1976 B series coupe

Sutty2006

I thought id better make this a "my projects" topic rather than carry it on in general discussion.

For those that dont know, i rescued this 1976 B series coupe (registration MRM 22P) from a front garden in the depths of Crackley in Stoke on Trent. Lets face it, I wouldnt leave ANYTHING sitting there even an old manta!

So, updates i hear you cry! Well, I took the drivers seat out today. No seized bolts at all. Wierd. I removed the carpet from the drivers side foot well to find...... Everything. As it should be! I cant believe that all the original sound proofing and horrid plastic/rubber crap still intact on the floor. My first thought was the floor below had escaped from benieth, but on further inspection underneith i found chassis legs and jacking points. Odd, these cars dont seem to come with any. Ok, so the floors solid...so far...

Theres a LOT of surface rust on the inside. The drivers side window has been previously put through and has beared years of wet winter days and nights, through rain and snow etc etc etc.

I can peacefully say the back seats have HAD it. Theres been some small creature making a home in the fome (hey that ryhmes) so that needs to be BINED. I'l post up a picture when i find the offender!

Ive yet to bail the water out of the passengers side rear footwell. I may do that next time im up at the garage as it gets mighty cold up there.

I may be plodding on with this over christmas, so watch out for updates.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

We'll look forward to further instalments Steve.

And club members will be able to read about it in Manta Magic soon too, as Steve has kindly written a short article for the mag which as we speak is on its way to California. Thank you Sir!

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

Sutty,i can't believe that you have a picture which contains elements of...........rust,and that Joe has followd on your post,and NOT mentioned that bloody rust treatment lol - sorry Joe,just taking the p a bit mate.

But can't believe that floor tbh,you'd think with the window smashed and the insides open to god knows what,you have a floor like a tea bag!!But the ones that know of old manta folk law have always said the earlier cars were built better and with better metal.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

Hi Rick, are you still after an early 'B' mate (i don't have one btw)?? Have you tried emailing MANTAMAN (Mr.Virco) he has quite a stash of cars i believe,he may be able to help you mate.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

Get a blowtorch on that floor - melt the plastic stuff off and you'll find all the rust you've ever dreamed of.......

Carl[:D]

Located in Sunny Wigan Lancashire

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

I might leave the plastic on. I have been in this exact situation before. If the floor is ok underneith then that under the plastic should be intact. I may drill a sample off hahaha! It sounds quite solid too. I gave the floor a good "whack" all over and it all sounds good! [:P]

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

SP_A0218.jpg

Recovery work taken. Email for more details

Don't be daft - I never ever leave that plastic on!

Look at it like this - when water gets underneath that stuff it rots the floor out. You know that floor has been wet. If the floor is already on it's way then you need to take off the black stuff to mend it. If it's not I GUARANTEE you there is water trapped underneath that goo which will rot the floor out in time. Remove it now & save the floor.

It's a total no brainer and takes an hour with a blow torch & scraper.

Carl[:D]

Located in Sunny Wigan Lancashire

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

Have to agree with MrCarlos, take it off Sutty as they say its better to be safe than sorry and will save you alot of time and money in the future.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj

Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

omoc 5285

Based in Leek near to Alton Towers.

quote:Originally posted by pma

Hi Rick, are you still after an early 'B' mate (i don't have one btw)?? Have you tried emailing MANTAMAN (Mr.Virco) he has quite a stash of cars i believe,he may be able to help you mate.

id="quote">id="quote">Sorry to hijack this Sutty.

Yes I had a quick chat with Ian on the phone the other day. I may have the rotten roofed, smashed in rear b-series as his other one is gone, but I should really be sticking to my guns by having a good shell to start with.

If I do get it Sutty, I'll have a full 1.9 engine, box, interior and trim going spare [;)]

newbana.jpg

CHECKOUT MY V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

• 2 weeks later...

Well, been badgering away with the coupe today. Started to remove the front axle, only hick-up is the chassis bolts are well and truely "in" the chassis. Nuts came off fine.

Also been inspecting the chassis rails. Only slight work needed to the o/s and even less on the N/s

03012008319.jpg

03012008318.jpg

03012008317.jpg

03012008316.jpg

03012008315.jpg

03012008314.jpg

Also got the n/s door open, managed to bar the latch from the gaping big hole in the side. Took up most of the plastic crap to find needs repairs to one of the seat bolt anchors, and plating at the front. Not too bad i say!

03012008320.jpg

03012008321.jpg

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

SP_A0218.jpg

Recovery work taken. Email for more details

Looks like a lot is really good and clean but bursting from inside in other places, must have been the lay up in that garden thats caused it to fester like that. Bet it was bloody solid before it was laid up.

Yes I will restore them dear. No you can't have the garage for your new freezer!

• 1 month later...

