1976 B series coupe

Sutty2006

More done on this today. 

2 new ignition switches arrived. Both work, but good to have a spare. Opened them up and cleaned/regreased contacts. Fitted and tested continuity first. All good. Then attempted crank, engine turns over on the key. Happy days. 

• Like 1

Also did a compression test on all 4 cylinders. 150psi exact on all 4 cylinders. bonus. Happy with that. 

also wired up the electronic ignition side. Found an ignition feed black wire in the loom and sent it into the power feed to the ignition module and boom, spark at the plugs. Just need to get fuel in it now and it “should” run! 

• Like 4

Had to ditch the early clocks. A little bit gutted really as I like the simplicity of the early clocks. But alas. I was in bed the other night thinking about world peace and why my ignition didn’t light up……. The loom I fitted to this car was from a 1978 auto berlinetta. Which had the 6 dial clocks. Luckily I had a set up my unit, in pretty decent condition too. Chucked that in and bingo, ignition lights up. And now I’ve fitted a decent ignition switch it turns over on the key. Happy with that. Until something else rears it’s ugly face. 

original 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

and later. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Original has 70k, later clocks 77k. Not a huge difference but I’m going to swap the mileage barrels over anyway. 

• Like 1

So I wanted to keep the original cars mileage. The 7k difference between clocks wasn’t much but I wanted it right, so I stripped both sets to see if I could swap the tachos over.

Nope. They’re slightly different, earlier one is slightly deeper.

So I pulled the later one apart and stuck my battery drill on the end of it and took the mileage back to the same as the original. Then proceeded to brake the needle off.

and with the needle not wanting to come off either tachos, I just had to stick it back together and pray it holds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday was a milestone day. New fuel pipe from the pump to carb. Then pump to fuel can in the bay. Eventually fired up after pumping the fuel all the way up. Happy with that! Had my work apprentice with me, learning how to bugger about with carbs, and petrol systems. he enjoys the extra learning.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Yesterday was a milestone day. New fuel pipe from the pump to carb. Then pump to fuel can in the bay. Eventually fired up after pumping the fuel all the way up. Happy with that! Had my work apprentice with me, learning how to bugger about with carbs, and petrol systems. he enjoys the extra learning.

Good stuff. Always better when they’re running 

• Like 1

Some small jobs achieved last night. Clocks fitted and all connected up. Rev counter works and oil pressure light goes out when it fires. Haven’t been able to get it running perfect yet, just haven had time. 

fitted the reconditioned radiator and top hose. Secured the fuel pipe too. 

took the fuel tank out to have it cleaned and tested for leaks. All the breather pipes are pretty much shot. So they’ll get changed soon. 

• Like 3

Last night found another NOS Walker exhaust back box, identical to the Walker one I’ve got fitted to the centre box! Winner. 

also took the tank out. There’s a thick layer of treacle at the bottom so I’m going to jet wash that out today. 

mmmm treacle 

• Confused 1

Changed the breather pipes on the tank. Got 2m first time round but after making the t piece didn’t have enough to go all the way round and have enough to exit the car. So walked back to Autohose of Milton (who I get all my pipes and hoses from) who exchanged the length I had left for a piece a foot longer. Free of charge. Great guys up there. 

• Like 3

Nah it’s fairly relaxed there, and there’s plenty of length left on it so I can adjust when I get it back from cleaning. I’ll measure it for you when I get chance. The plastic t piece is fairly strong, compared to the old breather pipe that literally turned to dust. I had to sweep the remains up! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed a few hours yesterday on this. Tidied up some wiring, cleaned up the coil and applied some fresh heat sink to the modulator as recommended on here. Got the rear lights to work including hazards. Won’t check brake lights until there’s fluid in the system. 

im going to get everything fitted and working, then I can just pull bits off to get painted. 

then found the seatbelts in the front have been cut out. Luckily I saved some from a berlinetta hatch years ago.

then found some more rust around both rear seatbelt mounts, but it doesn’t have or need belts. So I left them out. Kept them just in case, as the wife has said she wants belts in the back….. great. Lap belts? 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Not done a lot on this recently. Getting my driving license back seemed to slow productivity down. Had an hour on it tonight. Got my powder coated early rocker cover back (had to clean all the bloody sand out of it though!) and got it fitted with new gasket. 

found a vacuum advance pipe. Fitted that too, and some heater pipes donated by someone doing an engine conversion. 

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Quick update on this. 

I brought the car home. Now I have a decent garage to work in. To get it running and driving I need to run a main fuel pipe from tank to pump. Adjust the clutch on fork side. Bleed the brakes up. This should get it moving under its own steam. 

• Like 4