Project "J"

stradacab

Engine installation. I had plans to take loads of progress pics but we put it on the sling, jacked it up, lowered it in and it was all over! 

Ade was determined to get it running so we did the fuel pipes and ran from a can. We fitted the front pipe as that's all I have at the moment and had to mess around with the engine earth that I will need to do properly later. We thought it was the starter before we realised. Next pain was the static timing as I have converted it to electronic ignition and it was put together the way I thought was right. It wasn't !

After that we robbed an emergency coil and amp from the Ascona (yep, that doesn't work either) and finally had a spark

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Now it doesn't have the nose pointing skyward and more. I think it will settle with use and a bit more weight in it yet (glass and seats etc)

• Like 4

Next pain was the static timing as I have converted it to electronic ignition

Be aware that with points ignition Opel/Vauxhall cars of this era the original wire from the ignition switch to the coil is ' ballasted '. for electronic ignition this requires replacing with a plain wire.

I do like the wearing of surgical gloves to ' operate ' on this Manta, i can imagine behind the camera there was a stainless steel trolly with all the tools laid out in order of use !!

The first ' Fire up ' after a major overhaul / restoration is a major turning point, it is only mechanical items doing what is expected of them but somehow it means much more, the car transforming from a collation of bits into something that has life, you must be like a proud dad !!

• Like 3

More engine bay detailing and work

Repainted the rocker cover as I wasn't happy with it then refitted with the lead guide from (I think) a 2.4. Throttle cable set up, heater matrix in and all the heater hoses fitted, fuel pipes finished and a nice set of yellow leads. Also done the oil and filter

restoring and painting the rad next, it's just sat there loose atm

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

December update.

i have finished some brake fluid leaks and bled. Also finished the engine bat refinishing and modding the air cleaner to fit the carb etc.

After some (loads) of fettling to get the headliner as I wanted it I have started to fit it in properly. There are two ways to fit the sunroof, place the trim shell over the headliner or trim the shell when fitted. To give it a factory look I'll trim it. Fitting underway...

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big up to Dave Boulton for helping me fit the front and rear screens today. Many thanks

Since the last update I have continued the fitting of the headlining very methodically to try to get it looking as good as possible. You can see the relocated courtesy light and the roof shell trimmed over so it looks as factory as it's going to get. I need to source some black edging and will probably plastic paint the handle and finisher to tie it in. I need to locate a drivers sun visor too.

With the glass in place the material has tightened and the last of the wrinkles should disappear when the grab handled, rear side windows etc are fitted.

The rear shelf was all wobbly so I sourced a good grey one, removed the carpet, painstakingly cleaned off the old glue and repainted Matt black (your local Hobbycraft acrilic paint) so that looks fresh with just the factory custom upgraded speakers to fit now.

Spent the rest of the night cleaning the rear cards and repairing them.

Front screen with newly painted arms and blades fitted

• Like 4

On 11 January 2016 at 7:21 PM, brady said:

Thats one classy looking manta, and will be completed just in time for hopefully some good weather!

Keep em pics coming..........

Is that screen new?

Thanks! Screen is second hand used and just about OK. If I can source a better over time I will but finding non tinted glass is a challenge.

Last night I waxoyled the rear of the sills, fitted and glued one card in, did the seat belts and weather strips etc. the rear shelf is fitted properly now. Tonight I will do the opposite side. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was dry for long enough to push the car out of the garage today and clean back. Thought I could get some shots and do an update.

Went in the loft of the garage and retrieved the front seats that have been up there since 2008 and the rears stored in the house. They were a tad dusty but did try for a blitz effect

they are a bit baggy but are the best and closest the the honeycomb cloth I could find. I may retrim these at a later date or locale some Recaros

Two interior shots, I haven't tidied my tools out so it could look better but just to give an idea

still lots of work to do. I need a subframe to chassis are, revised decals, wheels to be blasted, fit radio, drop glass weather strips, windscreen inserts, raid fitted, exhaust, new servo and loads of other bits too. I feel like I'm on the home stretch though

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 4

The foam disintegrates over time. It is possible to on pick the stitching and sew in a new piece of foam and backing then re sew the seat fronts back into the vinyl. Just a long and mucky job. 

If I was going to the bother I would start with the honeycomb cloth, sew and let in new fronts for authenticity. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20 December 2015 at 6:16 PM, stradacab said:

December update.

i have finished some brake fluid leaks and bled. Also finished the engine bat refinishing and modding the air cleaner to fit the carb etc.

After some (loads) of fettling to get the headliner as I wanted it I have started to fit it in properly. There are two ways to fit the sunroof, place the trim shell over the headliner or trim the shell when fitted. To give it a factory look I'll trim it. Fitting underway...

Great job. Were did u get the roof liner? 

22 hours ago, seangteowens said:

Great job. Were did u get the roof liner? 

Got mine from http://www.carbon-car.com/ under the Manta B items, very good quality items.

140,-- €
90101 wie 90103 aber Schiebedachversion/like 90103 but sun roof version 150,-- €
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to period ICE so I present the Pioneer KE4300 in all its glory. I have a bit of a collection of Sharp and Pioneer entertainment from around 1980 to 1985 so none of my cars will ever want for the correct stereo. Back in the day these units were in the 150 quid price range so we're very expensive bits of kit. Well built and the sound is excellent.

You can also se a fader control has been fitted in the correct factory position (again, the dash was already drilled)  and topped off with a rear wiper knob with the logo carefully removed to complete the "dealer fitted" look

The door speakers are not correct but the cards had already been cut but the shelf speakers have been upgraded with a set of 3.5  Alpine custom fits and refitted in the correct position

Finally, I have got a set of blasted arms from Chris T that now have two coats of satin black and are ready to take some new bushes which will get me closer to the MOT station

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Dreadfully long time since my last update so thought I had better post.

The grand plan was scuppered by the move by the VBOA of Billing to the following week (I had been very organised and booked all my leave in October last year)

The idea was that the car would make it's grand appearance at Billing 2016 but, as I won't be attending, the return to the road has been more of a soft launch so to speak.

It was MOT'd about 3 weeks ago and passed first time. Something I was amazed about as it is a collection of parts and a car that has stood for 18 years. Also, it drives really nicely, again, axle, box, engine etc etc were all an unknown quantity so to get something right first time is a big bonus,

The car made its debut at the Bristol Classic Car Show and I think ther might be a piece on it in this weeks Classic Car Buyer which will be a nice momento.  Again, it had only done 5 miles locally before the drive to Shepton Mallett and it didn't let me down. We went to castle Combe this weekend and I used it on Dunday for pottering. I love it.

I will post some pics later and detail what I still have to do (Which is lots before I am happy) but a very rusty, accident damaged Manta GT-J that was last taxed in 1998 has a new lease of life when it would probably ended up being broken in 2008 when I bought it. I only did it cause I liked the spec and it has come out exactly as I intended in my minds eye.

What the hell am I going to do in the evenings now??