Ryans Exclusive project

Robbie

I been toying with this project for a few weeks now as some will have read in the members section and trying to prompt a bet lol.

The last 2 mantas I restored were both modified [^] so I thought I'd have a play with an original one, plus it going to be a B series this time rather than an A so I got a lot of learning to do as I go along the project.

Well heres the starting point, I just hope it gets to the finishing post in a reasonable time scale [:)]

Opel Manta Exclusive

First registered 04/06/1988

Colour Starmist Black

Number 88 on the Exclusive Register

This car has had one owner from new and the owner thought the world of it and if it needed any repairs it promptly got them for most of its life. The work was done on a commercial basis so the car didn't get the loving attention a Manta enthusiast doing the work himself would have bestowed upon it, so it got to far away for the owner over this past 2 years.

Here are some pictures of the car when the car arrived at my house, the car is running and still has a few weeks MOT and some tax. I must admit I'm an A series bloke but the Exclusive does drive like a dream no wonder people still drive them everday.

car%20arrived.JPG

car%20arrived%202.JPG

car%20arrived%203.JPG

car%20arrived.JPG

On first inspection with the car in one piece the following work needed carried out.

1 2 new doors

2 sunroof repair

3 hole at the rear of the drivers side sill inside the arch

4 small crack to drivers side chassis leg

5 Spare tyre well small hole

6 movement in rear axle

7 New lights required

Now as with all Mantas we know its not what you can see its what you cant so as we continue to clean and take the car apart many more rusty issues are likey to rare their ugly heads

A few pics of the engine bay before starting

engine%20bay%20.JPG

engine%20bay%202.JPG

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not to sure about the clean bit it was done underneath with waxoyl at one point on the main part of the floor so its very oily waxy greasy under there, and around the engine bay, nothing a couple of days with a steam hose wont sort out to let me see how good or bad she is under there, slow dirty job to get it all removed but will speed up the cleaning down job, then it should just need another day or 2 with some thinners to get it all nice and clean [:)]

but first whip the engine out so its a lot easier to get the engine bay and tunnel done [^]

Ex%20engine%20out%20.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

The wheels are the wrong colours and the mud flaps are non-original.............thought i would get you moving in the right direction, [;)][:D][:D]

Seriously though it looks a good start point, they are sods for rust above the front jacking points and the bit in the back corner under the rear seat base near the seatbelt bolt gets rather holey too, if you dig out the sealer under the washer bottle it may well show you a rusty seam that can drip water on your foot.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

I'm sure loads of rust will appear from no where Paul , but by the way the wheels aint the wrong colour they are the correct wheels that the car left the show room with, and running uniroyal tyres, [:P]

Mud flaps I never looked at but I guess they have been changed over time will be putting new ones on [:)]

Have the wheel centers for the wheels in the workshop, had the front wheels of to have a look under the arches

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

I thought the same Paul to be honest thats why I checked with the owner at the time, but I knew of another one that come with the silver wheels and it was the starmist black colour as well, I suppose they either put on what the customer wanted or they put on what they had in stock, it's good to see these points flagging up though [:)]

Need a pic of the right mudflaps if anyone has one, can add them to the shopping list [^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

The mudflaps will be either the dealer fitted ones if that dealer had their own printed up (our local dealer Wincanton vauxhall had their own design that were fitted if the customer requested, these were based one the 3 badge dealer sport style with the name below) or they were fitted with the round opel logo style flaps, the car that i sold Jim had 4 opel logo flaps fitted from new, these are quite sought after now in good condition, he may be able to send a pic if you do not know the ones i mean.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Will this make an appearance at Billing next year then?

(could do with less competition if I ever finish my A [:D] )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

not the same class Hugh lol, just doing it to do something different and pass the winters nights, I'm in no rush with it now if its done for next year thats fine but if its not I won't worry need to have the car done and going by may if it was to get to billing as our mot centers take up to 8 weeks to get a date [:(]. Most likely 2009 it will be done, but lets see how it comes along.

As long as there are loads of cars people and beer at Billing I'm well happy ooooooooooo and sunshine [:D]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

As long as there are loads of cars people and beer at Billing I'm well happy ooooooooooo and sunshine [:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

And whisky. Don't forget the whisky! [:D][xx(]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

No.

