ASCONA!

stradacab

Img_0048.jpg

Img_0046.jpg

Just started this, it has never been welded and now needs the tiniest bits of welding to the rear of one sill. I've never seen such perfect floors, jacking points, wheelarches and front footwells before. I'll take some pics as the interior is out for a full valet.

Why couldn't they make Manta's out of Ascona metal?

Brakes are binding and tyres are oval from where it has been stood for 14 years, wants an exhaust and repaint to make immaculate!

What a find!

Forumwheel.jpg

Nice, I love Asconas.

They do seem to be made of much better metal than later cars but the paint seems to be a lower quality, The bits that i have not sprayed on mine are quite a challenge to keep looking shiny.

EDIT: Take both front and rear screens out when you paint it they are swines for rust under the rubbers, my rear was a right mess and the front was just starting.

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier Mantas (proper Bs, rather than Cs) were more rust resistant for some reason, as long as they are used. It's when you lay them up that the problems start, as I found out!

Nice Ascona! My father in law had a 2 door many years ago. I always wanted to buy it off him, but unfortunatley, due to an unfortunate mishap, my mother in law made him get rid of it! Shame, cos it wasn't the poor old cars fault!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Repaired the hole in the sill, ended up doing the back, strengthening web and outer sill, not to mention the arch and closing the end up.

I've ground it off now and bar a quick skim of filer I'm quite pleased with it!

sillrep.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing really to photograph of late. All the little bits of welding are done now.

Offside wing arrived from Germany and has been fitted and lined up. You have to fit, take off, hammer and dolly, try again, modify a bit before painting and fitting for the final time. I'm happy with the panel gaps considering they're pattern wings. Then you've got to drill all the holes for the strips, arch trims and badges and get 'em on straight!

Cause I haven't decided what to do with the bonnet yet I've turned my attention to the seized brakes. I've overhauled the calipers so the offside brake comes off now! I've done new pads, rear shoes, wheel cylinders washed out the reservoir and pumped about a litre of brake fluid through it.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a middle box and do the exhaust system.

I don't think it will make Billing if I don't get a bonnet soon, apart from that its ready to paint.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd better do a quick update. I have been busy, but not on this one for a while.

I still need a new bonnet, but it's looking more likely that I will have to repair the current one.

Great news is that I accidentally bought a later black plastic front bumper for it at Billing! The seller didn't know what it was, and I thought it was for a Manta until I realised it didn't have any indicator cut-outs. Eight quid, bargain!

So I'm going for the post '80 look with plastic bumpers and the front spoiler I got off paulmanta. I reckon it just needs a set of Hella Comet 550's under the bumpers and it will look superb.

Now the GTE is sold I've got some money for paint so this should be a well realistic contender for Billing '09 (Ian and paulmanta you have been warned!!)

• 1 year later...

Gosh it's been a while!! BUT we're off and rolling again.

Now Darrens 400r is out the way I went and collected a bonnet from Mr Newport for the Ascona. Its been partially stripped and the underside has surface rust. I'm gonna get it sandblasted and etch prime it. I'll fit the bonnet to match the nice new wings and I have a price for a full repaint.

I'll get some photo's up- Watch this space!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would take a quick photo with the later bumpers and the front spoiler fitted to show you what I was talking about.

Car has been stood there since August last year.

IMG_0899.jpg

Had to go to the garage to fill a jerry can with fuel, it was on fumes when I parked it there so I wasn't surprised! After a few cranks fired up no probs, clutch free (I left the handbrake off anyway) and in she drove

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

I don't have anything massive (I hope) to do. It may need a rear arch and the bonnet changing. I'm going to tinker my way through this and get it painted, but I have to bare metal the panel as the paint is flaking off in places. I was told that GM had problems with the primers back in the 70's- dunno?

• 2 weeks later...

I've pottered through this week. I am methodically taking it apart and boxing/ labelling everything into sections (don't know why, there cant be a trim clip or screw that I don't recognise from the inside or outside of a Manta!) After pushing so hard on Darrens 400R this is a light resto and relief. I've done almost all of the welding way back last year but there is some rust to pick up.

I am going to have to replace the os rear wheel arch and it is perforating from inside so I'll probably start that this week.

You can see from the photo's the floors are superb, there is some surface rust in the passenger footwell where it has been stood and got moist. I think it's the screen so I will probably cure this when I refit as the glass (It's all coming out for paint)

Haven't sent the new bonnet off for sandblasting yet but have had a really busy one at work.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Edited by stradacab

This week I realised I have only ever removed the battery outside in the dark to move the car. So the first time I did it in daylight I found this nastiness....

IMG_0955.jpg

That clearly explains my soggy passenger footwell. Oh well, it is still a very solid car overall.

Cut the rot away and made a plate fo fit, used that joggler thingy to drop the edges. There is another smaller hole hidden under the plate to do.

Will give me a chance to try out my brand spanking Esab welder I guess.

IMG_1000.jpg

Edited by stradacab

Os rear arch had some rust runs thru the primer, when I wire brushed it back the arch was holed. Years of condensation water had run between the two skins so that only the panel sealer was holding them together.

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

Lucky the damage hasn't spread too far so I have used the lip from a 2 door repair panel to make a replacement.

I can tack a butt weld so it shouldn't need to much finishing. I will have to make a curved repair for inside and fill it full of waxoyl once painted.

IMG_1007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got some time on the Ascona in between tyring (usucessfully) to get the Cavalier XE to cool properly. Thought I'd have a go at something I could get right so I've spent a couple hours out there tonight.

Welded the arch repair in, need to grind it back and finish- have to repair the inner arch behind this week.

And put those two plates in the battery tray- not my prettiest welding ever but I'm getting used to my new machine. nice and solid though.

asconaarch.jpg

batttray.jpg

excellent job youre doing there. i have a 76 cav that i will be doing the rear arches on over winter. what make was the arch repair panel that you used? it looks to fit pretty good.i bought a repair panel which is miles out but had no makers label on. & do you know where i can get a pair?