Project "J"

stradacab

After Billing I went away for 10 days so work up to last weekend was non-existent.

Since my return I have done three nights out there and have finished wiring the locking, fitted the door speaker cables and run to the radio slot which means I have refitted that side of the lower dash. You have to be so careful with the wires cause it's so tight in there that the check strap or drop glass can catch them. I hope I've got it right.

Turned my attention to getting all of my seat belts, bolts, spacers and washers out. The sum total of that is that I have a full set of three rear seat belts installed and the front belt parks on the centre tunnel. Tomorrow I need to sort the fronts, see what I have and, depending on sets, decide wether I fit the ones with the springy flappy bottoms or the later ones that slide along the chrome bar at the bottom of the b post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A brief progress report with no really exciting photos to post I am sorry.

The shiny gearbox is now fitted and I have put the prop back on. Meantime I cleaned all the seat mounting brackets and bolts up and have etch primed and painted. Located a bonnet stay (although I need the plastic holder) 

chris T is sorting a clutch then I am ready to drop the engine in......

• 2 weeks later...

Must get some piccies up !

gearbox in and prop fittes along with the new gearstick gators.

fitted the rest of the Lowe dash and a bit more central locking wiring

wired and fired the headlamps on warning relay

seat mounts and bolts all dipped and painted and refitted awaiting arrival of the seats.

bought a nice subtle set of pioneer 2way speakers so have tided up the gash of a hole in the cards and fitted those.

i have a bonnets stay now to paint but need the plastic holder thing.

next job is to finish some paint on the engine, fit the clutch and drop the engine in.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have fitted the clutch and have got the engine virtually ready to go in here...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

both door cards fitted after waxoyl and polythenne on the doors, now where do I put those immaculate chrome escutcheons and regulator handles?

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

you can also see the seat fixing brackets fitted in now

This turned up on my drive last week aswell! Too rare a model and too early not to attempt a save.

• Like 1

Christ James you do have some projects and make a superb job of restoring them, I was looking at your Ascona at Billing and thinking how nice it looks.

What became of SGH 71V? The one you bought off me years ago.

Chris. 

Ahh, how I miss SGH! It wasn't being used so I sold it to Rapierdave. He had it for a couple of years and sold it to Chris in Wales (it was at Billing again in 2013 and 2014) and he in turn sold it to another chap in Wales who is taking care of it.

It was a very special car for me because it was my first one back in 2006 when I got back into them, I joined the club as I bought through the forum and ended up making some fantastic friends, owning some fantastic cars, doing some projects I didn't think I was capable of and saved a few for future generations along the way.

2006 was when I left the club after 16 years, But going to Billing again this year for the first time since then has lit the passion once again, SGH was a nice car but made better by yourself.

I remember when you bought it from me you were worried that it might not get you home as it was a long way and me putting your mind at rest, she was always reliable.

Glad it still survives as one thing that has really surprised me after a few years away is the rate of attrition.  

Cant wait to see the GTj in the flesh.

• Like 1

Is the yellow manta a 1.6? Deluxe, DL in log book. whats with the cover on grill and wing addition? Nice project!

Hi Brady, the covers are a home made job, the air intake ones to stop water ingress and the wing ones to cover holes!

it is a 1975 SR with the optional 1.9 engine

one thing that has really surprised me after a few years away is the rate of attrition.  

Yes, if you see a Manta about on the road it is an event and someone will know who owns it.

But as proved above Manta's are still turning up, true they will be in need restoartion but their value, historic and money wise, means that restoring even rough examples can now be justified. though sentiment and the hobby aspect still have to play a large part.

• Like 1

Took a trip up into the valleys today to an upholsterer/ trimmer who is going to sew me a new headliner. I already sourced the correct PvC from Martrim but haven't got round to getting it sorted. This chap was at a show I went to on Sunday and his work and website checked out so I went for it. I will keep you updated.

i actually had a spare roll of PVC so I'm getting two made up (I might need one for an early B resto) This is will really push things along because headliner in means I can do glass and cards which pretty much breaks the back of the interior. I might need to try and find the seats I put in the loft 8 years ago.

Manky, skanky 25 year old headliner, I hope to post a pic of a lovely new one sometime next week.

We have a quite exciting weekend lined up.

Firstly I have arranged to hire an engine hoist from HSS this Sunday and Ade  and I intend to fit the engine. This will be a big ticket item that will allow me to do all the ancillary piping, wiring etc etc and get me to first start up. Will try to get some action shots of that posted up

Meanwhile I now have the other big hold up sorted with the collection of these!

Cant wait to start on this cause that should allow me to finish the interior off

• Like 3