Joe's 1975 B coupé

laz

I got home from work this afternoon and found this in my back garden:

DSC02383.jpg

It's not good enough, people dumping old cars on other people's patios....[:(!][8D]

Joking apart, a sense of guilt at starting the new B Series Register just at the time that I'd got rid of my B, coupled with the cash for the said B sitting idly in the bank, led to a bit of an impulse purchase last Friday and it was delivered first thing today.

It's the 1976 P reg 1600 auto that was on eBay for the last month as a classified ad. It seemed pretty good when I went to see it last week but it's a Manta so it will no doubt reveal some hidden "amusements" once I get to look at it properly. The chassis rails do need some work but I've seen much worse. Oh, and the head gasket has gone too (so it came somewhat cheaper than advertised) but I've already got a new gasket set for it. And I got home to find it's got a puncture too.

If the delightful weather we're having abates tomorrow, I'll try to post some more photos then.

Yes, this IS the car with '26 8 75' stamped on its l/h chassis rail so I will confess to a vested interest in finding out if any earlier ones are left.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

Hi Joe,

I hope you are going to keep it as it was born, Far too many rare early cars get modified, looks realy nice[:P], would be nice to see it at Billing.

Yes I will restore them dear. No you can't have the garage for your new freezer!

Thanks folks. If it gets modified, it will be nothing that isn't 100% reversible to enable it to be returned to original.

As to the chassis leg date Stradacab, I refer you to my first post, above.[;)]

So, the burning question. Is it the oldest B left (by chassis number, not registration date)?

The number is 5965026426.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

An auto?

Surely you want to be getting a 4 speed manual box for that bad boy [;)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

mcrae.jpg

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi, India

Quit whining and shift yer **** - Shug, Edinburgh

Right, a few more photies:

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02394.jpg

And those date stamps:

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

Having had a better look round, the n/s rear arch has been replaced leaving the ragged edge of the inner wing unrepaired. That's going to be a tricky one to sort out. The o/s chassis rail is not too clever, but could be worse, the o/s rear seatbelt mount is missing and filled with fibreglass matting and there are a few odds and ends of rust to have a go at.

But overall, it's really not bad at all considering it's at least 32 years old. There's MoT until July 8th too (I wish it was until a week later for Billing though).

Cheers,

Joe.

Must say i'm in the opinion of keeping it origanal and to be honest i think Joe will be aswell.

But everyone to their own.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj

Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

omoc 5285

Based in Leek near to Alton Towers.

Would a 400 kit cover the dodgy arch Joe?[:D][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Only kidding, I'd keep it original(ish) myself, I couldn't be having with the auto so I'd change that.

Shee looks a good one Joe and i love the colour. Has the engine bay been sprayed? If not its in great order!

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Great to see you today Joe, that 'B' really is very nice. Can't believe how good that interior looks. A very nice 'straight' car.

I think a few will be kicking themselves for missing it.

I don't think too many will complain if you fit a manual box & 1900 CIH in it. From what I remember the 1600 was a bit of a struggle - especially with an auto box.

I'm also after a decent piece of trim (the under-the-headlights strip) to replace my dented one - so if you happen to have a spare one (even chrome can be resprayed) can you email me - ta.

GB in Leicestershire

OMOC 5655

Manta4asig.jpg

Thanks folks. As I've said elsewhere, it won't be modified in any way that isn't completely reversible (if at all), so fear not.

It's had a new nosecone fitted at some point (which is a good thing from a rust point of view), and both front wings are also new and genuine GM parts too. The odd rear wheel isn't from the car as both the wheel fitted when it arrived and the spare have punctures.

I think quite a lot of it's been sprayed Mark. It's probably only the roof, pillars and boot lid that are still in the factory paint. It's called Signal Blue (L224) incidentally and I don't think I've ever seen another Manta that colour in the flesh.

It's been a good day today, with George and then Mick H visiting to inspect the car. And the the engines on the Vulcan must have been being tested too as there was a hell of a racket coming from Bruntingthorpe this afternoon. Most pleasant.[8D]

I must get the head gasket sorted soon so I can take "NOOP" for a spin. But the hatch needs to be finished first. This is the project for when that's done.

