Gary F's 400r V8

finally the V8 is ready for its MOT, its started off as a 6 month project and became a two year project.

firstly this car started as a GTj coupe, the previous owner (to me)cut and shut the engine bay and fitted a fully rebuilt Rover V8 with a few modifications.

I thought well what the hell the car has been cut up so might as well alter the body so a 400 wide arch kit was fitted.

The car has been i a dusty garage for ages just sitting there waiting for me to finish it, but hey the wife started shouting at me and as usual she wins and I worked on the house instead of the car.

I got a chance to work on the car this week as I have been off (the wife dropped our first sprog) so I got board of watching her feed the baby and went to work on the car.

The car is booked in for a thursday afternoon MOT after a little fettling/setting up of the carbs. Once there's an MOT on the car it then go's back to the spray shop for a few touch ups and then to another workshop to have its perspex screens made up.

Then once all that is done unfortunately the car is going up for sale. Again the wife has won and with a new baby funds are tight.

I will keep you posted.

Gary 5687

tidy job of the rear arch's mate![;)]

cheap manta wanted! 07780 937 045

photo6009.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

As I have said befor its not really an issue about the car namely the wife has spoken and she must be obeyed or I end up sleeping in the spair room.

Just heard back from the garage the beast is running and they are unable to MOT the vehicle without its perspex windows in. I cant get the frames for the windows made untill the car is drivable on the road this is a catch 22 situation.

My theory is retrievethe car without MOT drive it to the window makers and hope for the best? I mean whats the worst that could happen, arrested for no insurance no MOT , no tax, pah its only minor points on a licence, I just hope its not more than 6 or I'm banned....

Gary

If you are taking it to a place of repair for work required for the MOT you can drive it there.

On another note, I think the club should be looking at getting some manta-fit baby seats designed. Then the wimmen folk have no reason to demand our mantas go! [;)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

mcrae.jpg

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi, India

Quit whining and shift yer **** - Shug, Edinburgh

That's right, your MOT testers having a laugh mate and careful with the no insurance thing as you could get 6 points for that and a manta V8 is a bit noticeable. Mind you at least you have plenty of power for a good cop chase! Wooo hoooooo!

Lovely looking Manta from the outside this must be the first manta coupe with no spoiler I like the look of as I think all (face-lift or GTE kitted) mantas B's should have them, this has changed my mind! But WTF happened to the engine bay? Who put the brake servo there? Don't get me wrong, it all looks better fitted than my first attempt but with an outside appearence as good as this you'd expect some engine dressing.

newbana.jpg

CHECKOUT MY V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

You need to be Really carefull over the no insurance.

If stopped you WILL have the car seized there and then!!

You will ONLY get it back once you produce MOT AND INSURANCE details within 2 weeks,and as you won't be able to get mot 'cos car is impounded, YOU WILL LOSE IT !

Def not worth the risk.

Andy

Member 6094

Gary's a copper so he'll probably worm his way out of it. Jammy git

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

Sorry for the delay there have been a few questions and advice I will try and answer them in this one reply.

I spoke with the MOT man and apparently as the car originally had side windows and as there are frames around the window then there needs to be a window fitted for an MOT. I suggested cutting the roof off then thought again.... I brought up the Westfield and Seven debate re no screens and he went off on one...

I really like the Idea of a manta child seat.

Sorry about not reading the emails sent but I have been dealing with the screaming child of mine, she screams from the time she is awake to the time I manage to get her to sleep, my wife is playing on the "I had a C section and the nurse said I need my rest", and when not running around after her and the child my wife wants things done around the house. Do they not understand I have a car to get MOT'd I don’t care about the broken drain pipe, or the overgrown trees.

Cheers everyone about the advice and I agree a trailer/ car carrier would be of benefit and the funny thing is I do actually have one however my mate has it in his garage and again as with everything mechanical it also needs slight repair/finishing off.

The car will be offers around £3k.

It will be fully MOT'd,

fully rebuilt V8,

fiberglass doors, bonnet and body kit(wings),

Perspex windows on new door frames,

brand new revolutions wheels and tyres,

Fully stripped of all excess weight (sound deadening, door cards, roof lining, etc etc.)all excess material weighs around the 80kg,

freshly painted car,

and some other spares like two rover V8 Manifolds, K&N filter and carbs, and all other general Manta bits and bobs.

The brake servo was already fitted in its position when I brought the car and as they say if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. I am now going to listen to that advice and learn. No more 400 kit fitting ever.

Gary

MOT tester sounds like an idiot. Ask him what exactly they could fail on were they fitted? - better still avoid the hassle and get somebody else to test it - maybe one of the people who collect your car and then deliver it back - They would be able to drive it as long as they have trade plates.

1980 GT/J 2.0 SEH Road Car (soon to be 16V)

1978 Berlinetta 16V Rally car Project.

quote:Originally posted by Mantastic

MOT tester sounds like an idiot

id="quote">id="quote">

That's because he is an idiot. How do people like this be allowed to become testers when they don't seem to have a clue about what they're looking at? I too, would suggest taking it to a decent MOT testing station and avoid this silly sod..

That's a lot of car for £3K but it's a bit out of my price range. Hopefully a club member will buy it as it'd be nice to see some more V8 mantas in the flesh.

newbana.jpg

The V8 lives and I just heard back from the garage and they seem to say that the manta is solid underneath and seems that they were wrong about the windows.... they are running the manta throught he MOT test now and shall call back shortly with a result.

Time for one last blast/ manta meet befor a sale.

There has been some interest for this car over the pond. I would prefer to keep the car in gods land (wales) but england would do.

will update shortly

Gary

quote:Originally posted by Gary5687

but england would do.

id="quote">id="quote">

[:D] My thoughts on my next holiday

Glad to hear you sorted out those so called MOT testers, they're certainly very testing! I imagine they fail convertibles for having no roof [:D]

I hope whoever buys it is local to me so I can sniff around for some ideas for my V8 and look at how the engine, gearbox is mounted, propshaft length, clutch setup (is it hydraulic or cable?) and I've just got to see what's happening with the brake servo, it either remote or it had one very long pin[:D]. Very nice looking car you've sorted there Gary, hope you sell it without a hitch, now hurry up with that housework![;)]

newbana.jpg

ia amazed and bewilded, fantastic car, cant believe its only 3k compared to rust buckets that people are selling for 1500, how much of a pain was it fitting the kit am thinking of doing the same for upcoming project ??? where abouts in wales are u