James' SRB

james

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers everyone. Yes very pleased with the job.

James, I have the corner pieces but I beleive the trim shrinks back slightly when been in the sun a few times. So I thought I would let it all settle down before I fit them in case they pop out and get lost. Wish I knew you had the tool.

J.

Just realised I promised to mention the people responsible.

All bodywork -

ARG Garage Services

Pottery Road

Bovey Tracey

Devon

TQ13 9DS Tel 01626 833222

Headlining -

Westcountry Trimmers

Blue Waters

Pottery Road

Bovey Tracey

Devon

TQ13 9YF Tel 01626 833722

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, James!

Are there any fullsize pictures of Your pretty manta on the forum or on the web?

I'll probably soon gain black pre-restyled manta b in bad condition, and I wonder how it looks in black with all crome. I had big problems finding such images in the web.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate. If you let me have your email address I can send you some.

Have started the next stage of this years restoration work.

Removed o/s wing and have started removing the underseal. Found a heat gun good for removing the bulk of it, then a wire brush attachment on the angle grinder to get back to bare metal. Awful job though.

Found this hiding

projectmanta0206.jpg

projectmanta0217.jpg

projectmanta0186.jpg

Jacking point very good though!

projectmanta0227.jpg

Not much holding the lower wing!

projectmanta0157.jpg

This looks worse than it is. Note the clear silicone! Nice touch!!!

projectmanta0237.jpg

Has anyone used that gel rust remover? Dont fancy grinding off the surface rust inside the car. Does it work?

Has anyone used that gel rust remover? Dont fancy grinding off the surface rust inside the car. Does it work?

The bilt hamber gel is like the gods own nectar

Seriously tho, works reasonably well. Lil better than the hammerite and a bit more environmentally friendly.

I've heard of some using the deox c powder to make a paste thats more potent.

If its surface rust, then a flap disc might be an option. Or a nylon brush in powerdrill.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is back from being welded. New section fabricated from left of the chin spoiler mounting point as you can see.

mantaproject0055.jpg

Tidy job of this area

mantaproject0067.jpg

Just trying to find the time now to paint the inner wing and fit a new pattern wing. Working a 70hr week at the moment so just doing bit at a time.

Spent too much money on her for this year so decided to carry out projects that I can actually do myself rather than pay someone to do.

So decided to refurb the wheels

Had this one shot blasted, then applied two coats of etch primer.

mantaproject0039.jpg

Fingers crossed it will turn out ok after the filler primer, silver paint and lacquer

Hi Keith. Originally it was supposed to be £200 + Vat but they had to make up the stainless rods that hold it in place as well. So final bill was £230 + Vat. A lot more than I wanted to pay but they have done an amazing job.

I've seen this B a couple of times and as shiruken says earlier the black and chrome combo suit it down to the ground. I was curious, have you considered fitting the earlier style chrome bumpers? This would really add that extra bit of bling, as would hi-polishing the alloys and then laquer over the bare alloy? I know the car wouldn't be strictly original as you've kept it but keep the black bumpers and they only take 10 mins to swap over should you need to. Just an idea.

By the by, is that stone chip you're using underneath and under the arches?

Hi Rick. I would prefer to keep it original but I must admit I have been tempted with the chrome bumper idea. Maybe if a set came up for sale locally I may be swayed. And yes I used Tetrosyl stone chip followed by a couple of coats of good old hammerite smooth. I also sealed all the seems and joints first with an overpaintable silicone.

Now that is what I call some superb welding, that looks absolutely so damn spot on from the pics, an absolute pleasure to see.

Lovely to see something being done to such a damn good standard James.

Would also agree with your thoughts that fitting chrome bumpers onto this would make for one hell of an already superb 'B' even more superb.

Getting hold of them is the problem though

From what I gathered from the recent club OCP pilgrimage, they have maybe a couple of chrome front bumpers left, the rears I don't know. The best thing would be that when someone decides to sell me a B shell for my V8 I'll sell the bumpers in favor of the facelift type. That may take a while.

Original's fine mate and this is a lovely example (you've won a concourse or two haven't you?) but I can never keep anything 100% original, since I want that personal unique-ness and as much as I love mantas there are some ugly components, just look under your bonnet James, some German's left his frying pan there!

I've been following a couple of your topics, since I want to get started on my early B resto, get the wings off and can see what to look out for, but trust me your arches and inner wings look mint compared to mine (before your welding obviously)

• 5 weeks later...

Have finally got round to removing the n/s wing. Decided to repair this one as its not too bad after grinding out the rust.

manta003.jpg

Inner wing surprisingly very good. Only a couple of small holes needed welding up. All seam sealed and primed now.

manta001.jpg

manta002.jpg

Found a company locally that will shot blast and powder coat alloys at 35 quid a wheel all in! So have decided to not to refurb them myself as I wont be saving that much really and of course a powder coat finish will be a lot more durable.

Always use stick on wheel weights with powder coated wheels when you get the tyres balanced, if you put the clip on ones on the clips dig the coating away and the water gets under the coating and the aluminium will fizz up and push the coating off in no time.

Also watch kerbing.

I stopped using powder coating a while back because it looks good for a couple of years then goes bad if you scuff it, etch primer and spraypaint works for me now plus it shines up better.