Bendy's XE power 400 project

bendy

After far far toolong i did get a few things done with the project recently. Just cleaning bits up and blasted all of the front suspension components. Now hanging around all over the garage ready for some shiny black paint!

february2009snowmanta022.jpg

ebaystuff036.jpg

:thumbup bendy jist rab.Dinae lose heart wi it :( awe or most owe us have hit that bitty when yur nae jist finished und yae see loads still tae dae BUT WELL WORTH IT IN THI END.

Awr yur bits hangin aboot jist like early crimbo decarations

;) Jist awe pity wi dinae stay closer thi gither wid hiv yae doon thi pub wi us lot fae doon here wid soon get yae back tae buildin yur 400.

Oniways keep awt it wull pop back in again soon und see awe yur deco`s awe painted up PS, Wid miss oot thi glitter though!! :rolleyes:

Cheers thi noo rab.

• 5 weeks later...

Aye its hard keeping at it sometimes, you wonde why your doing it, its lonely up here! :rolleyes:

Im back on it now though.

Few things starting to look like something now. Got a hydraulic handbrake at last, springs and dampers are on the way, got universal balljoint boots to replace the perished ones. Lots of painting, blasting, painting, blasting, blasting, blasting, painting, stripping been going on! Ive put loads of hours in the past few days but its slow progress. :(

I started with a HUGE garage tidy up, things never go right when theres a mess. Probably doesnt look tidy but you should of seen it before! :blink::blink::blink:

mantasuspension008.jpg

Calibra Calipers rebuilt with Ferodo 3466 compound fast road pads.

mantasuspension001.jpg

mantasuspension002.jpg

various front suspension/crossmember parts all painted up.

mantasuspension004.jpg

mantasuspension005.jpg

Blasted all the bolts an little things up in my crap slow messy home grown blasting set up! they wre all growing with rust so thought no point re assembling it all with that it would be poor practice.

mantasuspension003.jpg

mantasuspension006.jpg

Fitted new rubbers to bottom balljoints, had some hassle with the mega springy double wound old retaining clips so i improvised with a silicone tube to stretch them and pop them on like this, impossible otherwise.

mantasuspension014.jpg

mantasuspension015.jpg

New vertical handbrake.

mantasuspension010.jpg

had a good go at cleaning up the gearbox because it will look skanky compared to everything else, might try and clean it up with some blasting not sure yet.

mantasuspension009.jpg

Hopefully next time you see this lot it will be all bolted together, ive forgotten which bolts, washers and all go where now so there will be a bit of head scratching. Dont even have another manta to look at for reference anymore! :lol:

Great to see this project going again! id rather see a man take as long as whats needed to complete it, than give up half ways there! we all need a break from them aswell!

Great job, I went into this much detail, when I was restoring both of mine, It is a long process, but wait til you have it fully built!

Oh, Gearbox, just an idea, but, how about etch primering it when it is clean, or blasted, and finish it in silver, or black! That way, it looks good as new, and easier to clean in the future!

keep up the hard work! :thumbup

id rather see a man take as long as whats needed to complete it, than give up half ways there! we all need a break from them aswell!

Very true Matt! I'm at my project over 3 years now and it's not even anything special-i just want everything right so i'm not really worried about the time factor.

Nice work going on there Bendy :thumbup This seems very similar to my project as well-will be interesting to see the 2 of them done! as regards the gearbox the handiest way i found of getting it clean was to wash it thourghly and get rid of all the oil and gunk and then give it a going over with some wire brush attachments in a drill. At least then it'll be nice and shiny anyway and you can decide then whether you want to paint it or not?

Keep up the good work :thumbup

Cheers guys, a bit of encouragement always helps too. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

A break doesnt hurt either if you get sick of it, i dont want to take any shortcuts. Ill be annoyed if i finish it and ive not done omething to as good as it could of been :angry:

God knows what mine will turn out like, im no mechanic or automotive painter and this is the first car ive ever tried to restore/rebuild whatever you want to call it. Ill have a go at anything though :D

As for the gearbox would it be wrong to paint it black?? Ive got 5 litres of this chassis paint, would hide the oil leaks!! or should it be silver :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Ive already been at it with jizer and wire brushes in the drill quite alot, think ill take it up to my cousins and get it in the blast cabinet then primer it.

