Opel Manta GTE Exclusive Project update 21/09/2008

Suzy

Have to say after losing heart yesterday with the whole thing after discovering my engine was from an older car and poss not converted to unleaded, tonight has cheered me up no end.

Had a good look at the block tonight and from look of things has recently been rebuilt(and well) so no need at all to even consider removing the bottom end. Looked at bores properly and they still have the marks where they were honed last time so can't have had much use since was last done and the pistons have no side to side movement either

Have cleaned up couple of the valves to and they appear to be the hardened valves suitable for unleaded I'm assuming they where fitted during rebuild, and will be fine cleaned up so not got to buy a new set.

Also jacked her up and had good look underneath and hit a few areas with a hammer[:D] and it would appear to be a lot more solid than I was expecting. She was also zeibarted at some point which has obviously helped. Although until she stripped down obviously could still be some nasty surprises in store. (pics attached)

Managed to sort indicator prob to so they all working.

Removed a redundant fuel pump the had just had the pipes cut and rerouted to an electric pump.

Also have painted the block so she looking very pretty now!!!!!

dsc01074xy0.jpg.

NS Wheelarch

dsc01056wv1.jpg

NS Chassis rail

dsc01057eo2.jpg

NS Sill

dsc01059vm8.jpg

OS Wheelarch

dsc01061oi9.jpg

OS Chassis rail

dsc01063tw8.jpg

OS Sill

dsc01067ag5.jpg

Suz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a little rust going on but nothing that looks too bad at the moment, Once you strip it down and get the grinder out it might look a bit worse but you are about to fix it anyway so why worry ?

Dont forget to put the little rubber o ring in the headgasket at the front of the block when you replace the head, if its left out then the water leaks from the waterways and into the oil or even out of the head.

you can strip hydraulic lifters to clean them out and un stick them, might be worth it if you are doubtful as to the life they have had and looking at the inside of the rocker cover i would say its not had frequent oil changes.

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

Your not the only one Suzy having trouble with Cam in Head engines,if you read my thread 'i've saved Moon Monkeys Cavalier' (long story!) in this projects section a page or so back you'll see the 'fun' i've been having!

If you've got the head off and sent it to be skimmed ask them how much it would cost to have unleaded seats put in,my local engine shop did it for about £60 extra,at that price its worth having it done while the head is off.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

"quote" Originally posted by paulmanta

Was the redundant fuel pump you removed on the front of the engine ?

"quote"

Yup at front under the alternator. All pipes had been cut off!!! Have made blanking plate to cover the hole.

Suzy

Have a look at the head - when viewed from the top with the rocker cover off, IIRC there are date stamps into the castings - it looks like a circle with a number in it, you might be lucky and have a later head in which case it will be OK for unleaded.

Not top priority but the folding mirrors are easy fixed, just remove from the door and tighten up the mechanism.

David OMOC Member 420

Fife, Scotland

http://www.mantamad.co.uk

sig%20gte.jpg

Just to update you the head was sent this morning at about 10.30 amto be skimmed and pressure tested at Norwich Engine Centre and they managed to get it back by three this afternoon!!!

No problems with it and it has already had hardened valve seats put in so one less cost to worry about.

Thanks Opel2000 for sorting me out with some replacement lifters your a star[8D][:D]

Tomorrow night I am going to clean and reseat the valves and depending on time possibly get the head back on.

Just got to fit the remaining ancilleries and hope that she starts!!!!!!

Will let you know how I get on

Suz

hi .if your head is from a later engine[march 85 on] it will have a casting number on top 90209809 and have p2 stamped on the side above number 2 plug .p2 denotes an original carbed engine from 85/86 carlton.or p2e denotes injected from carlton or manta gte.these will have the correct gm fitted valves & seats for total use of unleaded.

Finally managed to get out tonight again [:D] and made some really good progress.

Have ground in all the valves and re fitted them and the hydraulic lifters so all in all a bl**dy good evenings work. [:D]

Also have checked and I have a newer head on an older bock, has all the markings as mentioned above[8D]

Hopefully tomorrow will see the head fitted back into place and all the new service items fitted (filters dizzy etc). Oh and yes prob time for a bit more paint and shiny things!! [:D]

Then for the big question will she or won't she [?][?] watch this space!!!!!!!

