Opel Commodore Project Underway

Rab

Hi All,

Been to Suffolk today and here's some more pics for your interest - seems we're only a couple of weeks away now :thumbup The car is looking fantastic and Simon P has done an amazing job - would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending his services to anyone who cares enough to go 'the full Monty' with their prized posession - top man :D !

P08-11-09_1109.jpg

P08-11-09_110901.jpg

P08-11-09_1114.jpg

P08-11-09_112202.jpg

P08-11-09_112203.jpg

P08-11-09_112401.jpg

P08-11-09_1152.jpg

Engine Bay:

DSCN8024.jpg

DSCN8023.jpg

Ahh thanks for that, its not too different from my dads mk1 cavs by the look of it. Yep yep! its kips old black one, shes a bit better now than she was when i got it off him its all MOT'd everything that was broken all works and been replaced, im just getting everything i need for it then mocking it up and then she's getting bareshelled and acid dipped. I wouldnt mind coming down and having a look at your red one at some point!

I looked at your car a few years ago to do some work on it for Kips, he also was on pimp my ride with it if you didn't know!

Hot sure how mant are being restored in the country at the moment, there's not many around in he UK though, i've been keeping my eye on German ebay to see if one comes on there as project though. When Simon brought me his car, my mind was running wild with ideas (as Simon will tell you).

You more than welcome to pop down sometime, i'll show you around and we can have a yarn over a cuppa.

I looked at your car a few years ago to do some work on it for Kips, he also was on pimp my ride with it if you didn't know!

Hot sure how mant are being restored in the country at the moment, there's not many around in he UK though, i've been keeping my eye on German ebay to see if one comes on there as project though. When Simon brought me his car, my mind was running wild with ideas (as Simon will tell you).

You more than welcome to pop down sometime, i'll show you around and we can have a yarn over a cuppa.

WHAT! no i didnt know that! lol. where can i find a the clip of it? he failed to mention that. what did you have to do to it? yeah they're gorgeous cars! they have tones of potentioal but im just doing my usual OEM+ spec (what opel should of done) there are loads on german ebay but no fastbacks, they seem to be fairly rare, although ive just watched a silver fastback on ebay finish at £4700, didnt sell as it didnt meet reserve. im glad pimp my ride didnt get their hands on mine, it would have been destroyed! lol. yes i'd like nothing more than to come down for a chat and a browse, is the commy still at your unit? whens best to come down? im near sheffield so its a fair trek, lol. thumbsup.gif

WHAT! no i didnt know that! lol. where can i find a the clip of it? he failed to mention that. what did you have to do to it? yeah they're gorgeous cars! they have tones of potentioal but im just doing my usual OEM+ spec (what opel should of done) there are loads on german ebay but no fastbacks, they seem to be fairly rare, although ive just watched a silver fastback on ebay finish at £4700, didnt sell as it didnt meet reserve. im glad pimp my ride didnt get their hands on mine, it would have been destroyed! lol. yes i'd like nothing more than to come down for a chat and a browse, is the commy still at your unit? whens best to come down? im near sheffield so its a fair trek, lol. thumbsup.gif

Yes, he was on a live show where the public phoned and voted in and voted for the car they wanted pimped. A VW type 2 pick up one, there's somthing here about it. http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/pimp-my-ride-uk/news/38929-pimp-my-ride-back-and-live

Simon's car still here, you can come down whenever you want, i seem to be allways working right now.

Yes, he was on a live show where the public phoned and voted in and voted for the car they wanted pimped. A VW type 2 pick up one, there's somthing here about it. http://www.mtv.co.uk...e-back-and-live

Simon's car still here, you can come down whenever you want, i seem to be allways working right now.

Sweet! im only workin 4 days next week so i'll come down early on which everday it is im off i dont know till monday, whats the owners name? he sent me his number to call but dont know his name, i'll see if i can get him down aswel, i'll let you know A.S.A.P when i'll be coming down. Cheers, Rich. thumbsup.gif

Sweet! im only workin 4 days next week so i'll come down early on which everday it is im off i dont know till monday, whats the owners name? he sent me his number to call but dont know his name, i'll see if i can get him down aswel, i'll let you know A.S.A.P when i'll be coming down. Cheers, Rich. thumbsup.gif

Hi Rich - It's Simon (the owner) same name as Mr P - so a tad confusing. If you're coming near to Milton Keynes on your journey to Suffolk you could pop in for a chat. Either way hope to speak soon.

