Project "J"

stradacab

Thanks guys, this is the best part cause every job makes the car look better. I've got a picture in my mind of how it's going to look and it's coming together perfectly but slowly. Trying to avoid the temptation to rush!!

• 2 weeks later...

More bits done. Apart from the fiddly detail bits The stuff you can see includes:-

Finishing the deadening on the floors.

image.jpg4_zpstriozbvw.jpg

Prepping the crossmember and front of legs for satin black and spraying the chin

image.jpg3_zps6nnnxuhd.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsu3oaxyka.jpg

Fitting the Webasto Topslider sunroof

image.jpg1_zpszmvz9wju.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspxzqossn.jpg

(Must tidy the garage-jeez what a mess!)

• Like 4

I can't wait to show it off and you will see the car at Billing but not until 2016 I'm afraid, I have given myself lots of stress before by doing these things to deadlines.

I have so much still to do I think that even if I did want to do it flat out I wouldn't have time to source and finish anyway.

I still have no headliner made which holds up the glass and all of the inner trim and the wheels need to come off and be blasted and refinished. I need a clear glass windscreen to match the rest of the car, bonnet stay, heater matrix, brake proportionimg valve, wheel centre caps.......

That is just the stuff I can think of quickly!

Best to plod through it and get it right. I keep threatening that I'm retiring after this one so, if this is my last one, I might as well make it last.

Hiya James - do you have a source for the sunroof ? I've been looking around for one without any luck !

Mine was an ebay job, you need to keep lurking! If you want one quicker they are for sale on eBay.de. I can't remember the German for sunroof but you can search Hollandia 300 because they have changed the branding. If you are replacing a rotten factory roof you will need a topslider Large model. They are about 300 quid if I recall

Stripped, cleaned and painted the headlamps. They were in very good nick but needed a damn good clean. Refitted those along with the rubbers and installed the nose trim. Found a correct badge and repainted that.

Second coated the chin intake which looks superb now, just need to source a good black plastic bumper

Meanwhile, new boot rubber, fitted the felt sound insulation back in and have laid the carpets

image.jpg1_zpsuq4frubd.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update:-

I don't see to have anything fantastic to photograph but I have been working through all of the little jobs that are needed

Fitted throttle cable

Bonnet latch and release cable

New washer pipes and jets fitted

Cleaned the wash bottle, got to paint the bracket

Bonnet light

Painted window surrounds and fitted

Foam for headliner glued in

Starting the engine bay brake pipes now

And all this includes finding it, cleaning it up etc!

• 2 weeks later...

The slow progress continues slowly. I am at the point where I am preparing, painting and fitting little bits and bobs so that I spend 2 hours in the garage and the car looks exactly the same as before.

Fitted the window glass rubbers, painted some more window trim, the heater ducts and cleaned and fitted the dash crash pad. Been searching the loft and boxes and have found some more parts I will need but there are a lot of things missing (must post a wanted ad!!)

EMS sent me the decals arms they arrived today. Even though there are far more important things I should be doing I couldnt resist fitting those so spent a blissful evening tinkering with this.

The quality and cut is superb

image.jpg1_zpszkyw1wwh.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsegcnhaxs.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

So nearly two weeks later and this seems to be taking for ever!

Some shots of the engine bay. It was covered in overspray so had to be polished with rubbing compound to make it gleam. We now have a master cylinder fitted, new reservoir, brave vale bracket painted, brake limiter and new copper pipes made up flared and fitted. Crossmember cleaned and will now be painted. Got some new omega clips for the wiring loom

image.jpg2_zps9rofssff.jpg

image.jpg1_zpslwv6q224.jpg

Ems is working on the side stripes as we have got a correct scan for the front wing now and having trouble getting the curve into the rear wing. Meanwhile, here is a pic of the door decal and I had to put one Englemann on for the look!

image.jpg3_zpspizpcft8.jpg

• Like 4

James you have the patience of a saint and the attention to detail is outstanding, it will be a real credit to you.

Thankyou. That means a lot when I have just spent an hour repairing the mangled indicator wiring with salvaged original terminals and covers using the correct colour coded wiring so it looks factory even though no one will ever know. I love pottering away and getting it as perfect as I am capable of.

• Like 2

The banded Rostyles fit in well.

The BBS style would work

The ATS like ones look a bit too wide and for some reason i can't put a finger on some how don't fit with the Manta.

The white wheels would not look good, on a GTE that is totally white then your on to a winner but a car with chrome and black trim you'll be backed a looser.