God I hate re-build time!

spewy555

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, having done a year in the woods it was begining to look a bit tatty and due to it having the new axle and engine, I thought I might as well do the rest again! Hope not to have to do quite as much next year!

Now about that reinforcement...

Started on the front end now, removed the normal type bias pedal box and replaced it with the floor mounted type, which also accomodates the hydraulic clutch system which is now fitted into the bellhousing. What with the Corsa power steering coloum being in the way, there wasn`t enough space for the normal type box to be used. Only difficuty I had was having to move the seat further back, which now means I have to get another steering wheel with a deeper dish... and put a false floor in to raise my heels up a bit...one expense after another!

13042008190.jpg

13042008187.jpg

Oh and got the rear windows back in!

13042008189.jpg

To be honest Robbie, unless you are going to want to use a hydraulic clutch with a bias pedal box you don`t have to change anything, I had it all in with the Rally design pedal box with no problems at all, even less mucking about if you used the standard type pedal box. :thumbup

I don`t think it took more than about 3 hrs of cutting and joining the Corsa coloum into the Manta one, wiring up etc. It took longer for me to work out there was a micro switch in the steering ecu which trips once you mount the ecu verticaly on the nice bracket I spent an hour making!

Hey up Andy,

I reckon you have far too much time on your hands, failing that your good lady has kicked you out!!

What did you use for the hydraulic clutch?

I am now looking at which cams I can get at the right price to go in my 24v/16v head.

As for the Corsa steering you can use the whole column and retro fit/wire the stalks from the corsa or calibra,takes a bit of fannying around but saves welding the columns together.

Steve

Long time no speak Steve!

I used the carrier and bearing that Rally design sell now , which I`m sure is the same as the Burtons one. It bolts straight into the Duratec bellhousing, so for a change it was quite simple! I`m post up a pic tomorrow. Just want to get out now, but the engines still being built

Will you have to have the cams made?

Cat Cams do one off the shelf to whatever profile you require, but expensive.

Pete at Jondel is talking with Kent to see if they have a 16v profile they can use as a cheaper alternative.

Next out on the Somerset and hopefully the Jim Clark after that.

Steve

Andy have you any pics of the way the steering column is fitted to the manta at the top of the column, and what way did you join it to the manta rack as I was told the corsa one was to short and had to be joined to the manta one to gett he length

I used the Corsa flexible shaft throught the bulkhead in a nylon bush which then fitted onto the Manta shaft from the rack,very straight forward and easy to do.

Andy have you any pics of the way the steering column is fitted to the manta at the top of the column, and what way did you join it to the manta rack as I was told the corsa one was to short and had to be joined to the manta one to gett he length

I used the non adjustable type, just make sure it comes complete with the bottom coupling and the ECU, whichever one you get. The good thing now is that the wiring adaptor kits for the ecu are a lot cheaper than when I got mine it was the best part of £350 from harry hockley`s, I`ve seen them on ebay now for about £50 or £60 new nowadays!

Hi Andy,

Noticed you have the column the opposite way round to mine,I have the motor to the right which allowed me to stay with the normal bias pedal box, although my fuses all sit on the passenger side in relays and switches now as the standard fusebox(as we know can be tempermental!!) But it frees up a lot of space.

£200 from Protec for my adapter when I got mine,

where are they on Ebay for that sort of money, be worth carrying a spare in my van.Had to change my main ECU the other week as the steering kept going from light to heavy and chattering when standing with engine ticking over.

Bought the complete column inc steering wheel and ecu for £100 from my local salvage yard, so keep the spare column on the van as well.As we all know if you aint got it, you can't fix it!!

I used the non adjustable type, just make sure it comes complete with the bottom coupling and the ECU, whichever one you get. The good thing now is that the wiring adaptor kits for the ecu are a lot cheaper than when I got mine it was the best part of £350 from harry hockley`s, I`ve seen them on ebay now for about £50 or £60 new nowadays!