Noticed you're near sheffield - that's where my parents come from - small world :) - you could pop down the M1 in a couple of hours on your way to Suffolk, or pop in on the way back from Simon's....if you head straight over via St Neots, south a bit on the A1 to the Black cat roundabout and then west onto the Bedford Bypass to MK....

Would be good to catch-up before you go on your travels to Europe for parts :thumbup

I've got a small collection of things Commodore which may be of interest - sadly not parts I'm afraid.

Edited by Stonymanta

Hi Rich - It's Simon (the owner) same name as Mr P - so a tad confusing. If you're coming near to Milton Keynes on your journey to Suffolk you could pop in for a chat. Either way hope to speak soon.

Noticed you're near sheffield - that's where my parents come from - small world smile.gif - you could pop down the M1 in a couple of hours on your way to Suffolk, or pop in on the way back from Simon's....if you head straight over via St Neots, south a bit on the A1 to the Black cat roundabout and then west onto the Bedford Bypass to MK....

Would be good to catch-up before you go on your travels to Europe for parts thumbsup.gif

I've got a small collection of things Commodore which may be of interest - sadly not parts I'm afraid.

Yeah that would be great cheers simon! or if we could pick a day to both go down to see your car i could set off early, come to yours then on to suffolk. never seen another in the flesh so to speak. Yes i wouldnt mind seeing what you have. It would be good to hear the story about you're car upto now. just let me know when ur next wanting to go down to suffolk and i'll get down to yours early doors if you wanna do that. Thanks, Rich.

Been over to Suffolk for the last two days to fit the side glass. Have found brand new chrome side trim and rubbers for rear passenger windows from Reprotech in Germany. Cost a bit, but if they're rusted badly like mine were you've no choice. Almost got both rear side windows in yeterday with new chrome strips and seals, but one side popped off whilst fitting, so took all the mechanisms out and the glass with trim. We decided to do this as I didn't want this happening in the future at some random point - probably on the road and risk loosing them. Simon recommended glueing the seal rubber onto the glass prior to fitting the chrome trim over(could glue this too me thinks). I used some glue Simon had that's called 'Sticks Like....' - you get the idea and left them going off when I left last night.

Anyway, the front drivers side windows are now in - this took a whole day as it uses cable wound onto a threaded drum and a couple of tensioner wheels and if the cable isn't tight enough the window winds up ok, but when you wind it down it jerks about all over the place :o So it's all sorted now :thumbup

Simon has done all the brake pipes and fuel lines and the fuel pump is nicely in place. Today the new injectors are turning up too :)

Took a few pictures of how things have moved on....

P27-11-09_091801.jpg

P27-11-09_091802.jpg

P27-11-09_091803.jpg

P27-11-09_1556.jpg

P27-11-09_1558.jpg

P27-11-09_0925.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there both Simons! we were talking a few weeks ago about meeting up for a chat and a browse round the car and shop! Im thinking of making it saturday if this is ok with you it would be good if you were both there! Get back to me A.S.A.P. Thanks, Rich.

Edited by Howie86

Hi there both Simons! we were talking a few weeks ago about meeting up for a chat and a browse round the car and shop! Im thinking of making it saturday if this is ok with you it would be good if you were both there! Get back to me A.S.A.P. Thanks, Rich.

HI Rich can you give me a call on the Mobile as I didn't get your number on the phone when you called...oops

Thanks mate - we're good to go for the weekend trip to Mr Ps....

WoW!! If it was my car? I'd buy a trailer! no way would i risk putting a 'pure' minter like that one the road.

A credit to you and Simon P :thumbup

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith - much appreciate your comments - it really is going to be a tough decision whether to use the car on the road or not - now there's a debate we all have from time to time ;-)

that commodore really rocks!Wish we had also a professional like SimonP

It does help if you have a good relationship with the man who's doing the work. You're right though a professional he is :thumbup

Hi Rich - Simon P won't be there on Saturday so I'm afraid visit is off :( . I have an errand to do that day to now (short notice)so can't be available either - Sorry, but we'll have to rearrange the visit - probably after Xmas now. Know this doesn't help your pre Holland trip, but we can talk through stuff if you need(?).

