Ryans Exclusive project

Robbie

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right lol and the tin snakes wernt the only ones to be at the car, some snakey commerical repair artist was at it too. [:(!]

I wasn't happy with the sills when I first put my hand down the rear quarter, could feel all sorts of crap, and with some corrosion in the rear arch at the end of the sill, I made the hole a bit bigger and got the torch in only to see piles of crap. I had the feeling the plonker that welded the new sills on just slapped them over the old ones so I decided to rip the new outer sills off to see what was underneath.

Ex%20ds%20sill%20rear.JPG

with the new outer sill removed this is what some ******** left on the car and welded the new sill over, and yes the door is shot lol

Ex%20ds%20sill.JPG

the view of the old sill

Ex%20pa%20sill%20rust.JPG

when the good sill was taken of the ps this is what fell out !

Ex%20ps%20end%20of%20sill.JPG

Ex%20ps%20front%20of%20sill.JPG

not a lot at the end of the sill something not right there

Ex%20ps%20inner%20sill%20rust.JPG

The inner sill on the PS isnt to good here not is the join from the brace the seat belt is attached to.

Ex%20ps%20inner%20sill.JPG

Good new is that the inner sill is good once the 2 outer sills were removed

Ex%20ps%20sill%20rear%20.JPG

This was the org sill on the car once the new sill was removed on the passenger side, again I just shook my head wondering why anyone would of left that on the car.

Ex%20sill%20crap.JPG

Well this is a pic of one sill removed and the org sill to the left and all the crap that come with them.

Well there is no point on taking on a dead easy project [:D]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand icon_smile.gif

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Nothing a tin of P40 and some Waxoyl won't sort there Robbie!

Now, here's a thing. Can a car be classed as 'original' if it's fitted with pattern repair panels (eg Dr Manta parts)?

(Joe exits quickly, stage left.)

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

There is something quite relaxing about looking at somebody elses rust.

Standard patch up mot work looks to have been done for a long time on that car Robbie, glad to see it being done correctly now it's in your capable hands mate.

Kev

kevinmanconaatbilling-1.jpg

Many A Night Tinkering About

OMOC 4076

You know, I reckon if robbie ever buys a manta that turns out to be rust free he's gonna have a sulk.

In fact, I reckon he deliberately turns down solid ones.

Nowt like a good challenge, eh? [;)][:P]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

quote:Originally posted by Joe

Nothing a tin of P40 and some Waxoyl won't sort there Robbie!

Now, here's a thing. Can a car be classed as 'original' if it's fitted with pattern repair panels (eg Dr Manta parts)?

id="quote">id="quote">

Thats a good and valid point Joe and its some of the questions that should be asked hence why I took this project on in the way I have. Now from my understanding of the club rules if a part wasnt made or no longer available from GM its fine to put it on the car and that keeps them original in our eyes. If you take original to the limit any car that has been resprayed wont be original as I would guess no one used the same make of paint as GM. or look at it this way GM never used waxoyl / Bilthamber so if u add it is ur car original.

quote:Originally posted by Kevin Abbott

There is something quite relaxing about looking at somebody elses rust.

Standard patch up mot work looks to have been done for a long time on that car Robbie, glad to see it being done correctly now it's in your capable hands mate.

Kev

id="quote">id="quote">

Your right Kev I think we do get a Buzz out of looking at and removing dodgy work and rust, and repairing them so they wont need done for a long time to come [^]

Cheers Devil [:)] Shug no point taking apart a good car and apart from that its quite hard to find a car that doesnt need work done on the mainland never mind here, most people that have a solid car don't sell them.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Not a lot to take pics of at the moment myself and the young lad martin just spent the last 7 hrs under the car with thinners and rags to get the last of the grease and crap of, hope to have the underneath and the 4 arches done by the end of the weekend, then the fun can start tackling the rust [:D]

Just looking through the pics so far on the pc and found a couple I was looking for last night but couldnt find isnt that always the way and we do like pics, but no naket ladys I don't want moderated by Joe [:D]

This was the way the new sill was joined to the car, I found that out when I dug the cup wire brush into it to find the join, it soon removed all the isopon [:(!]

Ex%20sill%20on%20ds.JPG

you can see the inner sill had a few holes,

Ex%20ds%20inner%20sill.JPG

The inner sill was chopped well above the rust to get a good view of the inside, that was the moment I knew the sills were coming of

to get rid of the bluff work to get in to repair the damage that was left

Ex%20ds%20inner%20sill%202.JPG

Heres the engine bay before it got steam hosed, jus the normal grease and gunge that needs removed

Ex%20engine%20bay%20before%20hosing.JPG

engine%20bay%20before%20hosing%202.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

I ought to post a picure of my anthracite 1.8 coupé on the skip lorry going off to be scrapped, complete with all the mud flaps you need, the 1.8 axle nicely in place etc etc.[:(]

Luckily, it's not on my PC so I can't.

