Project "J"

stradacab

It doesn't feel like I've done much on it this week, but I just remembered that I did the brakes on the Ascona Thursday and the windscreen on Saturday, so I have been "Opeling", just not so much on the GT/J.

I have finished welding up the nose cone, mainly repairing the flanges, welding up some un needed trim clip holes and derusting. As it isn't going to be fitted yet I've moved back to the "a" pillars to start work there now.

:lol::lol: he already is!

More like a Jedi idiot! :blink:

This car has rusty bits I've never come across before, and lots of bits everywhere, just look at the state of this pedal box!

IMG_3398.jpg

So more cutting and quite a bit of effort tonight to make a new plate that is strong, watertight and tidy (especially as when the soundprofing is on no-one will ever see it again!!) I must be mad.

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

Just have to finish the side bit of it tomorrow and move on to the next disaster area!

(Your weld-thru primer is excellent by the way Darren, do you have any more?)

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

What! ? blink.gif I have never EVER seen a Manta rust at that location, that is simply just weird!? wacko.gif

Well, it is bound to be good once finished, you really are doing a great job on the looks of things, hope that i can do it just half as good on my A series. Haven´t welded on a car in 3-4 years by now dry.gif

I hope that I have found all of the major bits. The car in now practically all stripped, if it is there I should have seen it. There is no trim or sound deadening etc for it to hide under, but you never know!!

My GT/J 400R has rusted through the top of the pedal box as well, I thought it was normal!

I've checked the original brochure and the Haynes manual and they definately didn't come from the factory like that :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have moved down to the footwells and floor. My problem here is that replacing the floorpan would be no good because most of the damage is around the bulkhead. I have seen rust in one corner, over the legs or along the seam. On this car, yep, you guessed it, it's rotten everywhere!

I am doing it in areas so it will be a bit more "platey" than I would ideally like but I'm trying to leave as much in as a guide instead of chopping it all out at once. Using the car as a pattern is further hampered by the fact that it has been welded more than once before and bashed about to get MOT plates in.

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

The cardboard plate is now cut, shaped and welded in. I need to do the floor over the jack point and close the front off while trying to keep it looking as close as possible to original

That repair in just the corner alone is going to take 5 plates. I then need to move up to the top and then over to the chassis leg tops.

It isn't like the shell is a basket case, just that it involves work in a lot of areas.

I've finised that bit!

Been going fo rexactly one month (not sure if that as any relevance, just thought I'd mention it)

IMG_3416.jpg

A splash of etch primer to stop it surface rusting whhile I continue across the floor and bulkhead

IMG_3415.jpg

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

The last two nights work..

That nasty washer bottle are where they always rust and it is such a bitch to repair! I've done loads of these, and this is the best I've managed so far (and remember it had a bashed and welded on MOT plate on before I started too)

So this is letting in the base of the washer bottle area...

IMG_3418.jpg

Bringing in the A panel

IMG_3421.jpg

And that horrible double curve across the panel seam.

IMG_3428.jpg

Inside is on display so you have to consider the bay too.

IMG_3422.jpg

I'm happy enough to live with that.....

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

I've closed the top of the inner arch, repaired the last bit of the pedal area and moved on to the inner wing at the side of the servo.

Cut it out and had a poke. I'm going to need to do another plate on the bulkhead, make a folded piece to replace the seam and the plate the wing.

Maybe I'm tired but I seen to be at the "finding lots more bits of welding stage" and couldn't get into it tonight.. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Right! now that the silly distraction of Billing is out of the way....

I finished the inner wing to bulkhead before Billing but had to take a week off to get the Ascona ready!

Welded the other floor plate in, and will join the two tomorrow night.

floor.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update time, it's been a while! Went to Greece for two weeks straight after Billing so there has been nothing much done for a month! There's o rush though

I have closed the footwell up and made the last plate up to finish the front off. The repair to this front bulkhead, floor and inner arch has involved 26 separate plates I have had to cut, shape and build up. I reckon the result looks as factoryish as possible in view of the fact it's a big repair. Have put a coat of etch primer to protect it. I will do inside when I have picked up a few pinholes on the floor.

IMG_3932.jpg

The other side doesn't look so bad so I'm hoping that will be a bit kinder to me!

Next up is a repair to the seat mount before attacking the rear of the sill

On Thursday cut out and plated the thin floor around the drivers side seat mount, I need to grind off where the seat mount sits in the floor

IMG_3937.jpg

Moved back the the offside rear sill. Didn't bother with a "before" pic, you know what a crunchy sill looks like!

This car is rotten in all the ususal places but just a bit more rotten so that you end up having to repair all the metal that the bit of metal you want weld to welds to! So here the outer sill, web and inner sill along with the floor beneath the rear seat and the inner wheel arch need repair......

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935-1.jpg

The inner rear sill was so bad the jack point had torn when I lifted the car. I saw another forum member removed and made this piece up on a bronze Cavalier he repaired and decided that I would drill the spots and do the same (great place to get ideas this!)

Besides its a relativley easy panel to fab if you are patient.

IMG_3936.jpg

On the downside I know that the nearside sill is MUCH worse!!

Edited by stradacab