1981 2.2 B series UUM 203W

Joe

I swapped this baby:

100_1782.jpg

with Mick last summer, in place of my 16v mk1 Cavalier. It was my daily driver until one fateful night in December when the clutch went pop. Seeing as the box was fubar and I wasn't happy with the engine I thought I'd go for an engine upgrade. Enter Paulmanta and stradacab, convincing me I needed a 2.2 which was conveniently stuck in a rusty Carlton at the opposite end of the country to me.

So I dragged this:

c88c_1.jpg

home and will shortly start to take the engine out for UUM.

Other mods to UUM are:

Usual carb-to-EFI mods

Polybushes all round

1800 axle

Carlton 2.2 discs with Brembo calipers

Wheels will either be 16" Borbet A or 6x13" Alleycats.

Lowered 40mm on Spax springs with KYB gas dampers

Brown GT/E interior

Rubbing strips removed and full respray in original turquoise

Choice of chin spoiler - GM, Irmscher or Kamei. Dunno which though!

The interior is out and I'll be doing the welding needed this weekend. So far I've found the front and rear scuttles are holed, small hole above the windscreen, lower rear arches/sills, inner wing/front panel joint and probably other bits and bobs.

If I finish all that this weekend I'll be prepping the car for spraying in the evenings next week, taking the engine out then etch priming the car (including underbonnet, shuts and boot) next weekend.

The weekend after that will be spent putting the top coat on (weather permitting) and then the refit starts in time for March 24th - the first show of the South Wales Section season. WOOHOO!

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

The Carlton Restoration And Preservation Society will have your guts for garters there!

Before they do though, perhaps you can send me all the details of your coupé for the B Series Register.[;)]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

I did think of doing it silver but you're right, it is a nice colour! Same colour as my other B

I've got 2 Bs Joe. Will get the full details tonight and forward them to you.

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

• 2 weeks later...

Got next to nothing done this weekend [:(] Spent a couple of hours getting the filler out of the rear arches which are, surprise surprise, a bit rotten! Luckily I've got the panels in my stores so they're ready to go on.

The old grubby doors are off and Spiney Norman dropped off some shiny white ones to replace them. The wings weren't hiding anything really nasty as most of it has been repaired (very well) before. I've welded in the mounts for the 2.2 airbox and header tank and re-attached the nose cone behind the headlamps. The rear screen surround is done but the front scuttle is a fappin' nightmare - I may need a complete scuttle panel to do it properly.

I know this is all very boring without pics but I'll get them off my phone and post later!

Some very blurry phone pics:

29012008199.jpg

The N/S sill is totally shot from the B post back. Inner sill fell apart, the inner Apost bits were like doilies and the outer was crusty too. I finished that off last night (my first sill replacement [:P] ) so tomorrow night it's on to the inner and outer N/S arch which look something like this:

29012008195.jpg

29012008193.jpg

I'll be rolling the arches and re-making the inner arch so that it meets the outer without a lip

This is the reason I got wet feet:

18012008168.jpg

Thankfully Mr Newport has a new panel for me.

Typical 'B' series scuttle panel.

Generally all you will see is a bit of rust creeping out from beneath the screen rubber, but as soon as removing the screen rubber the bloody scuttle panel comes with it.

It's the inner rear arches that I always find an absolute bast to do, on my V8 I kept making up small Stainless profiles as good as I could get them and welding these in place bit by bit, it was too damn difficult to make a full length profile on the inner arch that would fit nice and tight.

All looks so damn familiar on those pics, this was how the my V8 started life, so there's a bit of support for you mate.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk