Project "J"

stradacab

I've been out there every night this week just for a couple of hours each time. It's slow going and complex and it doesn't feel like I've achieved much but there is lots of fiddly stuff to get it right.

Repaired the floor under the seat to accept the inner sill plate, welded the plate onto the inner wheel arch and spot welded the rear seat belt mount back on (I still have to remember to put the tab on that holds the back seat in)

IMG_3960.jpg

So the inner sill is spot welded on now, and I have extended the remains of the strengthener and tacked it to the inner.

IMG_3950.jpg

Since the picture was taken I have repaired the other inner bit that comes down from the b post. The outer sill needs some metal welding on to make up the door recess where that has rotted away too. All this takes time and needs to be accurate so the shut lines are uniform, but I hope to have the outer sill done the first half of this week.

Must say what a pleasure it is to see some lovely neat welding and some nice fabrication work there Stradacab.....

BUT will go on to say that I'll never understand why people replace the original lip on the inner wheel arch beneath the wing with the exact same water and crap trap that Opel fitted in the first place. Originally it was there for the manufacture process of giving 2 seams available for spot welding during automated or speed manufacture, a wrapped around un-original fold around this area and seam welded would be better for any repair for longevity.

Apologies if this has come across as being unconstructive but I absolutely hate this original area of the Manta being replaced "Originally" when it can be done better, seen it done so many times and it just annoys me to see people putting back the same fault that helped cause this area to corrode in the first place. still done pretty bloody damn good though :thumbup

Thanks so much as usual for the encouragement, when I get a bit tired of the slog a few words from this forum really give me a boost, especially from opel2000 who has turned out work with a level of detail far better than I could ever manage. :thumbup

Clive, you are totally right, I'm kind of engineering a fault back into the car with the lip. My only defense it that, I am trying to keep it as "factory" as I can within the confines of my equipment and ability.... The new metal is weld thru primed so I hope should resist corrosion and, lets face it, all our cars live a pampered life now so there'll be no prolonged winter driving on salty roads in future for this car!!!

Thanks Stradacab, was a little worried my post may/could have been taken the wrong way. :thumbup

And to be perfectly honest it is nice to see the work you are doing, but I think more than that it is nice to see someone that knows how to use their equipment and can lay superb weld seams coupled with a damn good spot of fabrication, always makes me feel guilty when seeing topics like this as I could have done similar work to this on my Manta but in the odd area I just went for welding in thick pieces of material regardless of how it would look just to make it strong (repair rather than restore) really to do the work correct takes a lot more work than simply repairing.

Absolutely faultless Stradacab, especially on a car that many many people would have walked away from :thumbup :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely faultless Stradacab, especially on a car that many many people would have walked away from :thumbup :thumbup

Thanks, but there's plenty of time for that yet!! :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------

So work continues, sorry for the crummy pics tonight, it's late, it's dark and I'm tired!

Finished the sill outer, and repairs around it- door shut and the inner arch, havent attached it to the arch as that will be cut out and replaced.

IMG_4061.jpg

I've ground the excess weld off and blown some self etch primer over to protect it.

IMG_4056.jpg

Ther are some tiny floor repair outstanding then it's on to the rear corner. I have been saving repair panels for this area. It doesn't look too bad but, as seems to be the case with this car, it has corroded far enough to mean I have to let in about 2 inches of boot floor with the flange and the inner strengthening web before I can do the outer. The inner arch will also need to be repaired afterwards so that's at least 4 plates to repair one hole!

IMG_4062.jpg

You can see that the metal is rotten along at least half of it's length

Edited by stradacab

Looking forward to seeing this repair.........

IMG_4062.jpg

On my current Manta this was pretty much the same (don't know why the early 'B's go here) and had to repair the floor before putting some steel on the inner boot vertical/slightly angled braces so I could tie them into the floor.

Then I had to cobble up some profile to mount the lower rear quarter to the flange I had created at the edge of the replaced boot floor.

Then there was the inner wheel arch area which had to be replaced too.

And of course the arch repair seection whic had to go into place too.....

Quite a pain in the ass little area

Mainly used 1.5mm in this area, mainly due to the fact that the water ingress I was getting due to incomplete car being stored outside may have caused too much corrosion with thinner steel before car complete, plus it gave me a good base to weld the thinner materials to. My repair isn't at all pretty but was very pleased with the end result with all steel replaced good and strong and watertight.

Look forward to seeing it done properly stradacab :thumbup heck of a job to do this area as Opel originally put it though.

I reckon they rot here cause moisture collects and it stays damp over time.

On the Ascona I drilled two holes at the very end by the inner arch for drain holes. They are similar to the holes that should be along the outer sill but generally get blocked, or welded over, when your MOT man bangs a cover sill or shitty plate over the original sill for a quick ticket!

Mk2 Cavaliers and the like had a sort of 30mm hole with a big grommet in that position to let water drain from the sunroof channels. I'm probably going to source a couple of those and fit them- water will drain, air can ventilate! (I seem to remember my GTE hatch had them too?)

Some progress today. I have moved the car forward and stuck it's arse in the air as high as poss so I can work around the back.

The boot floor is very poor where the rear panel meets, I've taken some of the deadener off but you can see the holes, thats the stuff that has rotted through, not the thin metal or the holes I find as I poke hard.

IMG_4102.jpg

I always try to leave as much metal there as possible, but this time, because I have to repair inside, I took away more of the rear wing than I normally would. You can see it taped and measured so I can keep reference points.

IMG_4107.jpg

Making the plate for the inner strengthener.

IMG_4108.jpg

This took a long time because this will dictate the position of the new piece of boot floor, inner arch and finally where thw outer panel will weld to.

I carved a close approximation of the relief into a block of wood and shaped the new panel

IMG_4111.jpg

A dab of weld thru primer, clean the job, ready to put in

IMG_4113.jpg

Complete! and a splash of primer to protect it. The rest of this should come together easily now because I have a perfect point to work from.

IMG_4115.jpg

I maybe have a bit of a plan for the other side that I might be in a position to reveal next week if it all comes off OK.......

I have these areas to repair on my hatch - made more complicated on the hatch because of the proximity to the petrol tank!

I considered using Capri lower quarter repair panels (cheap) but I need to measure one up really to see if it will be suitable.

I have these areas to repair on my hatch - made more complicated on the hatch because of the proximity to the petrol tank!

I considered using Capri lower quarter repair panels (cheap) but I need to measure one up really to see if it will be suitable.

I think you can still get hatch repair panels from Germany. I can't remember how close the tanks is (it's been a while since I was under a hatch!) but you could easily drop the tank if you were concerned.

excellent work there,coupe the same in those areas as well,have to admit though im getting someone else do welding

must be more satisfying doing yourself,but aint got knowledge to do

panels are still available for repair to lower 1/4,just make sure u get correct ones leon

good luck with project

Edited by manta3000

400 miles, curry, Travelodge, 5 cutting discs.........

P030911_1033.jpg

P030911_0853_01.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Absolutley knacked after this trip, such a shame about this car, superb pre-crash condition. It was still full of wax in the box sections and so clean inside it looked like a car that was 5 years old not 25. I guess the only consolation is that it has probably helped save some other cars, certainly it will move my project along.

That is some good panels cut off that car and worth a ton of money, i was told recently that rear panels are now worth more than rear 1/4s

I would of taken the other 1/4 too even if it was damaged just for spare and the panel looks a shallow dent?

Well worth the trip though :thumbup