I am now leaving this project for the time being.

Its getting pushed into a corner and forgotten about, unless someone offers me a sensible price and takes it off me.

Ive lost interest in everything (even the will live at times) so i will be making the effort to finish the red hatch to run it. I might have some time and money on my hands after...

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

mnta2.jpgMRM22P5.jpg

I need to think about the future. I know it sounds odd but im 20 now, im sick of living at home with my parents and dont have the cash to move out. I own 3 cars now and part own a van at the same time. Why do i need 3.5 cars? And im constantly on ebay looking for something else to SQUEEZE into my garage. (which has now stopped)

Ive also got so many bits and bobs lying about that i'l never use or sell as theyre worthless.

I was talking to the lass i work with today. She said you'll get problems doing this job all day long 6 days a week then going home and doing the exact same thing in every spare minute i have (and never acheive anything in the process)

My heads f**ked, i think the head ache i keep getting has something to do with it. Oh well, onwards and upwards so they say [:(]

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

mnta2.jpgMRM22P5.jpg

I hope you won't mind this comment Steve, but if you keep getting headaches, get to the doctors and sort out what it is.

For what it's worth, I used to get bad headaches if I didn't drink loads of strong coffee so I weaned myself onto de-caff and they went away. Drinking lots of water helps too. And an eye test - straining to see sometimes makes my nut ache.

I know what you mean about too many cars though. It's so tempting to look for more, but each one takes so much time to restore when it comes down to it that I think you're just being sensible.

Cheers,

Joe.

OMOC 3348.

Keeper of the OMOC B Series Register.

Please log into this site from the Home page. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

Ive thought about going to the doctors because i go dissy round the same time too. Maybe i just work myself too hard (dont laugh please) it could happen. Cant remember the last full day off i had to just "rest"

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

mnta2.jpgMRM22P5.jpg

Been there, done it Sutty, Get yourself checked out like Joe says and then work with the results and if the doc says take a break then LISTEN to him/her and do it. As for the motors, yeah I do the same,7 at the moment, f*ckin` insane I can only drive one at a time, and I forgot to include the bike and the van, sheee-it !!!!

Got a stupid flu bug at Christmas and it floored me for 3 and a bit weeks, and got told by doc to take a break,so first holiday in 4 years coming up.

Never a good time to take a break when your self employed but if you dont lay down you will fall down. Your health comes first Sutty, the rest can follow . . . .

All the best, Colin.[:o)]

O.M.O.C.6016 in the Scottish Borders

QUOTE ME HAPPY . . . . .IT`S A SPORTSHATCH !!!!!!!!!!

`78 Cavvy 1.9 4-dr(mint),`80 Sporthatch 2.? (rapid), `94 Senny 24v (thirsty)

Jings mate, didn't know things were that bad. You take care of yourself. If you want me to make a start on that welding let me know. You might feel a bit better about the car if you can see some progress being made. Give me a bell and we'll sort summat out.

Publicity Officer

Frustrated rock legend

polishing-services@hotmail.co.uk

i know it can get a bit much just doin spanners as a job then workin on your own car on weekends.

have you thought about taking a year out? next year or the year after i'm gonna go to canada to work for a year, just as a change!

don't sell the coupe, if you do you will regret it when prices go sky high! if you have somewhere dry to store it its better than money in the bank[;)]

location: north wales. McRae tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSu-D1W2wA

exclusive003.jpg000_0076_edited.jpg

colintribute.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely but rather to skid in sideways beer in hand, chocolate in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "What a Ride!"

quote:Originally posted by Sutty2006

I need to think about the future. I know it sounds odd but im 20 now, im sick of living at home with my parents and dont have the cash to move out. I own 3 cars now and part own a van at the same time. Why do i need 3.5 cars? And im constantly on ebay looking for something else to SQUEEZE into my garage. (which has now stopped)

Ive also got so many bits and bobs lying about that i'l never use or sell as theyre worthless.

I was talking to the lass i work with today. She said you'll get problems doing this job all day long 6 days a week then going home and doing the exact same thing in every spare minute i have (and never acheive anything in the process)

My heads f**ked, i think the head ache i keep getting has something to do with it. Oh well, onwards and upwards so they say [:(]

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081

mnta2.jpgMRM22P5.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

That's exactly what I went through last summer when I sold off my Coupe, Hatch and all the parts I had collected. Funny thing now is I also work on cars all day and I hate the damn things (though it's usually nearly new Audis, BMWs and such ). Recently emptied the last of the junk boxed in room and it felt great.

I'm saving for a car but I honestly don't know if I really really want one. Could use the money if I ecape my parents house. Could also use the money if decide to actually get off my ass and see about moving to Autralia......

I'll be 27 in April, incidentally.

OMOC 5885

thrimz02_avatar.jpg