Suz

Housten we have a major problem

Tonight managed to get head on litfers and rockers on. Was tightening the cam bolts (using torque wrench set to correct figure) and was carefully tightening them and the bottom one has sheared.

Was not being at all heavy handed and have checked torque wrench and def set correctly.

Can i drill out the screw or will this damage the cam (i have a strong hunch it will) or am I going to need a new cam?

Think getting her running for next wed is now a dream over.

Any help gratefully received.

Suz

You will probably be able to extract the broken bit from the cam but you may well need the cam out of the head to do this, try your luck with a small flat screw driver to see if the bit that is in the cam is tight, sometimes when they break they go loose again due to having no head on the bolt, you can carefully twist it out into a waiting magnet, you do not want to drop it down into the timing chain.

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

The bolts never seemed to get tight? I don't remember having any washers on the front but I don't understand why it wrung off.

The other two bolts also felt the same I have stopped tightening those up for fear of breaking those too.

Mr Haynes recommendeds 33ftlb but this feels far too tight?

Anything I've missed?

Suz

Just checked book for myself, let the other half look it up last time to save some time - he gave me the figs from back page 193 for the 1.8OHC engine!!!!!!!

So much for saving time.

Lesson learned - If you want something doing do it yourself!!!!!!!

Suz

I absolutely hate those stupid bloody cam to sprocket bolts.

absolute pain in the butt, when I have some to hand I always replace with allen headed bolts, they are not as wide a seat as the splined bolts but they do as good a job without the hassle of the shallow splined heads of the originals.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

When we get it out it is they are being replaced with an 8mm hardened steel bolt. Might try to get some allen head ones though.

Think main issue for not checking the bl**dy book myself then trying to torque them to double whats required!!!!!!!

Oh and a quick thanks for all advice given with regard to this.

Suz

Tonight managed to get the camshaft sprocket bolt out using an easy out so other half has been let out of the doghouse.[:D][:D]

Have pretty much got her reassembled now head on, have filled her with some nice new oil, new oil filter, leads, dizzy cap. spark plugs and rotor arm. Had bit of a tidy up with the cabling under the bonnet. Just got to get the thermostat housing on which is causing small issue as due to the carbs the original housing won't fit without some kind of adaptor plate which goingto have to make tomorrow, then fit red pipes, fill up with water & antifreeze and that should be it.

Tomorrow night is going to be the real test will she or won't she start. Really hope all this not in vain and don't have to pull it all to bits again but we will have to see.[:)]

Watch this space

See pics below.

Suz

dsc01079zm4.jpg

dsc01081qt1.jpg

dsc01080my2.jpg

And a before and after

engineintact1ov3.jpg

dsc01083ug6.jpg

Looking good and getting there. Just my advice would be fill it with water, save the anti freeze till you're sure..............just in case[;)]

OMOC Member 6144

1982 1800 Manta Berlinetta Coupe

"quote">Originally posted by Johnny5

Looking good and getting there. Just my advice would be fill it with water, save the anti freeze till you're sure..............just in case[;)]

"quote"

Good point can always put in afterwards

She's all back together now, and bar one small water leak which should be a fairly easy fix all looks good.

And yes even though little late did have to try and fire her up and see if she would start and.....................

She didn't start. She was turning over but wouldn't run. So checked for spark which was all present but I noticed the plug was dry, so primed carbs a bit more and tried her again and....................

Took another photo!!!!!!

engineintact1ov3.jpg

dsc01085hj7.jpg

WE HAVE LIFT OFF, only for bout 20 secs with a little bit of throttle but still she started

She still appears to be running bit rough but she was cold (no choke fitted on carbs!!). Will check compression tomorrow and set the tappets up etc and see how we go from there you never know you may hear the sound of a lovely manta engine running.

Also wanted to say thanks for all the help and advice over the last week it has been invaluable. Also big thanks to opel2000 for supplying a couple of hydraulic lifters, without them would not be where it is now. Cheers Guys.

Suzy