Incidentally, Nick Webb has pointed out with the dates I've found that the car is actually an A Series....[:D]

Cheers,

Joe.

Seems to be a good B series Joe, kinda surprised at you getting it though after selling the others cars to get a good A series, [^]

Hope it gives you plenty of fun and enjoyment.

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Thanks Robbie. I think having the two project As made me realise just how much work was involved (as you've always said) to restore them to decent condition, possibly beyond my current abilities, and as I've still got so much stuff for the Bs here it made some kind of sense to get another.

It's intended to be my next project for when the hatch is done and Angie liked the colour too. There are so few good Bs about now, it was fairly local, the price was reasonable and I am supposed to be the B Series Registrar so I just couldn't resist having a look at it. I held out for over three weeks after it was advertised and only gave in and contacted the seller on Christmas Eve, which wasn't bad going for me.

It's funny, I've been lying in bed this morning wondering exactly why I bought it when I wanted an A, but sometimes trying to be coldly rational about old cars is the road to mental turmoil.[:I]

It should make a good article for the mag anyhow.

One thing did puzzle me though. A non-sunroof coupé, in good condition with some MoT, not too expensive. Why was it still for sale after nearly a month and not taking a sea journey in a vaguely westerly direction?[;)]

Cheers,

Joe.

Never mind over here I'm surprised it wasnt sold to a club member on your side a lot sooner, It was prob for sale at the wrong time Joe, xmas maybe isnt the best time for people to be buying more toys. Think things have also slowed down a bit and with the cost of living going out through the roof people are holding onto their money a bit more now.

It seems a cracking motor and I'm sure you will fix the odd bit here and there and it will be on the road for a long time to come, I like the colour as well [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Chrisb,was thinking exactly the same thing,those old rostyles look the dogs with the black quarters painted in and the chrome rings on.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

Yes, it was one of your Chris. Talk about good timing. I was stuck with a car with two flat tyres and having yours saved my bacon. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Joe.

I've just received information from Louis Van Steen in Holland about the car and he has confirmed that it was made on October the 2nd 1975.[:0]

I suspect this will make it one of the earliest Bs left in the UK, if not the earliest bearing in mind they only went on sale on September the 24th 1975.

So the big question. Does anyone with an early B have a chassis number the last five digits of which are less than 26426?

I'm rather stunned by this at the moment, but a huge thank you to Louis and Nick Webb for all their help in finding out the information for me.

Cheers,

Joe.

So how do you work the date out? Is is part of the chassis number?

Being a bit sad last night and using the DVLA site I put in the reg number of the road test manta KRK 548P which was registered 1/8/75. But I put in all the digits before found the following:

The vehicle details for KRK 548P are:

Date of Liability 01 11 1988

Date of First Registration 01 08 1975

Year of Manufacture 1975

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1897CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BLUE

The vehicle details for KRK 547P are:

Date of Liability 01 06 1992

Year of Manufacture 1975

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1584CC

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour WHITE

Vehicle Type Approval null

The vehicle details for KRK 546P are:

Date of Liability 01 07 1990

Year of Manufacture 1975

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour YELLOW

The vehicle details for KRK 545P are:

Date of Liability 01 06 1983

Year of Manufacture 1975

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1584CC

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour GREEN

Vehicle Type Approval null

The vehicle details for KRK 544P are:

Date of Liability 01 10 1985

Year of Manufacture 1975

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour RED

The vehicle details for KRK 540P are:

Date of Liability 01 07 1983

Date of First Registration 07 08 1975

Year of Manufacture 1975

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour BLUE

The vehicle details for KRK 539P are:

Date of Liability 01 07 1984

Date of First Registration 07 08 1975

Year of Manufacture 1975

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Colour GREENid="blue">

Judging by the 1897cc engine sizes and dates (1st to 7th Aug 75) these were all new Manta's.

Yes I will restore them dear. No you can't have the garage for your new freezer!