As I mentioned I need a five stud roystyle wheel for my car as well as chrome wheel rims x4 etc. I must arrange to give you a list of stuff - can do this when you call.

Hope to speak soon... :thumbup

Cheers for now,

Simon.

Thought you'd appreciate this very nice Rekord Coupe thumbsup.gif :

3690016975_de1fcc477b_b.jpg

3690021675_c4ede82625_b.jpg

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Sweet! i have about 5 pics of that car in my "Ideas file" got literaly thousands of pics of commo A and Rek C's so i can hatch ideas on little things to do to mine. i'll fetch them through for you to look at when you fancy meeting up, let me know thanks, Rich.

Edited by Howie86

OK, may be this needs to be somewhere else moderators(?), but in the mean time here are some pictures of my Commie starting the road back to full health over at Suffolk County Manta's:

Pictures are progress to date in no particular order:

DSCN6113.jpg

DSCN6079.jpg

DSCN6081.jpg

DSCN6115.jpg

DSCN6116.jpg

DSCN6117.jpg

DSCN6125.jpg

DSCN6134.jpg

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6140.jpg

DSCN6144.jpg

DSCN6145.jpg

DSCN6148.jpg

DSCN6149.jpg

DSCN6198.jpg

DSCN6202.jpg

DSCN6203.jpg

This is after spending three solid days working on the car (mostly my own efforts) - though expert advice from Simon and his team helped enormously!

Enjoy [biggrin.gif]

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

1971 Opel Commodore Coupe

Old Mantas never die, they just get faster !

I had a 1969 commodore B (2.5 6cyl. Auto)a few months ago but with no so much rust on it.Needed a lot of work too due to rust.Sold it for €350sad.gif

Sweet! i have about 5 pics of that car in my "Ideas file" got literaly thousands of pics of commo A and Rek C's so i can hatch ideas on little things to do to mine. i'll fetch them through for you to look at when you fancy meeting up, let me know thanks, Rich.

Hi Rich - can you text me so I have a mobile number for you - went to save it after our last call and your number was blocked <_<

Been to Suffolk today and have some pics for you:

Rear Axle:

P29-12-09_1232.jpg

P29-12-09_123202.jpg

Handbrake position - note brand new prop bearing on shaft. Cable doesn't seem to sit right - but it's the way it's been designed - Simon and I agree on this...

P29-12-09_1233.jpg

Front suspension, calipers etc:

P29-12-09_1237.jpg

P29-12-09_1238.jpg

Note the steering damper - which makes the steering very smooth to use - so Simon tells me, from when he pushes the car round the workshop...

P29-12-09_123301.jpg

P29-12-09_1348.jpg

Simon is going to get the injection sorted in the new year and move things along some more.

Thanks for all the positive messages keeps the motivation going ;)

Edited by Stonymanta

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Quick update. I have sourced Silicon Brake Fluid for the car, some stainless steel number plate holders and have the Wiper Arm now finished ready for Simon to fit.

The brake fluid:

The advantage of Silicon Brake fluid is that it lasts almost indefinately and does not mark paint work. It was developed by the US for Military applications for vehicles in long-term storage situations and is favoured by classic car enthusiasts (but only when you find out about it ;-)). It is marked as DOT 5.0 and should not be confused with DOT 5.1 which is an entirely different chemical composition. DOT is the American Department Of Transport and 'DOT' is their standard which is universally adopted.

Colour and Trim Chart:

I have recently also received a Colour and Trim chart for 1970 which covers the GS/E. I've been hunting for one for ages. What it confirms is that the Colour we have had the car painted - Cardinal Red - is the same as it left the factory which I'm very pleased with. We had found the colour previously, but not on official Opel documentation - so this is fantastic :D

Thought you might like to see this Rekord/Commodore :

3899624524_62ec9566b9_b.jpg

Engine bay - Chrome overload !

3898844029_a86741542a_b.jpg