My manta transformation

Manta Nut

Hi All,

My manta has been off the road for about a year now and I am getting withdrawal symptoms.

Missed Billing 2007 and will be missing Billing 2008 as I will be getting married (should have checked the dates first), am moving house and loosing the garage temporarily.

So I thought what could I do to the car next. Those of you, who know me, know that I like to do things differently.

I needed the car to be away for a while so I brought some bits and shipped it off to a mates body shop (saved on storage costs) and got some work done.

Here are some photos of my manta at Billing 2006

P7100014.jpg

P7100028.jpg

P1016305.jpg

P1016316.jpg

And some now:

P6160057.jpg

P6160062.jpg

P6160063.jpg

PB030059.jpg

PB030058.jpg

PB030062.jpg

PB030064.jpg

Been at the body shop for 7 months. Should be sprayed soon!!!

Then just the TV/DVD systems, wheels and new engine mods to go. At least l have until Billing 2009 to finish the car and build a house!!

(Sittingbourne, Kent)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car,...... I've liked the look of hatch with the kit i240/400 fitted, since Mickappy (i240) kitted his hatch.

How hard is it to fit the Mk3 Cavailer dash and electrics. I quite like it even though I will probably stick with the original.

Rob

robah at btinternet dot com

(Nr, Inverness)

Thanks for all the comments. Looked great before it went to the body shop but now I am not too sure the insurers would pay £5000 for it?

400 kits look great. Had to sort the filler cap as this sits lower on a hatch than the coupe it is intended for.

Kit is a pain in the Ar** to fit. It’s been off more than on and only got bonded on this week after 6 months of fitting, cutting, filling, shaping etc.

The dash took a month to fit a couple of years ago. Was never happy where it sat in relation to the gear stick. So it is now in the process of being moved further towards the screen (more cutting and shaping).

Also have fitted the adjustable steering column and all the dash switches, dials, indicator stalk, washer stalk and heater controls. From memory I had to solder about 150 wires by connecting the manta wiring to the cavalier it came from. Probably would not try doing it again as it was a major rewire?

Roy probably will sell the wheels, you are right they are fox 6, with 215 17" tyres and some spacers for the correct offset. Need the wheels at present for a rolling shell. Don’t think the standard wheels would fit as I have willwood callipers on the front.

Will update shortly with more photos.

(Sittingbourne, Kent)

You'll not be needing that black front splitter anymore then? Will that be for sale or can you reveal what its from originally and how well it fits. Those white front indicators wont be any use either then also i assume.[;)]

Looks good, nice to see someone who likes working on their car.

Many Thanks

PIC_0675-1.jpgfall1.jpg

1986 C STEEL GREY GT/E HATCH - LINCOLN LN6

quote:original posted by Manta Nut

Thanks for all the comments. Looked great before it went to the body shop

id="quote">id="quote">

If you mean by before the bodykit, then I have to agree with that aswell [:)] [:)]

Rob

robah at btinternet dot com

(Nr, Inverness)

This one looked very cool last time I saw it at Billing last year and looked like a lot of work was put into it. Obviously a labour of love as you're doing it all again! We'll look forward to Billing 2009 then [8D]

Building a house will seem easy work compared to that bodykit I'm sure [:D]

newbana.jpg

CHECKOUT MY V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

Quarter-life-crisis:

The front bumper is presently hanging in my garage. I will be looking to sell off the whole bumper as the splitter is fixed to it with about 40 screws. I have also glued a trim between the splitter and the bumper to tidy it up. Think it came from a Seat. I had to extend it to fit the bumpers profile correctly, which took ages.

If you won't to PM me a offer and pick it up, as I will be loosing the garage before Christmas. (Moving)

Roy:

Wheels will be available around January time. Car has only driven about 200 miles on them (billing a couple of times) so are brand new with no wear on them. Think they cost about £650 so PM me an offer.

Anyone won't to buy my custom rear boot spoiler (think the ends got mashed), as I will be going this time for a smooth back end!!!!

PB030063.jpg

PB030061.jpg

I will post more pic's next week

(Sittingbourne, Kent)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s been a while since I last updated this post, so here are some more photos.

Car now has paint on it, which was being flattened and cut when I turned up. then the polish will really bring out the colour.

Just waiting for the trimmer to put in the new headlining in, refit all the panels, glass, interior and trim, and then it’s off to Simon P.

05012008131.jpg

05012008133.jpg

05012008132.jpg

05012008134.jpg

05012008130.jpg

(Sittingbourne, Kent)

• 2 weeks later...

Adi (manta nut) delivered the new (GM) engine to me this week, i've stripped for inspection and it will be going back together soon with some nice "additions" not sure if i can say what it is yet though. All i can say is there is ALOT of pipework involved and a rather large intercooler!!.

Suffolk County Mantas. Engine conversions,Customs,

Full restorations, paintwork. http://www.suffolkcountymantas.co.uk call 07720 288928]

5zf8won.jpg

Just an update.

Roof micro blistered so has been taken back to bare metal again. Appears to have had a reaction. Brian (spray shop man) was not happy and did not won't it to go without redoing the whole roof again.

Car will then be sent to Simon P for the 16v engine to be removed and a new gm engine put back in with some unusual modifications, which have not been done before!

(Sittingbourne, Kent)

Car is now going back together. Its funny when you find bits of the car you forgot you had? More wiring to do and more polishing.

New headlining to be fitted this Saturday.

Will soon be with you Simon. unfortunately just found out my pending house move is happening in a weeks time, so won't be able to spend as much time on the car as I thought.

26012008212.jpg

26012008210.jpg

26012008211.jpg

(Sittingbourne, Kent)