Stradacabs GTE!

stradacab

Looking good Jim. Are you gonna be Flintstoning that to the meet?!

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

Work has been slow this week, I've had a cracking dose of flu. I've not had a day day off sick in over 5 years but on Wednesday I came home at 4.00, that's how bad I was.

As a result, no welding for 3 days.[:(!]

All done and front wing refitted today - crummy photo sorry.

Jackcomp.jpg

I refitted the fuel lines and marked them but forgot which way they went in the bay. It started briefly then died so I swapped them over and nothing. Swapped back and still dying. I've had probs with the fuel pump relay so I gave it the good old bang with a screwdriver while cranking. Still the same. I hope I've not got dirt in the lines or something.

Decided that I would worry about the non-start when I'm thinking straight so I painted inside the footwell before finishing tonight.

Before I refit it, does anyone know what that big silver box behind the drivers kick panel does?

DOH! [:I]

Forumwheel.jpg

The big silver box behind the kick panel.........its.um.....the main ECu for the injection system, (I dont think you were serious with that comment though) the poor starting might well be due to the relay or as you said not having the fuel pipes on right, the return comes OUT of the injection rail at the regulator end and goes back to the tank.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've not posted for a while but I haven't been idle.

Tackled the biggest and most daunting job, firstly cause I have never fitted a sunroof before, and secondly it takes a lot of bottle to take a grinder and shears to a car that you aren't breaking!!

Dropped the lining, I'll have to modify/add bows cause its designed for a sunroof cassette

roof1.jpg

Carefully ground the lip off at the front so as not to heat damage the paint, spots at the rear and brackets at the side. They say measure twice, cut once. I checked and checked and just as I was about to start cutting I stood back and realised the template was back to front.[:0]

Phew!

roof4.jpg

The next two photos show why the factory roof is such a disaster.

The cassette is sealed to the roof skin with foam, and the roof brace is packed with a piece of cardboard wadding!!(that second photo is the underside of the cut skin with some still clinging on)

roof3.jpg

roof2-1.jpg

Really hard job to find an aftermarket sunroof big enough to go over the rotten panel but here it is. This is such a superb roof, Webasto Topslider spoiler-type and it has a matching grey lining inside so it will really suit the car. Shame the first owner didn't do this instead of choosing the factory-fit sunroof option in 1984.

roof5.jpg

roof6.jpg

I'm going to make up brace for the roof inside to give some extra rigidity (although it probably doesn't need it) and make some clips for the headliner bows.

Forumwheel.jpg

By the time your car comes out of my field it'll either have dissolved or I'll have taken you up on the 'use anything that may be useful' offer [;)]

Top work Jim. Will it be coming to the curry night?

16v conversion anyone? [:D][:D][:D][;)]

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

The roof came off ebay, a lucky find as its new old stock. The roof is still available from your local Webasto dealer though. My dealer charges 395 fitted (non electric). Unfortunatley I think you'll be lucky to find a professional who will want to go through the hassle of taking the old roof out first so it'll probably be self-fit. It took ages cause I didn't rush and its the first one I've done but I wouldn't have a problem doing it again.

The model is Webasto Top Slider Large. It takes about 10mm-15mm either side of the old roof panel so you would cut away all your side rot if your roof isn't too far gone, the rear isn't a problem as it takes loads away.

I was going to change the roof skin on my SR Berlinetta but I'm seriously considering going down this road on that one too.

Forumwheel.jpg

quote:Originally posted by entwistlecymru

By the time your car comes out of my field it'll either have dissolved or I'll have taken you up on the 'use anything that may be useful' offer [;)]

Top work Jim. Will it be coming to the curry night?

16v conversion anyone? [:D][:D][:D][;)]

id="quote">id="quote">

Oi whatchit sonny...your not that far away!

seriously tho, please don't sell, scrap it etc... pretty please[:P][:D] hmmm....must get that lift in the garage pronto...

jef_icon_flossy.gifSouth Wales Rep

jef_icon_flossy.gifOMOC 5643

mantaavvy.jpg

http://www.trackdayninjas.com

http://www.mtb-wales.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I've "finished" the car. It just needs paint, trouble is finding the time between now and Christmas to get it over to my paint man and also the money factor. I've spent it all on another car!

That is one huge sunroof!!

On a brighter note, I've left it out in the rain all week (I can't remember when it wasn't raining) with no dribbles and the footwells are dry too.

The next lot of photo's should be the finished article!!

GTEDone.jpg

Forumwheel.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just in case you were wondering "whatever happened to that GTE James was doing?" here's an update.

With the distraction of the SR, the Ascona, work (bad time to be an estate agent) and baby its been sat on the drive waiting for me to get my arse in gear. Today I got my arse in gear, stripped it down and it's going in Wednesday to the paint shop.

Next time you see this it should all be silver!

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg