Bendy's XE power 400 project

bendy

The shell is finished now just need to steal a trailer and a tow wagon again to get it home, if the snow subsides in the next day or two that is! :angry:

Got some axle pics, took some serious slide hammer action to get the halfshafts out. A "borrowed" shopping trolley makes a very usefull stand to work on an axle and wheel it about the shed, even keep all the parts in it. All you need is some kidnapper spec cable ties, job done! :thumbup:D :D

Sadly ive got a snapped bolt in the casing, it just popped with absolutely no force. Top tips for getting it out? I tried a set of footprints on it but its extremely tight. Probably should of tried to turn a nut on it and weld it :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

mantaaxlesnowpics013.jpg

mantaaxlesnowpics014.jpg

mantaaxlesnowpics018.jpg

Snapped bolt.

mantaaxlesnowpics011.jpg

Halfshafts

mantaaxlesnowpics017.jpg

Wow...Think id be right in saying it looks pretty damn solid for a manta? :thumbup Door posts etc all good?

Shells not too bad, ive already done a good bit of welding on it and theres a bit more now after the blasting but i want all the rot out at this stage not 5 years down the road! :(

I took the axle up to my cousins and got the heat on the casing next the broken bolt then it turned out very easily with a stud extractor :thumbup

The wire feed in my welder has packed up its pretty much had it which i really dont need right now and im out of gas. So a new welder is on the shopping list and ill have to try and scrounge some gas from somehwere too :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

What type of diff have you got Enda? pm sent back :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive finally got he shell back home again, the whole blasting thing turned into a disaster. They moved it outside and covered it up for "a couple of days" while they did some big tower from a fire station. Time rolled on and i kept trying to get them to finish the inside of it. I kept getting told next week, a couple of days and that sort of thing. Last week it came to the point i went to look at the shell and its probably done more harm than good now so i took it home again. I do not feel like paying for the work they did on it.

They didnt even clean the sand out of it and now the sills are full of wet sand along with the chassis rails etc and some parts are rustier now than they were before it went in. To say im depressed about it is an understatement. Once more on sunday i felt like abandoning the whole thing, it shouldnt be this difficult.

BUT, i think what im going to do is get a big space warmer, plenty of fuel and turn the shell upside down and get it rested on tressles, heat it up to dry out the sand and then blow it out of all the cavities. Ill also be able to repair the bits floor that are rotten which the blasting exposed at a good working height.

Mossclairshedtidy009.jpg

If you can get it in a relativley airtight space a dehumidifier running for a few days will suck the moisture out of it.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe, as a man who has just had my Ascona bonnet wrecked by sandblasters I share your pain

Aye the blastings pretty much backfired, they told me it was finished but didnt do the inside or the engine bay. :angry:

Tysons just a big lad, 16lb of heavy duty vermin controll! hes gone through the front of a focus front bumper and radiator and lived to tell the tale (minus a couple of toes) no many lives left now the daft bugger. More like dog in a cats shell, only noise he makes is growling :thumbup

Got a BIG space heater in and turned the shell upside down, got it right on the car and the steam was blowing out of holes in the sills, A,B,C posts, rear quarters you name it, started blowing lumps of wet sand out, even been putting 20mm holes in the bottom of the sills for access to the crap thats stuck in them. when i gave up yesterday i had nearly 2 buckets full of sand out of it and theres more to go. just going to have to be patient and keep drying it and blowing/hoovering it out. Also marked up all the new bits that need repaired/welded and cut out the chassis section and floor which was a bit of a tragedy. Theres no mercy now, anything thats thin is getting he chop and coming out.

The heater made a good job of peeling underseal off almost with no assistance the floor got so hot!

Mossclairshedtidy032.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy031.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy030.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy033.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy035.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy037.jpg

Mossclairshedtidy036.jpg

Nice work bendy, looks like the usual manta rust, The more you look, the more you find, I wish i had the room to roll mine over though, Not as easy to do in single garage, Ill just keep having to set my self on fire underneath mine

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh its handy getting it upside down, not an easy task right enough :unsure:

Got another bucket of sand out last week, thought that must be it but ive just shaken more out tonight, its never ending. Started turning my attention to making up some new sections to repair the floor in the meantime.

The sand just keeps on coming

Mossclairshedtidy057.jpg

I was nearly squeezing out a turd leaning on this section in the vice trying to bend it!!!!

Mossclairshedtidy056.jpg

Old expendable hoover and hose was knocked up a few weeks ago, the green hose in one of the pics on the last page is said device! Problem is the sand is damp and just wont suck up through it, just clogs up. Its just got to be patience and leave it for a couple of days till some more dries up and hoover/blow it out. Ive been using the hose and air line to sort of blow it along and spread it out every couple of days. its tedious but its working.

Yeh ive got enough angle iron to choke several horses, i have a couple of bits i put in the vice for bending sheet but it still gets me sweat on bending it over! You got a more clever method than i do?? cant really justify buying a sheet bender its not often i would use it

I used a section of hose taped to a hoover to get the sand out of my sills. Helped being on a spit as you could swing the shell round to see how much more sand fell down the A and B posts.

Only down side was that my parents new Dyson now has a frosted rather than clear collection canister. :unsure:

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Right then, ive had a new brainstorm. Ive come to the conclusion the manta axle is a bit of a sinking ship, as im sure one day i hope to have a decent wedge of power in this car. Also, i pretty much want to have an LSD as im really not a fan of open diffs. So, what are peoples thoughts on fitting an entire BMW E36 rear end to the shell, independant suspension, cheaper stronger diffs and possible better handling?? I know its alot of work but i would feel confident i may be able to pull this sort of thing off now :blink:

Right then, ive had a new brainstorm. Ive come to the conclusion the manta axle is a bit of a sinking ship, as im sure one day i hope to have a decent wedge of power in this car. Also, i pretty much want to have an LSD as im really not a fan of open diffs. So, what are peoples thoughts on fitting an entire BMW E36 rear end to the shell, independant suspension, cheaper stronger diffs and possible better handling?? I know its alot of work but i would feel confident i may be able to pull this sort of thing off now :blink:

E36 rear end makes sense - would make even more sense if you hadn't decided on the XE - you can get a complete (damaged) E36 M3 for a couple of grand wink.gif This is one of the ideas I have for my own Manta - not decided on the final plan though.

Will call for some carefull measuring and jigging, but anything is possible with a bit of care and effort thumbsup.gif