1976 B series coupe

Sutty2006

I knew this would end in tears. 

stripping the carb was going well. Various parts removed, cleaned, o rings replaced etc. Until I got to the power valve, which is seized solid. Couldn’t get the float pin out either. So it looks like this carb is getting expensive. I’ve ordered another power valve. I hope the floats don’t leak. They’re another 40 quid on top. Won’t be long until it meets the same value as a new carb! 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

May as well carry on though. 

took the needle valve assembly off, compared it with the one that’s in. 2.00, brilliant.

Got that stuck in. Managed to get the float off without breaking it, yay. So I’ve put that in petrol for an hour or so. See if it draws any fluid in. If it does, a new float is required. 

no that’s not my piss. It’s 12 month old mower petrol. 😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Try putting in some coke my dissolve the curd of 

The floats don’t leak. Nothing inside them. Great news. 

used the remaining petrol to clean the crud off it. And that’s that. Can’t go further until the new power valve arrives.

• Like 1

Well that was quick, new power valve arrived today. And I’ve put it in place, I’ll finish the rebuild next week when I’m off work. Fingers crossed there’s nothing else broken or seized a in there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finished rebuilding the carb. Gave the choke flaps a good clean first though. And test fitted it to the manifold. Will have to come back off as it has 2 bakalite spacers so I need a few extra gaskets. 

59 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Great pics, and basic working function off a carb, do you know anywhere to gets bits if needed, gaskets, powervalves, jets. 

Ordered carb rebuild kit off Webcon, to make sure I got the correct stuff. Was about 60 quid once they added £7.50 for postage 🙄. Webcon wanted £35 for a power valve, eBay £20 posted for a genuine. So had to try and save a bit on that one. 

• Like 1

It’s been a monumental day today. I don’t know how long it’s been since this car had an engine in it. Minimum 13 years, maximum 31 years. Who knows. But after all this time it now has a 2.0 sat in the engine bay. My friend borrowed his dads car and trailer and we got the engine up to my unit tonight. And proceeded to get it chucked in. Not before putting the repainted sump in place with a new gasket kit. Tomorrow evening the wife will be taking me up to the unit so I can get the gearbox fitted. 

then used the discovery to winch it up onto overly large ramps. 

• Like 9

A little more done today but unfortunately no pictures. 

propshaft on

gearbox filled with oil

manifolds on

genuine GM down pipe on

carb on

rotor arm n dizzy cap on

plugs n leads all on. 

found a wiper linkage up the loft, then found a nos wiper motor in the boot! Happy days. 

• Like 4

Today’s miserable episode of the lengthy resto project, I’ve successfully stripped and cleaned the wiper linkage. Rebuilt and attempted to fit the new wiper motor. Had to tap the holes in the motor as there were no threads in it! Once motor fitted, set up a quick test in the vice with a 12v battery and some wire. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So after a few weeks of being busy I finally made it up to my unit. 

1- fitted throttle linkage. 

2- fitted clutch cable

3- filled with oil

4-fitted ignition switch

now, the ignition switch is an interesting one. I freed the barrel off with gt85 as it was pretty well seized. But I think the bit in the black plug part got stuck when I went to crank position with the battery connected and melted the switch. So that’s buggered. 

but not to fear. It does turn over very well with the plugs removed to get some oil round it. 

can anyone tell me where the main engine earth goes to? I found the chassis hole, but the cable is too short to reach the engine.... so I’ve bolted it to the mount for now. 

9 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Sutty, Europeen Manta's have the earthstrip from the swanneck to the engine block where the gearbox is screwed. So  Edelschmiede's strip fits not on UK cars.

I’m finding that with a lot of parts recently. Bought main battery cable too only to realise that it’ll be for a left hooker and the battery is on the other side. Really need to be more careful ordering parts from them. 

Carl. Cheers, I’ll just manage with this one now. It’s doing it’s job where it is so it can stay there lol.