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

ford sierra not another hole!!

car was very solid was well protected with waste oil underneath, very messy to remove but it preserved the car like new

must have been dry stored most of its life only 44k on the clock!!

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

another few weeks Matt and youll be driving her!!

• 2 months later...

Sorry, been to long, got it finished anyway,

fresh coat of paint

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

finished article

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Twins, well they share the same birthday, both 1978, amazing what a bit of fiberglass and imagination does, still love the look of both of them. different in their own ways (all good)

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

so that my collection complete ! (Happy Now)

black.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Liking that B long time,plain exterior works well and the non-overider Cavalier bumpers look alot tidier than the Manta ones.

Done it myself i'd left off the sie skirts to keep the B theme going but thats only personal taste and you cant fault how this has turned out,are you going to bring it to Billing so we can all OOh and Arr at it?

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.