Opel Commodore Project Underway

Rab

• 2 weeks later...

I was wandering why you didn't inserted the rear vent shafts on the rear window sides..?

B) Bauke

Hi Bauke - Good spot :thumbup

Basically the rear quarters were sooooo rotten including around the rear vents that we decided when fitting the new panels to not replace them. The panels came from South America and are geniune GM Opala quarters and these weren't fitted. I also think it looks a bit tidier.

Don't think it ruins the car though. I do still have the vent trims if I decide to put these back at a later date this can be done. I also have the vinyl roof trims and the side trims for the bottom sides of the car - so I could make it very standard later if required ;)

Well i gues it is gonna be only driven with nice weather,

so you won't need any ventilation :D

And do you have new seals for the rear side windows?

coupe_part-1.jpg

True B) - I have the old ones which like all of them are rotten. I have discussed this and we're planning on using a new profile of rubber seal and making it fit - I wasn't happy with this initially but I can't source any new ones anywhere - unless you know of somewhere. I have basically built my car from international e-Bay and contacts.

It's taken a huge amount of my time - but it's definately worth it :D

True cool.gif - I have the old ones which like all of them are rotten. I have discussed this and we're planning on using a new profile of rubber seal and making it fit - I wasn't happy with this initially but I can't source any new ones anywhere - unless you know of somewhere. I have basically built my car from international e-Bay and contacts.

It's taken a huge amount of my time - but it's definately worth it biggrin.gif

Hi simon, its rich can you send me your number and i'll give you a ring i think its time we met up an saw your car! lol.

Just gone through the whole thread and WOW :thumbup

Fantastic, love it

Nice pics of the axle too, i've just started a thread before i noticed the very same axle on yours i'm cutting up for mine ;)

Quality work always shines through

Thanks Kevin much appreciate your comments/sentiment :thumbup . Simon P is THE MAN for this quality of work. I've been OC Parts on this project and logistics. Finding the bits has been a REAL mission. But I'm happy that at least two others on this Forum now have Rekord/Commodore A Coupes too. Started a bit of a revival here me thinks ;) They're a really great shape and I had not seen one before 2004 and as soon as I saw the press photo I was on a mission....

I'm working hard to ensure the car makes it to this summers shows including Billing.

Just gone through the whole thread and WOW thumbsup.gif

Fantastic, love it

Nice pics of the axle too, i've just started a thread before i noticed the very same axle on yours i'm cutting up for mine wink.gif

Quality work always shines through

Hi Kevin! What are the axles off that you are cutting up? if they are commodore A ones i need a set, life or death situation!!! name your price and i will come and fetch them, please dont cut them up!!! Thanks, Rich.

Hi simon! sorry about earlier my battery died, i was talking to myself for about 5 mins before i realised! lol. give me a ring back when ever. Thanks, Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok So here's where the car has got to - Electrics working are lights, fan, wipers, horn, interior lights and door open light on dashboard - these are pictures from the weekend just gone:

Interior coming along :

P1000732.jpg

P1000733.jpg

P1000734.jpg

Glass fitting ok now and door handles fitted :

P1000735.jpg

Rear starting to look more complete now :

P1000738.jpg

and one for the album ;-)

P1000744blackout.jpg

Will update more hopefully soon.

Hi Rich - the door open warning light is at the borrom of the right hand dial - this may be different on your car as yours is right hand drive - check the pics above...

Have had no fuel in it yet so can't confirm either way - though the unit that was in the tank looked pretty good - so we'll have to see.

New carpet set was bought on e-Bay from the US - but I would never buy one from there again - the fit was awful and Simon's trimmer Darren (excellent man at his work that's for sure :-)) has had quite a job to sort this out. I know that you can get a carpet set from Germany on Ebay and would think this may be a better bet.

The brakes are being bled over this weekend and hopefully it won't be too many more days... Tho' we are still at the mercy of 39 year-old engine management electronics..... so really it's watch this space.

I'll update as and when.

