Ascona A = Manta A

mantai200

Well I finally started work on my Ascona A Voyager ( estate ) this afternoon . The plan is to put an A Series Manta front end on it so as to turn it into an A Series Estate . I already have a pair of inner wings ( the Ascona ones are rotten ),Nosecone, bonnet, grilles,lights and n/s wing, I just need to get an o/s wing and then I'll have all the necessary panels to convert it. The car will be powered by a Senator 3.0 LTR 24v engine with a super chipped ecu.

So far I have managed to remove the original nosecone and n/s inner wing and fit the new Manta inner wing. I would post some pics but don't know how to.

Thanks for the kind words guys and yes it is the shell off ebay. I ended up going to Colchester for it and finally got home at about 2.30 am after approx 10 hours on the road, but it'll be worth it when it's done . If all goes to plan, I hope to have it at Billing this year, oops better pull my finger out.

This was one conversion begging to be done but are you sure you need a 24 valve WITH a supercharger,the rest of the car will need major upgrading to cope.

By the way will Ascona Voyager + Manta = Voyanta? thats gotta a better ring to it than the other way around Man-ager!

Finally got round to fitting the o/s inner wing this weekend. It took a little longer than expected due to finding some perforating of the bulkhead once I had removerd the servo. So once that was dealt with, the inner wing was welded into place. I have started to clean up the nosecone ready to be fitted but need a manta A Series lower valence before the nosecone is fitted. So if anyone has one they want to sell, let me know and it does'nt have to be perfect so long as the indicator surrounds are ok as I will be needing to cut the centre section out so as to fit the 24v radiator.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Managed to spend a couple of hours on the Ascanta this afternoon and welded the Manta nosecone into position. I also made a new battery tray and welded that in. I only had a couple of hours due to the immense response of my for sale advert of my green wide arched a series-- which sold to the first person to view it

I'm glad but sad at the same time, but at least it will free up my time so I can try and get this beast ready for Billing '08.

I trial fitted an old A Series grille and it looked rather spooky seeing an A Series estate. Can't wait to get stuck in properly though now.

If all goes to plan then the car should be at Billing '08. It all just comes down to time but mainly the weather as 99% of the work has to be done on my drive, then couple that with neighbours who complain if I sneeze let alone get a grinder out , then you see the predicament i'm in, but hey ho, it'll get there in the end and with the colour schemes I have in mind, it should look cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally got a little more done to the ascanta. I have made some panels that go under the headlights and welded them on.( the outer 2 panels were my first attempt and the inner 2 were my second attempt, so once I had sussed out the best way to do them , I redone the outer panels). They still require a little fettling with a linisher but will look ok once done.

I have also bought a copy of the irmscher TE2800 arch kit to go onto the ascanta aswell. It is very similar to the one I fitted to my green a series but is about 1/2 as wide so is therfore a little more subtle ( similar to the width difference between a 400 and i240 kit) I have tried to upload my pics, but they won't play ball ( even though I had resized them as you explained at the AGM Robbie )

After trial fitting the arch kit, I think the car will look alright even if it is an estate. The colour scheme is having a rethink at the moment as to be honest, I do like the green my a series was painted mmmmmmmm

I have cleaned up and repainted both front and rear axles and so the plan for next weekend is to get them fitted and finally turn this shell into a rolling chassis at last

• 4 months later...

Hi Bluethunder, never seen that car before but it's a pure piece of art. I saw 2 manta A estates at a Dutch show in Rosmalen back in '96 and allways wanted one. It has taken me until now to get hold of an Ascone A estate so I can turn it into a manta a estate. The car is coming along now with new front inner wings welded on,nosecone welded on, new lower valence fitted, both front and rear axles fitted. Hopefully the engine shall be going in, in the next week or so.

• 2 months later...

Just thought that I would update things as it's been a while since I have done anything to the Ascanta project. The whole front end is welded on including the lower valence ( which I fetched from Belgium, there and back within a day and welded on the car the very next day ) and both front A-pillars, front floor pans are now completed. Welding wise, I only have 2 more small pieces to do and thats it . Both front and rear axles are painted up and fitted,with all new bolts. I managed to get a fuel tank from Mark Kinnon, which I have now bare metaled,rust treated and painted with copious amounts of hammerite, so that should last a while. The engine has now become a 1.9 block, bored out to 2.2 mated with the cylinder head and internals from A99 JUE ( the first i200, which was sadly scrapped some years ago ) and I have cleaned it all up and re-painted it along with the gearbox. I now have my swirl pot and 2 pumps ready to be fitted and also I have decided to keep the car as an automatic ( for now) and see how it goes, solely because it is an auto shell and to convert it to manual would mean changing the pedal box and adapting the bulkhead for the clutch cable to go through, but you never know, things always change with projects like this...... The plan now is for the car to be on the road just after christmas with the bodykit fitted and then painted as soon as possible, that is, once I have decided on the colour. :thumbup

• 1 month later...