Cavalier Coupé

MantaMad

Picked her up yesterday, after being excited about it all week [:D]

Looks solid, it's just cosmetically scruffy more than anything else. Choke's sticking too, so it needs that sorted for an MOT.

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

And one with my SportsHatch in the background!

DSC00772.jpg

'81 Cavalier 1600 GLS SportsHatch

Soon to have '77 Cavalier 1900 coupé

quote:Originally posted by stradacab

Whereabouts was it in Iron acton spiney norman?

Forumwheel.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

Came from a place called Backfield Farm, little collection of workshops and storage units and the like, just outside Iron Acton itself.

'77 Cavalier 1900 GLS coupé

Hi folks, was watching that one on ebay very closely, hoped it would be my first vauxhall cavalier,, dont mena to pry but how much did it lighten your wallet ?? in the end ??

Webasto sunroofs havn't any structure except a bar across the front,a mechanism pulls the this bar thight against the front of the sunroof opening and so pulls the skin of the sunroof tight against the roof.

The great thing about these is there is no frame under the roof skin,no drain pipes and hence no roof rot!

Nice Cavalier by the way Spinney,have you got the nose badge?,know someone who might have one.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

wity: Set me back £200 mate.

And yes, it's a Webasto. Don't know if they were offered as optional extras from the factory at all? It's tatty around the edges of it but it looks like it's just surface rust with several coats of (very bad) paint over it.

My Dad's had Rover P6s with full length Webastos, they were great!

Not sure on the nose badge yet either, it didn't come with the car but I've got a feeling I've got one lying around somewhere... Still, if you know someone who's got one let me know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been driving it long enough now to notice all the niggly little problems, so I've sorted a couple out this afternoon. It's now got a decent indicator stalk, as the one that was on it wouldn't click properly to hold the main beams on. I've fitted a nice leather Mountney steering wheel as well, a bargain at £7. I'd post pictures but it's dark out there!

Where abouts in the country are you?

Can't believe you can rescue a Cav Coupe and get it through and MOT so easily! [:P]

Yes the webasto sunroof was an option on the cars, I have a mate with one. I think the frame for it is wooden so you might need to get it fully refurbed.

What is the black stuff on the door bottoms? are they sound?

Fantastic buy[:)]

Yes I will restore them dear. No you can't have the garage for your new freezer!

quote:Originally posted by CavCoupe

Where abouts in the country are you?

Can't believe you can rescue a Cav Coupe and get it through and MOT so easily! [:P]

Yes the webasto sunroof was an option on the cars, I have a mate with one. I think the frame for it is wooden so you might need to get it fully refurbed.

What is the black stuff on the door bottoms? are they sound?

Fantastic buy[:)]

Yes I will restore them dear. No you can't have the garage for your new freezer!

id="quote">id="quote">

Based in South Wales, currently going between Swansea and Cardiff. I got lucky with it, it seemed sound so I made an offer and the guy accepted.

The black stuff around the bottom's just matt black paint that some pleb sprayed on at some point long before I bought it, and it's now peeling off, looking lovely and patchy. The door bottoms aren't exactly sound, but I've got a couple of spares to put on once I've got the cash to get the car resprayed properly.

• 3 months later...

Been a few months since I updated this one, so here goes.

All's been well apart from a few minor issues recently. Throttle cable snapped a while back, and the carb's off a Pinto engine so it's got the wrong linkage for the Vauxhall cable... one bodge later, involving cable ties, it worked again and has continued to for a couple of months.

My horn push wiring caught fire the other day too, so I've removed the fuse for the horn for the time being, until I've got some time to investigate properly.

Biggest worry recently though, as some of you may know, was that my car was treated to a bit of mindless violence at the hands of a hammer weilding loon. It's all sorted now though, so I'd like to say thankyou to everyone who helped me track down replacement glass, Martin for actually providing the glass, and Chris (entwistlecymru) for a few hours this afternoon fitting it. Cheers guys, I owe you some drinks at Billing!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Singleton show in Swansea with a couple of bargains... Haynes manual for £2 and a set of 5 rostyles. Alright, they've got knackered tyres but they've got the 4 chrome rings to go round the outside, complete with all the clips, in virtually new condition. Bargain at £30, and means I've got a set of wheels to strip down and repaint properly without worrying about getting them back onto the car to be able to drive it.

Also been given some information on a guy in Swansea that does vinyl sunroofs, hoods, that sort of thing, and retrims interiors, so I'll be looking him up at some point in the future since my seats are all faded and split and horrible.

• 2 months later...

The proper work has now begun. Well, I say proper work, what I mean by that is that now I'm not relying on it as my daily driver for a while and since I had a free afternoon today I've started taking things off.

Seats are all out, but the screws that go through the floor that hold the runners are all seized solid, and I've got a feeling I may end up drilling them out. Still, I've got all that nasty wet soundproofing stuff out, hacked most of the black stuff off the floor with a screwdriver it was so wet. The driver's footwell's looking like it's going to need some work, there's a couple of holes along the seam where it meets the bulkhead that I can see the ground through and the bits where the U-shaped clamps that hold the front of the seat down bolt through the floor look knackered on both sides. The bits of the rear arches I can see from inside the car with the rear quarter cards off look seriously crunchy too...

So the fun begins! Next up, sorting the tunnel out for the 5 speed box...