Turned my attention to the soft rubber steering coupler, ive never liked it and remenbered christ using a VW beetle urethane job so got one too! Apologies for ripping off the idea but i liked it. Had some job butchering off the old one had to cut through the rubber into the links as they needed hammering out of the joints

Also blasted and painted the rusty arms and cleaned the rack body, gaters and balljoints and painted it up. I do have a copper grease fetish before anybody says it. Mainly because i dont like rusty nuts and if anybody has to dismantle this it will be me

mantasuspension016.jpg

mantasuspension017.jpg

mantasuspension018.jpg

mantasuspension019.jpg

All the suspesnion is together minus 400lb rally spec springs which havent arrived yet. Braided hoses audi 256mm discs, heavy duty 50mm engine mounts ect. Im quite pleased with how its turned out.

mantasuspension022.jpg

mantasuspension023.jpg

mantasuspension021.jpg

bendy,

If you do paint the box, make sure you use etch primer for alloy, this is used to primer alloy wheels, i grips to the alloy, then use top coat! I would personally use silver, but as you said, black would be o.k, they are only silver as they are made from alloy! so need need for factory to paint!

front suspensions tooks well, and its not gonna be hard to take apart again! > copper grease !! :thumbup

Got a good graft in this weekend on the manta, springs arrived so fitted the fronts, fitted the clutch to the flywheel which ive used the XE cover plate and a carlton 2.3 diesel friction plate which is even more meaty than a calibra turbo one! :thumbup

Since its been raining all day i decided to just get wet and set about degreasing the rear axle, then removed all the bushes from the rear arms ect which took some time they were in some state with rust inside the rubber. I cleaned up all the oily mess of everything for the rear suspension and the gearbox again. I then wire wheeled off the worst rust (excluding the axle) and took it up to my cousins where i spent a good few hours in the blast cabinet, the gearbox cleaned up very well as did most of the stuff, especially the rear drums. Let rip with with some primer and silver onto the gearbox and its looking pretty good, took your advice on the etch primer and silver! :D

The rear axle is in quite good nick considering which im quite pleased about. I mounted the engine onto the subframe and fitted some wheels ready for gearbox to be fitted up, had to due to running out of space to work on things! :blink:

All in all its been good progress and im very happy with the results.

heres a few pics. ;)

before

mantasuspension011.jpg

After

mantasuspension031.jpg

Before

mantasuspension007.jpg

after

mantasuspension032.jpg

mantasuspension026.jpg

mantasuspension028.jpg

mantasuspension029.jpg

mantasuspension027.jpg

mantasuspension030.jpg

After blasting

mantasuspension033.jpg

Paint

mantasuspension034.jpg

mantasuspension035.jpg

mantasuspension036.jpg

AAAAAAHHHH thats what that thing does! Seems obvious now you said it it didnt make sense when i was hacking it up :rolleyes:

Hopefully in a week or 2 ill have all the drivetrain painted up and finished, i need to make the bold (and expensive) move and buy a LSD very very soon now and try to get these halfshafts out again. Im still not sure what type or manufacturer to get :blink::blink::blink:

Cheers guys :thumbup

I got the dizzy bracket from Kevin Abbot on here he gets them made up so give him a shout if he still does it.

Got a few more bits done the past week when i had a minute here and there. mainly painting parts but i also heat wrapped the exhaust manifold which was a horrible job, its now loosely bolted up to the engine and the gearbox is also mounted with the seals replaced awaiting the gear lever bracket to go back on, new gearbox mount, speedo drive cable and clutch cable (need to source a new one). I need new head studs and bolts for the manifolds yet too. Im going to order powerflex bushes for the entire rear end soon hopefully but ive made no progress about a diff or the rear axle yet. This is mainly because i just bought a winter hack motorbike for £700 so the diff will have to wait for a bit! Unless i sell the Vectra which sould well be on the cards because it just sits on the drive for weeks on end doing nothing i just dont use cars over the winter at all. Its money that would get the parts i want and need for the manta.

Anyway heres some pics. Forgive me for the Bike picture, it was in there to get the side stand welded up so i snapped it

mantasuspension037.jpg

mantasuspension039.jpg

mantasuspension038.jpg

mantasuspension043.jpg

mantasuspension044.jpg

mantasuspension045.jpg

mantasuspension046.jpg

mantasuspension047.jpg

mantasuspension041.jpg

Ive also got my hands on a fibreglass nosecone for nothing, its got a broken corner on it but im not sure if this worth fitting, ive got a reasonably healthy nosecone on mine and how much weight can it save? Or is it a case of every gram counts!

mantasuspension042.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys :thumbup

John, was a CBR 600 i got when i dropped the engine off to you but i sold it a couple of months back and replaced it with a 2002 Fireblade 954, far better bike to get along with not so buzzy! As for the VFR it was a bargain, actually paid £680 for it with a years test, 6 months tax, heated grips, stainless system and new tyres! its scabby but it works! Didnt get the luggage the guy kept it for his new winter bike but the racks are Givi monokey full set up so i will need to get a top box, the VFR has no space under the seat for things like the fireblade does :D

Hi Bendy,

Excellent work as always! :thumbup

Sorry to be a pain but i wonder would there be any chance you could take a pic of the front suspension head on looking directly down on top of the upper arm? The reason i ask is i never realised that the upper arms are actually handed and the only way of telling the difference is that the arm has slightly different curves and the sharper curve is supposed to face the front. I just want to check i have it right before i go any further.

