My long term project

Devil Fish

Hi Mantray,at last,someone else with a never ending project.Keep going mate,you CAN do it! Mines only 10 years in March!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those wheels are the dogs mate,not usually a fan of 18's on a manta,but they do look good.

ps,who's is the black one Paul?

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

The black one was mine too. Bought in the hope of having both a modified and a standard B. Trouble is it was way too rusty for me, so I sold it back to the guy I bought it off and even he couldn't do much with it. Shame really, as I have never seen another black B coupe.

Thanks for the encouragement. Had the car itself since 1988. Met my wife in it. Brought my first born home in it. The only member of the family who has not been in it on the road is my daughter and I have promised her that one day she will get a ride. She loves the car!

The satin black came about because I needed to get some paint on it and couldn't afford a proper full respray. Have to finish it off some time!!

Scary thing is, I may be applying for a new job, which means more travelling. Unfortunately the V6 Calibra is a bit thirsty, so a diesel is in order. Not selling the Cali or the Manta so, the possibility is that the Manta might end up with, (gulp) a diesel engine[V]

Lets hope it doesn't come to that!

It has been done before someone put a 1.7 turbo deisel engine in out of an Astra.

Mind you would you really want to put a Diesel engine in your Manta.[?]

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj

Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

omoc 5285

Based in Leek near to Alton Towers.

Strangely enough Mesh , Ive been toying with that very idea [:0]

The amount of torque these modern new fangled diesle engines

turn out is surprising : However , Seeing as the engines in my Manta's are running fine at present ,

This will not be happening .

but a turbo diesle Vectra/Astra/Omega transplant could be

a possible option in the future .

Now , Don't all line up ready to shoot me !

Betty.....[}:)]

I've often thought that the 1,7 diesel fitted to a 4 door mk1 cav would make an excellent daily driver[8D]. I take it its the DTL GM engine that you need? would the Isuzu 1.7 diesel from the astracav fit as I know where theres a good un[:D]?

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

that was one quick car[:P] here is a good reason for a diesel engine [:0]

quote:Originally posted by bettyswallox

Talking about diesel's: Did you see the BMW 530d whizzing around Silverstone on Top-Gear this evening [?]

4rse on one door & P3nis on tother [:D]

Its amazing how far a tank of 'Home-Grown' diesel goes,

With just a little help from the Stig [:P]

Betty........[:o)]

id="quote">id="quote">

16v monaco blue manta coupe

E862BOA

E850LRV monaco blue coupe

IN SUNNY manchester

quote:Originally posted by midasmesh

Mantaray80 look what you've started now, Manta owners thinking about economy.[:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

Oops sorry!

Compared to what I used to get in the Manta my V6 Calibra is economical!!

The engine I have in mind is the 2.0 Di lump in my wifes Vectra. Old, slow and horrible. But it runs! I'm sure I could coax a few more ponies out of it with an intercooler etc. If I could get a newer diseasel engine it would be easier to swallow the idea....

Just out of interest, those who have or are thinking about it, what gearbox would you use?

There is also a CIH Turbo Diesel....

Late Carltons had a 2.3L CIH diesel engine like the old one in my Bedford but turbo charged (incidently i think it was this stronger block they used for the basis of the 400 engine)

It also begs the the question - is there a bolt on manifold,pipe work etc that could be the start of turbocharging a petrol CIH engine....

Modern Turbo diesel engine are not a backward step in car tuning,i have a friend with a newish Astra estate turbo diesel,its 150 bhp,does 45 mpg being thrashed in sports mode and nearly 60 mpg driven carefully.

This car shifts,150 bhp is 150bhp whether its coming from a petrol engine or an oil burner,the diesel probably has more torque,compared to a seventies Manta,put the mpg figure the other way around,you'll go amost twice as far on a tank full of diesel which means effectively half price fuel and when you want to stick your right boot in there is all but double the horsepower,thats having your cake and eating it!

I think if i was going to go Diesel i'd be looking at a modern common rail type,provided the associated electrics aint too complicated and the bell housing pattern fits a Manta gearbox.this generation of Diesel have the power of petrol engines with excellent fuel economy and as a daily use car would make a great combination in a Manta,stylish rear wheel drive vehical with high performance and good fuel economy,sounds like a winning combination.

Nice to another B getting back on the road,not sure about the bonnet scoop,not my thing but i do like the wheels alot.you must have had serious bother making your Manta 5 stud

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

quote:Originally posted by MANTAMAN

There is also a CIH Turbo Diesel....

Late Carltons had a 2.3L CIH diesel engine like the old one in my Bedford but turbo charged (incidently i think it was this stronger block they used for the basis of the 400 engine)

It also begs the the question - is there a bolt on manifold,pipe work etc that could be the start of turbocharging a petrol CIH engine....

Modern Turbo diesel engine are not a backward step in car tuning,i have a friend with a newish Astra estate turbo diesel,its 150 bhp,does 45 mpg being thrashed in sports mode and nearly 60 mpg driven carefully.

This car shifts,150 bhp is 150bhp whether its coming from a petrol engine or an oil burner,the diesel probably has more torque,compared to a seventies Manta,put the mpg figure the other way around,you'll go amost twice as far on a tank full of diesel which means effectively half price fuel and when you want to stick your right boot in there is all but double the horsepower,thats having your cake and eating it!

I think if i was going to go Diesel i'd be looking at a modern common rail type,provided the associated electrics aint too complicated and the bell housing pattern fits a Manta gearbox.this generation of Diesel have the power of petrol engines with excellent fuel economy and as a daily use car would make a great combination in a Manta,stylish rear wheel drive vehical with high performance and good fuel economy,sounds like a winning combination.

Nice to another B getting back on the road,not sure about the bonnet scoop,not my thing but i do like the wheels alot.you must have had serious bother making your Manta 5 stud

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

OMOC Member number 2658F

id="quote">id="quote">

I wish I could afford a modrn diesel to drop into it, that would be ideal.

Isn't the Frontera 2.3 td a CIH?

The bonnet scoop is there because I love american muscle cars and its my homage to them.

I haven't converted to 5 stud. The wheels were just placed against the car to see if they would clear the arches, which they did. Been trying to design a 5 stud adapter with little success, unless I go up to Porsche size PCDs.

Could do with a 1.8 gearbox if you have one.....[:)]

Dont know about the Frontera engine but its likely that it was the 2.3L CIH Turbo,i have no idea what power they were or what sort of fuel economy they delivered,in other words whether it would be worth putting one in a Manta.

As i said the bonnet scoop is a personal taste thing,Clives V8 B Series had a bonnet scoop and that car was spot on.

Somewhere on this forum is disscusions/methods of how to go five stud,perhaps one of the more clever readers of this can work the search facillity and put up a link.

1.8 Gearbox's? i wish i had a pile of them,i'd make a fortune! there are some that come up for sale,put a wanted add on this forum stating that it's for this project (perhaps with a link) so as us Manta people know its not going to a frod scrotem,also keep an eye on flea-bay they do come up on there.

OMOC Member number 2658F