The ones you want are the ones that the opel logo badge is a separate badge held on by two of those little star washers. the flaps are the same as the vauxhall ones of the era but the badges are obviously different. i have used vauxhall astra ones before and swopped the badges.

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

Wheels were definitely silver on the starmist exclusive. As far as I remember it was the only one, the monaco blues, white, and red ones all had the anthracite finish. suspect Opel thought black on black a bit too much!

carsmall1.jpg

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard membership no: 3783

"its all going flat cap and walking stick instead of Rally jacket and bottle of beer....."

I managed to get a set of the correct ones;

IMG_1332comp.jpg

And here they are fitted to the car

IMG_1337comp.jpg

IMG_1354comp.jpg

Hope that helps

Carl[:D]

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1988 GTE Exclusive Coupe - E862BAO

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpge862bao1.jpge862bao2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

Cheers Mr Carlos all i need now is ur address to call round some dark night [:D]

That one thing sorted then just need to wait on a pair poping up unless someone has a pair they want to sell [:)]

I decided I could not wait any longer to see behind the wings of the car so I thought it best to remove the wings hmmmmmmm thats not a 5 min job easy bit was running the air ratchet down the wings and unbolting the top screws

kick panel of and 2 side screws out plus the one at the top of the door then the one underneath.

The last few are more fun lol, lights out both sides to get the ones in there, then front bumper off.

you would think that would be enough, nope side skirts have to come off, undone screws along the bottom but the 2 inside the rear quarter panel aint so easy, sad sod that unblotled front seats to make life easier, then removed the rear seat, undone part of the seat belts and removed the rear quarter cards both sides, just to get 2 bloody nuts off [:D]

well that sure is a simple way of removing the wings [B)]

Then its time to recover with a good measure of JD and coke and enjoy the creative work of Mr Tin Worm, he is a bit of a Shhite u know [:D]

front%20seats%20out%20.JPG

ex%20ds%20a%20post.JPG

Drivers side A post is bad there is nothing at the bottom of it but the picture doesnt really show it , at the top is gone the piece covering part of it is just sitting there

ex%20ds%20inner%20wing%20fr.JPG

Joint from inner wing to the nose cone is pretty good and the nose cone itself is almost perfect

ex%20ps%20inner%20wing%20.JPG

On the passenger side some iffy repairs have been done in the past and at the bottom of the A post there is nothing there, will get a few pics up later of the bottoms

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Oh dear - that's not too good Robbie, no problem for a man of your skills though [:0]

I was really pleasantly surprised when I did the same thing on mine after I bought it.......

IMG_1326comp.jpg

IMG_1327comp.jpg

IMG_1329comp.jpg

You don't need to undo all that kit from the side of the car to get the front wing off, just undo the front two bolts and the wing will slide out from behind it (see my pic)

Carl[:D]

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1988 GTE Exclusive Coupe - E862BAO

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpge862bao1.jpge862bao2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

I sorta knew its wasnt brill in there hence i couldnt wait to get the wings of just to see how big a job it was going to be, will be fun getting it all shaped up and formed again but will be fun.

I know what you mean about the side skirts but they had to come of anyways so just kept going [:D]

My missus says I'm never happy till I have undone every nut and bolt, She said to me tonight, I thought u were not going to start this one to the winter [:P]

got more steam hosing to do now on the car to get the crap cleaned of and then underneath it for a few days with thinners to get any residue of that will keep me and Ryan busy this week [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Robbie, i am not surprised you found that lot under the wings, ALL mine have been like that including the one i bought when it was only 6 years old !!

the upper A pillar is typical repair panels are available from Germany, look for Ascona B ones they are the same and folk dont seem to realise it, Also the last list i got from Greece had these bits listed might be worth contacting Anthony.

The mud flaps pictured are exactly the right ones by the way, if i had any to sell i would mate.

[:)]

xrffrontpluswheel.jpg

I was hoping that new covers could be got for the A Pillars paul, had a look through Dr Manta last night and couldnt find any. Can pop Anthony of an email [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706