I see you didn't replace any of you're front bushings. A wise choice....i replaced all mine with Superflex ones and what a complete b****rd they are to fit! :angry: Never again!

:D:D:D:D:D Same mistake i made, i forgot they wre handed too, i think there will be much head scratching towards the end of the project on what goes where and what bolts are for what :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check this thread out for which way they go,

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/23712-wishbone-assembly/

ive already made the mistake for ya. The way i had it is correct :thumbup

Im going to fit powerflex bushes to the outrigger to chassis part as the old ones were shot, the rest are in pretty good nick so i left them. Im also going to do everything i can to reduce the manta understeer it realy annoys me. I think fitting uprated front bushes will make it worse, i may even try it with no front anti roll bar when i get it going. I will be fitting a full powerflex kit to the rear end to reduce axle tramp and tighten things up back there, my hatch had pretty worn bushes at the rear and it made for a pretty wooly feel :thumbup

Edited by bendy

Thats spot on Bendy-cheers for that! :thumbup

I have it right so looking at those pics-spacers and all! Although i think that might be just down to some good luck! :D

Thats very interesting to hear regarding polybushes and understeer. I had been chatting to a few lads who had fitted them and were complaining about understeer and reckoned it was down to the polybushes leaving it too hard. They all happened to be GSI Astra owners though so i reckoned it might just be FWD problem?...obviously not... :(

Feck it anyway-i literally just fitted the last of them to the lower arm this evening! :angry: And it was such a b****rd of a job gettin the old ones out and the new in. Oh well...they're in now...so they're stayin in!! I haven't the anti roll bar fitted yet-i wonder would i be better off using the standard rubber bushings on the tie bars or would it make much of a difference now with poly's now in everything else..?

BTW if you are going to fit those outrigger to chassis bushes the Superflex part No. you need is....SPF 1753 (bushing) and SPF 1753W (washers to replace originalsteel ones) You may already have a contact for these but if you don't give member 'TJM' on here a shout-he'll sort ya out :thumbup

Edited by endakillian

• 2 months later...

Aye ill most likely be getting a diff from TJM so when i have saved up enough ill get the bushes at the same time maybe. Although powerflex seems to be alot cheaper for those ones including washers :blink:

Unfortunately my vectra GSI got destroyed by a milk delivery pick up while parked up overnight at a friends house and nobody owned up to it so if i ever get that mess sorted out ill use some of the cash to get parts for the manta. Really cant be bothered with another road car this has happened to me 3 times in 9 years :angry::angry::angry:

Anyway. . .. .

Ive now got polybushes for the rear end stuff, i finally got the halfshafts out after borrowing a huge slide hammer from the boys at the councils garage. Rear axle has been taken apart blasted up and is in red oxide waiting till i can afford the diff really. Dont want to paint it till its all together as it will probably just get paint chipped off. Next week i hope to be taking the shell into the local industrial estate on a trailer to get it properly blasted inside and out and done in oxide. Not sure what it will cost but it will be done right and any remaining hidden previous shoddy welding or rot will show up. Should have progress pictures soon. :thumbup

vectradamage001.jpg

vectradamage004.jpg

Aye the vectra is screwed, twisted A,B and C posts its worse than it appears its pulling left very badly, not drivable. Its annoying as it was a good car :angry::angry::angry:

The manta shell is now on its side on the mattress and tyres in the blasting shed (what a mess it is in there). I got some help and we moved it the other night in a lull in the weather despite me being signed off work with now "mild" pneumonia and i can say i was completely wiped out after it (also toyota hilux D4d things suck). I didnt have chance to take any pictures and Ive not been in to see it but the guy doing it phoned earlier and said just the one box section underneath is quite poor as he uncovered previous rubbish welding/patches on it but doesnt sound like too many horror stories which is good. Next week they will hopefully get it done properly and covered up with red oxide, then move onto the inside and engine bay. I will try to get some photos if im healthier next week. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its so annoying trying to get it all sorted out too :angry:

Took a swing past the blasters last night as they have finished the bottom so they are leaving tipping it down to start the inside and outside to me since i tied it up in their. Obviously its a bit covered in glass but its turned out quite well with only one dodgy box section exposed which is brilliant, i was planning on altering that part for some exhaust clearance anyway so i will just make up a new box. You can also see there is patches of original underseal left on it, i told them if its lasted this long and its still good just leave it rather than spend time and risk heating the steel too much trying to get it off.

mantablasting002.jpg

mantablasting005.jpg

mantablasting003.jpg

mantablasting004.jpg