Project back on track

After months of inactivity it looks like my black coupe is having the cobwebs dusted off it. The illness of the guy doing the welding and paintwork unfortunately coincided with the illness of a close family member and resulted in it sitting in bits since last September!. After months of wondering whether to chuck it all on Ebay I feel the old enthusiasm returning and making plans for when it returns. My welder/painter guy who is well familiar with old clunkers has proudly pronounced parts of the car "as good as new" underneath which is always encouraging isn't it?? Being new to Mantas though I could do with a few pointers.

The interior is all out except the dash and headlining and I want to treat the sunroof (which is already pretty good for a Manta). Does anyone have any pics of what the roof structure looks like and where to squirt the Dinitrol? Can you even get into it from the inside? I am really nervous about removing the headlining as I don't think I will ever get it back how it was. I also want to make sure the drain tubes are clear, and possibly extend the tubes so they don't squirt into the sills. Anybody got an idiots guide??

words good pictures better

OMOC 5885

Life is a waste of Time

Time a waste of Life

Get wasted all the Time

And you'll have the time of your life

Take the front drain tubes out from the a post as they empty into your inner and outer sills, great design adam[B)].

Take your wings off and put the drain tubes through the a post( 10 mm hole) so they empty onto the road ( holes about just below side indicator height works for me)

Blow the tubes through with your compressor.

Don't worry about taking your headlining down, remove the sunroof and look in the sunroof tray, you will see lots and lots of rust, use a scraper or hacksaw blade on a piece of wood to extend it to scrape away ALL ( ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL[;)] ) of the foam that sits between the sunroof tray and the roof. Paint with rust killer and then zinc rich paint and wax ( joe will probably saw bilt hammer something or other! hi joe[:)])

Cheers

Kev

kevinmanconaatbilling-1.jpg

Many A Night Tinkering About

OMOC 4076

Pics? Well it's not very exciting yet, plus I managed to jinx 3 cameras whose batteries gave up the ghost as soon as I started clicking.

Last Christmas;

861413998_3b2371bfd8_o.jpg

860557335_734aaa8bc5_o.jpg

860557023_142acf299f_o.jpg

Last week;

861321564_48555440c6_o.jpg

860463505_3ebe8d7af8_o.jpg

860463171_1b428364a8_o.jpg

860462875_d567df0773_o.jpg

860463793_a96be50f51_o.jpg

It really wasn't as bad as it looks, but unforunately perfectionism is hard to shake off. And welder/painter guy is even worse; he's currently reshaping the front valance that is hidden by the bumper!

Ive just chopped the sunroof housing out of mine and from what i can see as kevin said its the foam causing the rust, its rusty where all the foam between it and the roof is. Theres also a rusty bit at the front edge of the sunroof which i dont think you will get without taking the lining down. that involves taking the windows out though! I have no worries as mine wont be going back in[;)]

quote:Originally posted by Kevin Abbott

Take the front drain tubes out from the a post as they empty into your inner and outer sills, great design adam[B)].

Take your wings off and put the drain tubes through the a post( 10 mm hole) so they empty onto the road ( holes about just below side indicator height works for me)

id="quote">id="quote">

Kev

Can you do this from the inside? I have the interior out but the wings have just been painted and don't want to disturb them.