1987 Manta GTE refurb - I really should get a life

Petrol

• 2 weeks later...

The sound deadening was slightly damp so with everything out of the car, I sprayed water over the top and nothing came in. I then sprayed under the arches and down the sills, I traced it to a badly fitted aerial grommet. It’s now watertight so I have re fitted them.

I mixed a strong solution of washing powder that did not contain bleach up – half a beaker in a gallon of warm water and poured it all over the seats. It’s not a good idea to use a sponge or scrubbing brush as you run the risk of “furring” the fabric. Using my hand I carefully rubbed it in. I then left everything for about an hour and thoroughly washed the soap powder off with a fine spray attachment on the hose pipe. In order to get all the powder solution out of the foam, I carefully pressed the seats to squeeze it out. I probably rinsed everything for about 2 – 3 minutes. The seats take a full day in the sun to more or less dry out but it’s a bit damp to the ass for a couple of days.

“Furring” of fabric can be rectified by shaving. Have a look here for more info – post 320

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=283826&page=16

Get that black stuff off the floor as that holds water (blow torch and scraper works), and dont put the sound proffing back in as that holds water very well too. Looks mint that car though! :thumbup

Danny, Tut tut

Better option is to actually make sure water ingress into the passenger compartment is stopped at source.

The sound deadening does a very good job on the Manta, only when water leaks into the cabin area can it be an absolute pain in the ass.

Petrol if you take a look at this topic viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16948&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30 this will give you a couple of ideas where water ingress into the cabin area of the Manta starts.

the washer bottle area is absolutely notorious on the facelift 'B's for corrosion and it is where the inner wing/washer bottle platform/and inner wing to A pillar (3 seams) join together that always causes a problem.

Other areas are the battery tray, or rather the seam beneath the battery tray, as this has a seam of sealant run btween the tray and the bulkhead, and can not generally be seen. The engine bay side of this has some sound deadening over it along with the rear brake line over the sound deadening so is not a 5 minute task to access the seam, but is well worth tackiling if you have a good Manta and you have the time and inclination.

Another good idea is to remove the kick panels, as if they are looking damp and distorted, there may well be water ingress into the A pillars again See James thread that I posted the link up to. Water ingress is usually more confined to the passenger side area though as this is beneath the generally more troublesome area of the battery tray.

• 2 months later...

I hate to say this but this car will be for sale in the not too distant future. This is a genuine opportunity to buy what is probably one of the few, original examples left. Having covered less than 30K miles it's about the best unmolested example you will find.

The car has been dry stored for 99.9% of it's life and everything works

It will be advertised on pistonheads, SXOC, Autotrader and on this board in the not too distant future but after all my efforts to find it, I would rather it go to a real Manta enthusiast.

Long MOT and TAX

£2500

If you want any specific pics then I can take them. You can email me at

peter.raymond879@btinternet.com