Stradacabs GTE!

stradacab

Hi

I hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of Q's here?

When you dropped the head-lining, did you have to remove the front-windscreen? or did you just leave the lining attached? while carrying out the roof repair? (i can't really see from the pictures) Did the lining go back into place ok? or would you suggest a new lining?

I was also worrying about "extra rigidity" but I'm a bit more confident, i won't need any after seeing your fine project

Cheers

Hi Keith, I've posted on your other topic inviting you to call me.

On the hatch you can remove the lining and roll i up towards the windscreen and secure it under the sunvisors, on a coupe its a screen out job, ideally the front one and roll and stow at the c-posts instead.

If you are patient and it isn't too old and crackly you should be able to save the headliner.

I made up my brace bar by cutting the one off the old cassette and repositioning/ welding it.

Give me a bell as there are a couple of "watch out" areas that you need to be careful on not to do damage. Tel no 07976 723477

Didnt think of that, I was going to cobble some sort of cable tie arrangment but didn't really think it through and gave up cause I was paranoid about shutting myself out of the car!!

I took the passenger handle off and popped both the barrells out, hopefully the bodyshop will go to the trouble of undoing the two 10mm nuts and take the handle off in view that the door cards aren't fitted... But then again.........!

Thanks for the tip, I'll use it next time

• 2 months later...

Spent all day yesterday and tonight fitting up.

Nearly done now, I need to fit the decals, waxoyl, paint under the arches and sills, give it a mega clean and wire up the repeaters (cause they were never fitted)

I'm hoping to post the "finished product" photo's at the weekend.

Finished!!

Photo's as promised. I've got a few details to pick up to get it perfect and it needs a full valet to make it gleam.

I'll get it MOT'd next week and I hope to bring it to Billing along with the SR.

Frontcorner.jpg

nearside.jpg

rearcorner.jpg

Side.jpg

• Like 1

When I was married and I needed some car stuff, I used to leave her clothes or make-up catalogues out and the phone close by. After she had phoned up an order she didn't mind me going out for some car bits. Mind you she is now my ex-wife, so don't listen to me

Stunning job on this GTE, it looks better than fresh out of the factory. I appreciate you're going for originality but the manta exhaust tail pipes look like limp dick's and I think a straight replacement back box still counts as original?! Also, how come you've fitted side repeaters to a B-reg? They don't need them and they were fitted as standard to C-reg onwards and not all C-reg cars need them MOT/legally wise. That's certainly not a criticism though, my first manta was a silver A plate GTE and seeing these finished pictures is honestly making me feel nostalgic!

Heh! the replacement wings came off a later car so already had the holes. I thought wiring up repeaters was less work than welding up the holes!

I won't get points deducted at Billing will I?

Nice tip about the wife/catalogue situation, that could be a goer

I still don't fully understand the, what should be simple, rules of the concourse! This would be original but some may say 'no a B-reg manta wouldn't have had side repeaters so it's standard'. Waste of time anyway, there were cars being voted for last year with their bonnets down!?

Out of interest mate what type of paint did the bodyshop use? Cellulose, 2 pack or that water based stuff? and what is the paint colour called (apart from silver )?

Thanks, I've been hearing so many opinions on the use of old skool paint, I'm still confused on what's what, still you can import cellulose from countries like Italy who are supoosed to be following the same rules as the other EU countries but don't, good on 'em.

I must confess your project has got me itching to own a silver GTE hatch again. Irecently learnt that back in the day the GTE hatch cost considerably more than the coupe equivallent, so you could argue the hatches were higher spec.

• 2 years later...