My Project, GT hatch (PAINTED!!)

Sutty2006

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now that billing is done and over for this year i can relax and look back on what ive achieved (with the help of some good friends).

From this

MantaHocks003.jpg

SP_A0121.jpg

To This

BIL1.jpg

BIL2.jpg

Really, it brings a tear to my eye getting 2nd in its class. Id like to thank everyone whos helped me along the way, including those who have lifted me up when things went up sh1t creek (several times)

• 3 months later...

Well she's back at mine for some light mincing. Repair to washer bottle tray, rear nearside sill and front chassis leg (surprise!). Spose I'll get carried away and end up polishing stuff, painting stuff etc. Sigh

• 1 month later...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNDDDD yes, as predicted, I have indeed got carried away!! Various engine parts painted/polished, front suspension painted, bits of overspray removed from under the bonnet.

Hopefully Sutty will post piccys, really must learn how to.

• 2 years later...

Wow, I havent updated this one for a while!

Im rebuilding a 2.0SEH engine, going in very soon!

20seh.jpg

Ive put the 2.0 cam into a spare 1.8 cam housing so i can use the original dizzy setup.

I have a fannymold made up to use a weber carb! :D

First problem I have encountered is the modified 1800 inlet fannymold i have with the 2.0 stud holes has been cut short of the brake servo union. Dads gonna drill and tap it at work tomorow, fingers crossed i can put the original union in without too much problems. Oh and i need a crank position sensor to block a hole up!

Well I got round to putting all the bits on this engine. 2 carb adapter plate bolts rounded off so had to grind and drill them out :( . Wired up a facet fuel pump and she fired up first turn of the key!

However with this custom inlet manifold to run 32/34 dmtl weber the bonnet will not shut :( so now it's back to the drawing board.

Well, i'll keep updating incase anyones still watching..

Lost abit of heart when I couldnt shut the bonnet... but I wanted this car back on the road for the Kit car show etc.

So heres a few picks.

As you can see, the carb sits above the wing line.

IMG_0388.jpg

So me and my mate got the grinder on my old carmine red bonnet

bonnetcut.jpg

Pacman

bonnetpacman.jpg

And with the use of a FORD KnN air filter....

mantaengine.jpg

Now pokes through the bonnet...

bonnetairfilter.jpg

Not to everyones taste.. definately not to mine, but without redesigning the engine mounts/gearbox mounts/inlet manifold, this was the quickest and cheepest way to get the car ready for the upcoming weekend!!

Centre of the bonnet now rattle can'd with matt black to disquise the huge scratches!

I'm still watching Sutty, at the end of the day when push comes to shove it solves your problem in a cheap and cheerful way (pac man):)

Must say seeing your thread and others does give me the impoteus to start on my car but then it dies off again, but really must start getting into gear and getting some parts together for it.

It's all standard, I was thinking about shallower mounts but they'd have to be wafer thin to give enough clearance when the bonnet is shut. The gap is roughly half an inch around the filter, will be opening it out more while it's off... Got plenty of bits to finish off :)

what about something more like a b series filter pan , that could be cut and reshaped being steel maybe recess the the carb mount a bit more to leave space for the bonnet? :blink:

Well, you see, that's the long term plan.... But not until next year. Bike carbs and an astra gte cam.

In all fairness the power increase from 1800 to 2000cc is imence. The 32/34 twin choke weber carb has only had minor tweaks to up the fueling measured on a gas analyser. It goes like stink!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...