Project "J"

stradacab

Thanks for the comment but I can't take credit for the legs, they were bought from Eckhard, i just built them up and fitted them!

The replacement jacking points are a bit sloppy so you need to do some work to get them to look nice. First is to change the tube to accept the original jack. The flanges need to be cut square and bent to meet the leg and the lips cut back so it sits level with the floor (these are thicker than original) and then weld it in. Currently tied to the outer sill, I have to make a plate to close the inner sill up and plug weld to the strengthener.

image_zps38b1567f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last update at the start of Feb? How time flies!

Thought I ought to do a quick progress report cause I have done loads of stuff that doesn't look massive, but work completed now will have a big effect on the finished product.

Welding is all finished although I need to make a decision on an arch I repaired, I'm not happy with it and might end up doing it again.

Once the welding was done I turned my attention to the sunroof. I have a complete roof skin in stock but really wanted a sunroof, but a really nice quality one that suited the car. I picked up another Webasto Topslider back in 2008 when I bought the car, so I modified the existing hole to take the new sunroof. This is the same one I fitted to B811 VHT, my old GTE hatch, I loved that roof!

Here is a hole ready to accept the roof after paint.

imagejpg1_zps6f0115a1.jpg

I also have bought 3m of headliner material that perfectly matches the original, need to call on Mum and her sewing machine for a bit of needlework and make a new one to pattern.

The car is changing from Pine Green to Polar White so in other news I have coloured the "A" posts as the gun won't get in there when the wings and doors are fitted. The other job is to colour the inside of the "a" posts too because on the GT/J the insides are body coloured and not covered in trim.

imagejpg1_zps28e083e4.jpg

imagejpg1_zps6acc4d5b.jpg

And lastly, with the welding all done, the hydrate 80 and primer has started to be applied, seam sealer is on, and I have so far put one coat of Tetra Schultz from a can on the trans tunnel

imagejpg1_zps8596d437.jpg

The rest needs to be primed and painted, I will use a compressor and gun to apply the rubberised Schutz to the high-impact areas on the outer parts of the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

The march forward continues.

The whole underside is painted with Hydrate 80 and most of it has now been primed. Desperate to see a bit more in a finished state I have Tetra Schutz'd the back of the centre section.

imagejpg1_zps9d7a8175.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc43d91ae.jpg

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Were sunroofs ..rooves ..ruffs standard on a GT/J? Seems a shame not to take the opportunity to fill it in at this stage and prevent future problems of leaks and rot. Either way, this is coming along really well, we've all seen your high standard of welding before so know this will be spot on, but I hope you find all the replacement bits you need a few of them are likely to be somewhat rare.

Edited by Rick-Manta

It's possible that the LHS-drive european GT/J's may have; yet, the 1000 RHS's built/imported for UK market didn't.. I'm Pretty sure of that. Besides, with all your good progress I'm sure you wouldn't want to add such a 'rust' magnet.

Were sunroofs ..rooves ..ruffs standard on a GT/J? Seems a shame not to take the opportunity to fill it in at this stage and prevent future problems of leaks and rot. Either way, this is coming along really well, we've all seen your high standard of welding before so know this will be spot on, but I hope you find all the replacement bits you need a few of them are likely to be somewhat rare.

Not standard but it was on the option list. The car already had an aftermarket tin opener sunroof fitted but the catch was broken and the seals etc are probably over 20 years old. I could have replaced the roof skin as I have one in stock, but slightly enlarging the hole and fitting a Webasto Topslider was slightly easier and I actually want a sunroof in it.

I've got all the bits (somewhere!) the only thing I don't have is the correct seats with the sort of beehive trim. Fronts missing as rear faded from black to purple. I have a set of black velour seats from an SR which is as close as I have got so far. My dream would be to find the correct cloth and retrim Rercaros to get the look and a more comfy seat. I don't think that will happen for reasons of cost and standing any chance of finding a roll of original cloth

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! Slowly getting there, I haven't posted much cause none of it looks very glamorous or interesting but I am shortly to start putting bits back on the underneath so that must mean we are slightly nearer to the end of the job than the beginning!

Ah right, is the seat material the "donegal tweed" that was in the 1983 and 84 facelift GTJs then, probably with basic plastic or no headrests too?! At least the B seats would be more comfortable.. I've only ever seen that material in a brochure, never in the flesh (this is assuming it's the same one)

your on the right side of the hill now once you start bolting back on. This post is due another visit, and a thorough read. next rainy night!

As I can see myself in GTJ territory soon! , (green too!), I always thought its the actual car that is the key to any good project.

No matter how bad, or good the actual shell is, its the actual shell that we are all finding harder and harder to find as time passes.

Stradacab, amazing job. looking forward as always to seeing her finished. any ideas on look, or will it be 100% original

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday afternoon and a bit of today i did the following:-

Unmasked after a second coat of Schutz.

Painted and refitted the handbrake lever

Fitted the fuel line and the front to rear brake line

Fitted some bungs, bump stops etc

imagejpg1_zpsc4be2c94.jpg

Not a very exciting post BUT this is a monumental weekend because I AM FINALLY PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER!!!

Original plan was to refurbish and paint the axle and front crossmember before getting the car painted but I figure they might get overspray on them so new idea is to fit them as they are, get the car painted and fitted up and them get them done afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Loving this build, it's top quality work and the chassis legs are an item I will be buying as they look ace. Great inspiring work which shows anything can be saved with a lot of foresight, time and heart.

Edited by Danny D114BCW
  • Like 1

Preparing to get it back on its feet now.

Axle being cleaned up ready to refit. I reckon it will get overspray on it when the car it being painted so I am not going to spend hours lovingly painting it now. It needs new bushes anyway so will fully overhaul and detail underneath after painting. One of the pipes was so badly rusted it burst band sprayed brake fluid out when I first drove after picking it up. An essential job therefore a is to fit new brake lines so I can get an MOT when I am at that point, so here is a picture of my axle with lovely new pipes!

imagejpg2_zpsf58187c4.jpg

Edited by stradacab

• 4 weeks later...

Back on it.

Lowered the shell off the spit tonight and onto axle stands using a complex series of wood, breeze blocks and a factory jack on each side.

Using another series of bits of wood as levers, the trolley jack and more blocks I hit the zone and managed to single handedly fit the rear axle and hook up the brake pipes, roll bar, shockers springs and panhard rod. Brilliant!

Probably took me twice as long, but it all went together beautifully.

I was so pleased I even fitted the boot lid, yes, that's right, I put a panel back on the car!!!!

Now where did I leave that front crossmember............

• Like 2