1976 B series coupe

Sutty2006

6 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

I can never remomber this but aren't they M9 or someting? If so, might be a good time to make them M10!

No they are m10 already, The inlet/exh to cylinder head are M9 on the CIH

• Like 2

While I’ve got sharp drill bits at home, thought best to get them drilled before I take it to work tomorrow. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

then found a brand new oil pump cover on the shelf. So why not fit it! Gasket had baked itself to the alloy casing so that took some getting off. checked oil pump drive while it was all apart, cleaned and refitted. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Luckily the rest stayed put, and was finger tight to remove. Lucky. Just need to source a new bolt. 

then finished drilling the down pipe bolts. Tried heat and stud extractors but they didn’t work. So I drilled and tapped them out. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Lucky indeed, if it had been me it would have 3 snapped drill bits in it 🤣

I only snapped one today. That’ll teach me for buying cheap Chinese drills off the 10 quid tool guy. My best drills are at home! 

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

I only snapped one today. That’ll teach me for buying cheap Chinese drills off the 10 quid tool guy. My best drills are at home! 

At least you know those are supposed to be disposable, it's when you ping those expensive hss ones 😬 

haha yeah very much so!

I have some 10.9 bolts to go in, but i think the 16mm washer head caps wont clear the down pipe, so i need to get my down pipe back from the unit to check before I order stainless ones. Got a brand new old stock down pipe up the unit, genuine GM. Forgot I had it until the other day!.

Also, new clutch inbound. Which means I can get this engine in soon!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrCarlos said:

Thats not right for a b series !

Nope! I think this gearbox came out of a shuvvit. Thinking back, the 2.0CIH it was bolted to also came out of a shuvvit! I’ve pulled the cross member off my spare 1.8 box, need to hunt my unit for a 4 speed rubber block now just in case I have one hiding. 

Done a small amount in the engine today. Engine mount brackets painted. 

also been looking into the carbs. Turns out my 1.8 Weber might fit? But the carb I’ve taken off is in fact a Weber! Now, which is better? 32/34 DMTL, or a 32/36 DGV? 

the 32/34 came off a 1.8 ohc, the 32/36 unknown but came with this engine? Which is better? 

46 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

The 32/36 is the tiniest margin better, but not that you will notice. Only issue would be jets for correct afr mate

I find carbs weird. That 1.8 carb ran a big valve head SRI 130 2.0 engine all the way up to 124hp. Which I think was brilliant. I’m going to get a rebuild kit for the DGV, I’ve another nut and lock washer on the way. 😊

• Like 1