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited by Stonymanta

Yeah ive messaged the seller in germany for a price on just the front carpet but no reply

Pretty sure i dont have the door open light (Damn!) That will need to be rectified!!

Well ive just bought a Genuine Opel sender unit still in the opel box date stamped 7.72 and fuel gauge still registers full no matter what and i have 2 gauges!

I'll be winning the box with the 3 gauges tomorrow from german ebay! (The one that mounts under the dash.)

well think of it this way mate 39 year old technology will be bulletproof! no silicone chips or any delacate pressed circuitry.

cool! bleeding brakes usually signals the end of a resto!

GET UR CHROME ON!!!! lol.

Ok,

I have done a job on the rear side window trims which were pretty corroded and some person on a prior resto attempt has damaged them - but I've done the best I can with some Wet and Dry (800) and some Autosol (excellent product for polishing metal as most of you will know).

I had to be careful not to overdo the sanding as I just can't get replacements for these (yet!).

Here's the finished articles with new rubber inserts:

P17-04-10_1026.jpg

Now a closer look:

P17-04-10_1027.jpg

P17-04-10_102601.jpg

We're almost there.....;-)

Yeah ive messaged the seller in germany for a price on just the front carpet but no reply

Pretty sure i dont have the door open light (Damn!) That will need to be rectified!!

Well ive just bought a Genuine Opel sender unit still in the opel box date stamped 7.72 and fuel gauge still registers full no matter what and i have 2 gauges!

I'll be winning the box with the 3 gauges tomorrow from german ebay! (The one that mounts under the dash.)

well think of it this way mate 39 year old technology will be bulletproof! no silicone chips or any delacate pressed circuitry.

cool! bleeding brakes usually signals the end of a resto!

GET UR CHROME ON!!!! lol.

Rich - you do know that you can buy a repro clock set unit for under the dash from Autotiele on eBay - don't want you to buy what you don't need - tho' if the one you're bidding on has the clocks in already then it's a no brainer ;-)

Brakes are being bled Tomorrow ......... :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have had an excellent week for the Commodore - Bauke's(Dutch Commodore Forum Administrator) seal trims and fuse box cover all turned up safe and sound yesterday :D

But today - the best bit - my car now is MOT'd for the road -)

Here's the evidence:

P1000753.jpg

The car just needs some finishing touches and the reflectors replaced to brighten her eyes, but that's about it:

P1000750.jpg

P1000751.jpg

P1000752.jpg

Just got to get the car registered for the road next week ;):D;):D

More excited than at Christmas now!

Well done, fanstastic news. The car is a credit to both you and Simon P, I know Simon has been resonsable for most of the work, but your efforts in finding the parts needed just goes to show us all that the parts are out there, if we just keep looking.

Just been to the DVLA - apparently an e-Mail isn't proof of age even it it comes from the manufacturer :angry:

I have called GM in Switzerland and requested an official GM letter headed letter comfirming the cars production date. If I can secure this then I can get an age related plate...... almost there.

I still have to deal with Customs and excise yet..... more of that later - just off to call them.....

Patience is a virtue ;)

bl@@dyhell, that does look sooo good. hope you've both given yourselves a big pat on the back! :thumbup

first time i saw this it was a sorry looking shell on a spit in simons workshop. i so need to see this again in the flesh one day. will it be at billing this year now?

I'm determined it will be there

Hi All,

I have had an excellent week for the Commodore - Bauke's(Dutch Commodore Forum Administrator) seal trims and fuse box cover all turned up safe and sound yesterday :D

But today - the best bit - my car now is MOT'd for the road -)

Here's the evidence:

P1000753.jpg

The car just needs some finishing touches and the reflectors replaced to brighten her eyes, but that's about it:

P1000750.jpg

P1000751.jpg

P1000752.jpg

Just got to get the car registered for the road next week ;):D;):D

More excited than at Christmas now!

Excellent news!! Can't believe how similar from the side and rear 3/4 it is to the 68/69/70 Dodge Chargers, certainly no bad thing!! :thumbup