Hindsight eh.

Talking of originality Robbie, as you have an Exclusive, have you located a source of slightly rusty cheap eastern European steel sheet, complete with inclusions, to make up the patch panels you'll need....[:o)][:D]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

Heck you took this on then Robbie, not been on the forum much lately.

Rear sills look quite good to me, still a reasonable amount of material left in there for you to work from/to. got used to doing very good repairs in this area due to years of various B / C ownership.

A pillars look to be the biggest bast, along with the curve at the bottom where the wing mounts onto the A pillar/Sill area. BUT I may have a bit of a solution for you there, there are Vauxhalls around that have used the same curve/pattern/shape that could be cut it to be help replace this area, this should allow (if done well) nice neat correct mounting of the wing to sill area.

If I get 5 mins today I shall check that what i think may be suitable actually is and will email you a couple of pics off.

Finally ............

Simply can't believe that none of the regular forum anoraks weren't at hand to say ....... "Starmist black Exclusive never had the Anthracite Exclusive alloys" they were all fitted with Silver alloys, as d818anr says Opel quite possibly thoughttoo much black.

Finally II

I 'd lose the mudflaps anyway bit too flat cap for me, [:D][:D]

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

The question is robbie, are you finding it harder to restore to original than to restore to modified? [}:)]

[:P]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

There is no word in Gaelic that can possibly convey the same level of urgency as the spanish word mañana

robbie, when you get the sunroof sorted, run the drain pipes at the front out through the sills, (STUIPID OPEL) why did they leave a water nose inside a metal void!!

might not be original, but it will keep the inside of your sills dry!

Keep up the work,

forgot to say the wiper arm comes out as one piece, bracket plus the two two bits that your wipers attach to!

quote:Originally posted by Shug

The question is robbie, are you finding it harder to restore to original than to restore to modified? [}:)]

[:P]

id="quote">id="quote">

[:D] Well at this stage both original and modified should be exactly the same as both require the shells to be restored properly.

Modified is more time consuming and complicated if you have to do modifications to allow an engine, gearbox or a different type axle to be fitted ie irs axle to be fitted. Thens there is body kits if you modifying. [:D]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

Heck you took this on then Robbie, not been on the forum much lately.

Rear sills look quite good to me, still a reasonable amount of material left in there for you to work from/to. got used to doing very good repairs in this area due to years of various B / C ownership.

A pillars look to be the biggest bast, along with the curve at the bottom where the wing mounts onto the A pillar/Sill area. BUT I may have a bit of a solution for you there, there are Vauxhalls around that have used the same curve/pattern/shape that could be cut it to be help replace this area, this should allow (if done well) nice neat correct mounting of the wing to sill area.

If I get 5 mins today I shall check that what i think may be suitable actually is and will email you a couple of pics off.

id="quote">id="quote">

Your right Clive the rear parts of the sills still have enought there to cut back on and weld in new pieces, As for the A posts I was thinking along the same lines only using the another manta as the donor for the bits, been checking Dr Manta and a few places cant seem to find replacement covers, guess they didnt make them.

Not being a B series expert one of the reasons I got the car was because the guy never tampered with it much so mostly everything on it should be pretty original, gives me a better chance to find out what is right and wrong.

Joe u threw out the mudflaps ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [:(] I dunno about that eastern european steel though could always use some scrap manta steel [:D]

Matt the sunroof pipes will be lengthened a bit I dont think anyone would mind that bit being lengthened I dont want water in there again, Have the wiper arm mechanism out of the car now [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

Finally II

I 'd lose the mudflaps anyway bit too flat cap for me, [:D][:D]

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

id="quote">id="quote">

Know what you mean, I have them on the GTE but removed the front ones when I took off the wings, the car looks so much better without them. Looks like the back ones will be getting removed as well.[:D]

David OMOC Member 420

http://www.mantamad.co.uk

sig%20gte.jpg

lol these mudflaps don't seem to go down that well on the cars, but I'm putting them on as the car come with them at the time checked witht he last owner who bought it new. [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

This cleaning lark of the underneath is a dirty job lol, must of used about 3 gallans of thinners so far and a mountain of rags [:D], on the bright side its coming along nicely, will be so much nicer to work on once its finished. [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706