Please help a poor man save his MANTA!

mantadoc

Hello all,

I haven't posted much, not much at all, however I am a member of the club and have attended VBOA meets at billing for the past 5 years. I've had 2 Manta's, a 1979 SR Berlinetta - a beauty which sadly succumbed to rot and my current manta a 1988 Exclusive with 2.0GTE Block and 1.8 running gear.

Ok, here it is - I know you don't get anything in life for free but then again, if you don't ask, you don't know, so I am asking. Please, PLEASE! - If there is anyone out there who would be willing to help restore her to her former glory, I would be most grateful

She's been stood about 2 years now (2 years too long!) while i've been out of the country, now i've returned and she's rotten, not totally and not actually all too bad I don't think. However, I am no expert and would appreciate the knowledge and experience of others. She has been undersealed about 2/3 underneath, the engine bay has also been undersealed. I have a new petrol tank to put in, along with a few other bits and pieces. The engine and box are currently in my garage. The interior is fitted, with the exception of the instrument panel.

I would like to get her solid, any welding and or bodywork sorted and sent away for respray. Any help with ANYTHING would be much, much appreciated.

As I have said, I don't really have much money and cannot repay anybody with anything except my gratitude and the joy of seeing another Manta back on the road!

I am in the Greater Manchester area, Rochdale to be precise. (Not too far from Gary for you owners club members out there

You can reply to this post or catch me on my mobile (07706793511) if you'd like to help.

Once again, thank you for your time reading this and thank you in advance to those who can help!

Cheers!

Jack

1979 SR Berlinetta 2.0

1988 GTE/GTJ conversion

Three things we need to know really to get an idea of what would be involved-

1- obviously what state the Manta is in and by which i mean looking in all the corners and lifting the carpets (front one's least),checking all the way underneath,if you could take photo's of everything that looked like needing work and posted them on this thread then would help enormously.

2-How much can you do yourself,i take it you cant weld repairs in but can you take the Manta apart to get to the parts that need doing? can you you clean up and prep areas that need work?can you paint/finnish any area's of welding (except external bodywork that would need spraying)and re-assemble the car?

3- where would the work be carried out? outside on a driveway? in a garage? if so is there room to walk round the Manta? is there electric power available? what tools/facility's do you have.

With these questioned answered then someone might be able to to help you out.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Hey another Mancunian (well, kind of anyway)! [:D]

OMOC 5885

Life is a waste of Time

Time a waste of Life

Get wasted all the Time

And you'll have the time of your life